• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wake up, Eppler

Chuck

On 5/6/2019 at 6:25 AM, arch stanton said:

After making those earlier posts here it occurs to me that the biggest difference between the Angels and the current world champs and the two time defending NL champs is the willingness to eat contracts. The Dodgers and Red Sox each shot way over the CBT and a lot of that was for players who weren't part of their best teams. Maybe when the Angels are a little closer then Billy can convince Arte to dump expensive dead weight but I'm not holding my breath. We're going to have to live with every mistake for the duration so it's probably best that they stick to one year contracts

I agree with your statements but will add that their pitching is leagues better than ours. This Angels team has no real #1 or #2 on the team. The Red Sox and Dodgers pitching staffs are stacked.

1 minute ago, Mark PT said:

I agree with your statements but will add that their pitching is leagues better than ours. This Angels team has no real #1 or #2 on the team. The Red Sox and Dodgers pitching staffs are stacked.

And yet Boston’s starters have performed almost as bad as ours. 

20 minutes ago, Mark PT said:

You can't be serious 

4 of Boston's starters have ERA's of 5.11 or higher. Only Price's is lower (3.75) and he is currently on the IL. 

Their ace, Sale, has an ERA of 6.00 

52 minutes ago, Lou said:

You can't be serious 

4 of Boston's starters have ERA's of 5.11 or higher. Only Price's is lower (3.75) and he is currently on the IL. 

Their ace, Sale, has an ERA of 6.00 

And yet, I am not kidding. These pitchers are having a rough go of it this year, I grant but they have also had great years of dominant performance and have won the WS. So my statement regarded their overall value as acquired assets by their GM. And they have more of a chance to come out of their funk, whereas Angels pitchers will likely not. 

2 hours ago, Mark PT said:

And yet, I am not kidding. These pitchers are having a rough go of it this year, I grant but they have also had great years of dominant performance and have won the WS. So my statement regarded their overall value as acquired assets by their GM. And they have more of a chance to come out of their funk, whereas Angels pitchers will likely not. 

I would rather have Harvey and Cahill on one year deals than Eovaldi for 4 years and $68 million.  Sale has been awful this year and he just got an extension of five years and $150 million, they are probably a little nervous right now.  I may be wrong, but last year he broke down as well.  

Regarding eppler.

He inherited a broken roster, with no farm and a bad payroll. Then the entire pitching staff exploded. Most teams would have tanked...and maybe we should have. But trout made that a no go..

Epplers plan has been to develop a farm. That being the case, cant really judge him yet, IMO. It will come down to whether or not the future core works out or not.

As far as the shitty guys weve brought on, meh. One year deals, no draft picks given up...its hard to get a ton of value that way.

The current setup, with analytics, young players, luxury tax etc etc makes home grown players gold. We had to start from scratch. Its going to take time.

Concur, but I will be so glad though when the year arrives where they finally don't have to bring in so many one year deal type players because the farm will have succeeded with sending up the first bigger wave of solid players. 

Question is, has that year now been moved out to 2021?   Will we see one more season (2020) of this many one year deals?