• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wake up, Eppler

Chuck

Your football analogies suck and you've been asleep at the wheel here dude. 

Ok.... I had to channel my inner @Angel Oracle

That said, I started a thread 3-4 weeks ago asking if anyone knew what Eppler's plan was. Obviously nobody could answer, nobody really knows, but at this point it seems like his plan A, B, C, D, E, F , G and maybe facking Z have been exercised. So what gives? 

The chances of signing the Japanese lefty are probably slim, CAKE-el is an over pay and Grandal's defense blows and he disappears in crucial games. Harvey is a roll of the dice, high risk/reward guy.

Honest question? Does Trout look at this weak offseason and think to himself, another shitty losing season, I cannot wait to bounce? Will Eppler redeem himself in trades and FA signings?

Just blowing off steam, don't judge me.

34 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That said, I started a thread 3-4 weeks ago asking if anyone knew what Eppler's plan was. Obviously nobody could answer, nobody really knows, but at this point it seems like his plan A, B, C, D, EN, F , G and maybe facking Z have been exercised. So what gives? 

The chances of signing the Japanese lefty are probably slim, CAKE-el is an over pay and Grandal's defense blows and he disappears in crucial games. Harvey is a roll of the dice, high risk/reward guy.

Honest question? Does Trout look at this weak offseason and think to himself, another shitty losing season, I cannot wait to bounce? Will Eppler redeem himself in trades and FA signings?

Laces out, Chuck. Laces out!

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That said, I started a thread 3-4 weeks ago asking if anyone knew what Eppler's plan was. Obviously nobody could answer, nobody really knows, but at this point it seems like his plan A, B, C, D, EN, F , G and maybe facking Z have been exercised. So what gives? 

Let's say that Arte were going to expand payroll for a few years when the time was right.  Is the window to do that right now?  

I have been critical of him in that I have suggested he expand payroll ala the Dogs in anticipation of a bunch of prospects coming in the future.  But what makes more sense?  Doing that now when the team really isn't good enough.  Or doing it when the kids actually start to contribute?  Let's say you've got a core of Trout, Simmons, Ohtani, and 3 cheap position player as well as a club controlled pen and 3-4 club controlled starters.  Imagine what you could do with a 200m payroll to supplement that team vs. doing that now.  

56 minutes ago, TroutField said:

he said the trades he was exploring now seem “unrealistic” wtf does that even mean. 

Looks like he overplayed his hand, in my opinion. 

It does, I said a few days ago when the “unrealistic trades” news came out that it was a bad sign.  I wasn’t trying to be negative.  He really does appear to have gotten lost in this market.  Not good. 

I think that’s all true, but there’s still opportunity here.  Even if it’s not perfect.  I still really like Marwin Gonzalez as a fit.  I’ve said a bunch of times that I like Harvey.  Kikuchi seems like a nice get.  And while Grandal is less preferable to  Ramos.  He’d be fine.  I could take it or leave it with him.  

Obviously the big boi’s are still out there.  They’re genuinely extremely unlikely but hey.  The Angels have come out of nowhere before.  

Anyway.  Figure it out Eppler.  F so far. 

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Let's say that Arte were going to expand payroll for a few years when the time was right.  Is the window to do that right now?  

I have been critical of him in that I have suggested he expand payroll ala the Dogs in anticipation of a bunch of prospects coming in the future.  But what makes more sense?  Doing that now when the team really isn't good enough.  Or doing it when the kids actually start to contribute?  Let's say you've got a core of Trout, Simmons, Ohtani, and 3 cheap position player as well as a club controlled pen and 3-4 club controlled starters.  Imagine what you could do with a 200m payroll to supplement that team vs. doing that now.  

I do get this.  I agree that we aren’t in a great spot relative to the Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox.  But... there is something to be said I think for just doing what you can.  You never know how things will go.  Simmons is almost 30.  Trout may be into his 30’s when some of these prospects may start rounding into form.  Maybe they don’t.  We don’t know.  The Angels have had multiple high level prospects disappoint in the recent past.  You just don’t know how things will go.  There’s some degree of certainty in what we have in Trout and Simmons right now.  Add Ohtani and Upton(also getting older) to that mix if you like.  They can and should do more then what we’re seeing right now.  There’s offseason left.  But if the Angels keep it going like this and don’t get anything done.  There’s risk in that also.  They have enough good players to build around right now.  They shouldn’t just kick the can down the road. 

I don’t think that’s what your meaning is. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It does, I said a few days ago when the “unrealistic trades” news came out that it was a bad sign.  I wasn’t trying to be negative.  He really does appear to have gotten lost in this market.  Not good. 

I think that’s all true, but there’s still opportunity here.  Even if it’s not perfect.  I still really like Marwin Gonzalez as a fit.  I’ve said a bunch of times that I like Harvey.  Kikuchi seems like a nice get.  And while Grandal is less preferable to  Ramos.  He’d be fine.  I could take it or leave it with him.  

Obviously the big boi’s are still out there.  They’re genuinely extremely unlikely but hey.  The Angels have come out of nowhere before.  

Anyway.  Figure it out Eppler.  F so far. 

