• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Grandal

jessecrall

Per the LA Times, Grandal rejected a 4/60 offer from the Mets before they went with Ramos. So I guess that's the 4-year offer we've heard about...Bad news is that apparently, he felt secure enough to reject such an offer (unless he really didn't want to play for the Mets...understandable). Good news is that one of the big buyers is off the table and Grandal's prospects might be dimming. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/rumors-grandal-mets-dodgers-tigers-castellanos.html

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't think 4/60 is that bad, honestly. Obviously I wouldn't want to go more than that but I wouldn't pitch a fit if the Angels offered that much. It's not my money.

just for comparison's sake, we signed vlad for 5/75 plus a 6th year team option.

at 4/60, grandal would be paid as much as vlad was. let that sink in a moment.

This whole Grandal situation feels like a carbon-copy of Mike Moustakas' free agency last year. 

Solid player who gets tagged with a QO (that they probably should have accepted) which puts them in free agency purgatory. The player/agent comes away with an inflated asking price, using the QO's rate as leverage, no team wants to pay anything close to that and lose a draft pick, etc. asking for 5/$75m+ when they're more like a 3/$30m.

By the end of it, Grandal winds up signing with the Dodgers for 1/$10m (and Angel fans will bitch about Eppler jumping the gun with Lucroy)n and goes into it again next season without the QO. 

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This whole Grandal situation feels like a carbon-copy of Mike Moustakas' free agency last year. 

Solid player who gets tagged with a QO (that they probably should have accepted) which puts them in free agency purgatory. The player/agent comes away with an inflated asking price, using the QO's rate as leverage, no team wants to pay anything close to that and lose a draft pick, etc. asking for 5/$75m+ when they're more like a 3/$30m.

By the end of it, Grandal winds up signing with the Dodgers for 1/$10m (and Angel fans will bitch about Eppler jumping the gun with Lucroy)n and goes into it again next season without the QO. 

Well said. If he truly walked away from a 4/60 offer, I gotta believe he is going to be mightily disappointed.

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If his price drops to 3 years and $30 million simply sign him and make Lucroy the back up. 

Sounds good in theory, but I doubt it's realistic. They like what Lucroy can do and gave him the job based on their discussions with him, doubt they'd want to go back on that commitment now. More likely they'd just look at Grandal next offseason, as they'll be in the market once again.

Eppler's committed to these bargains early in the offseason before and stuck with them, even as 'better' players prices dropped later in the offseason.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, the Angels made an offer but, Grandal didnt want to take less than other catchers had taken before him.    Meanwhile in reality-land -- the McCaan and Martin deals are guidelines why teams shouldn't make similar deals moving forward.

From mlbtraderumors.com

• Before signing a one-year deal with the Brewers worth $18.25MM in guaranteed money, Yasmani Grandal received multi-year offers from the Angels, Twins, and White Sox, The Athletic’s Robert Murray reports (subscription required).  These offers were in addition to the four-year deal reportedly floated by the Mets for Grandal, which he turned down.  As Grandal explained, taking the longer-term offers would’ve meant setting what he felt was a bad precedent for free agent catching contracts.  “One of my responsibilities as a player is also to respect the guys going through this process before me like Brian McCann, Russell Martin, Yadier MolinaThese are guys who have established a market and pay levels for a particular tier of catchers like myself,” Grandal said.  “I felt l would be doing a disservice taking some of the deals that were offered even though they were slightly more long term.  I wanted to keep the line moving and set a bar for the younger guys coming up.  In hopes of them following our footsteps….hopefully, they know what they are worth and would go ahead and get paid what they’re worth.”  Grandal can technically achieve a second year on his Brewers deal, a mutual option for 2020 worth $16MM, though it seems unlikely that both he and the team would agree to enact their respective sides of that option.