I genuinely would rather steer clear of Harper and Machado. He needs to solve Catcher we have nothing in the pipeline, adding a cost controlled decent hitting catcher on the rise isn’t completely out of the question. Trading for a starter and signing a starter is still doable. Also adding some stability to the bullpen like Herrera would be huge, IMO.

Regardless as as long as he doesn’t get desperate and pull some shit like Napoli & Rivera for Wells I’m not going to be too upset. 

Honestly I don’t really give a shit about Arte spending money.  He has tons of equity in the team.  He’s coming up in the end no matter what.  This guy is old.  I’m all for him blasting money at this.  I’m not angry about how he spends.  I don’t think he’s cheap or whatever.  But as a fan I’m not going to worry about how much he spends.  I’m all for him spending.  It’s Epplers job to not fu*ck up what he spends the money on.  

The nature of FA is that imperfect players are what’s available.   Occasionally you see younger players like Machado and Harper.  I’m not saying that we need to get those guys.  But throwing a 3 year contract at guys like Harvey and Gonzalez.  Really.  How risky is that ? They aren’t old for FA.  I don’t think it’s terribly more risky then any other FA deal.  The ones to avoid are the old guys.  Happ, Kinsler etc. Even Grandal to me, is a lot riskier then the guys I’ve mentioned. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I do get this.  I agree that we aren’t in a great sport relative to the Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox.  But... there is something to be said I think for just doing what you can.  You never know how things will go.  Simmons is almost 30.  Trout may be into his 30’s when some of these prospects may start rounding into form.  Maybe they don’t.  We don’t know.  The Angels have had multiple high level prospect disappoint in the recent past.  You just don’t know how things will go.  There’s some degree of certainty in what we have in Trout and Simmons right right now.  Add Ohtani and Upton to that mix if you like.  They can and should do more then what we’re seeing right now.  There’s offseason left.  But if the Angels keep it going like this and don’t get anything done.  There’s risk in that also.  They have enough good players to build around right now.  They shouldn’t just kick the can down the road. 

I don’t think that’s what your meaning is. 

have they though?  When's the last time we've had a stud prospect not work out?  Brandon Wood?  that was almost 10 years ago.  Outside of the '09 draft, we've had exactly jack squat in terms of prospects.  I think that's what has everyone so gun shy about waiting for the farm to develop.  

A lesser Trout at age 30 surrounded by actual young controlled talent supplemented with free agents and trades is better than peak Trout surrounded by varying degrees of free agent talent around him.  

If right now is the bird in the hand, then that little birdie is the same one that told us we might be in on Machado.  That little guy has a broken wing and is blind in one eye but can't see out the other.  

We haven’t had any prospects is exactly right.  But what I mean is that It’s pretty risky to invest a lot of faith into prospects.  I get that we have to go back 10+ years with the Angels but still.  Look at Byron Buxton.  Prospects flop all the time.  I’m just saying, there is risk in signing some of these FA.  There’s also risk in hoping things will work out in a couple of years with our prospects. There’s always risk. 

The Angels have talented players now.  They have stars.  They don’t need to get stars.  They need guys who will be productive.  That’s available.  So the Angels shouldn’t just sit back. 

And again, you don’t know what will happen with guys like Simmons and Upton, and even Trout.  It would just be very unfortunate to not get into the playoffs with these guys.  It’s distinctly possible.  The good news is.  The Angels are close.  Maybe close enough to do it if the cards play right. But they can make themselves much closer.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

9 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

We haven’t had any prospects is exactly right.  But what I mean is that It’s pretty risky to invest a lot of faith into prospects.  I get that we have to go back 10+ years with the Angels but still.  Look at Byron Buxton.  Prospects flop all the time.  I’m just saying, there is risk in signing some of these FA.  There’s also risk in hoping things will work out in a couple of years with our prospects. There’s always risk. 

The Angels have talented players now.  They have stars.  They don’t need to get stars.  They need guys who will be productive.  That’s available.  So the Angels shouldn’t just sit back. 

And again, you don’t know what will happen with guys like Simmons and Upton, and even Trout.  It would just be very unfortunate to not get into the playoffs with these guys.  It’s distinctly possible.  The good news is.  The Angels are close.  Maybe close enough to do it if the cards play right. But they can make themselves much closer.  

I guess that's where our opinions differ.  I just don't see us being that close.  If we're talking about risk, I see a shit ton investing in the current team.  Granted, I don't want to see them sit on their hands.  I'm all for some solid upgrades that at least give the team a shot.  But beyond that, I hope they don't make any drastic moves like Machado, Harper, Keuchel or big time trades.  

The best teams are the ones that wait out the farm system.  Sometimes it doesn't work out and there's always that risk.  But it's the one way we know works.  We've got the resources to supplement that if need be.  That's what I'd save my big bullets for.  

2 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I thought we were all in agreement that they had to do something now or else lose Trout.

If the plan is to save and lose and trade Trout for the world, great. (Not great, sad, but at least it’s a plan that will build towards a yearly winner).

If not, I’m with Chuck, shit or get off the pot.  Open your wallet Arte.  Either play with the big boys or out on a dress and go play with dolls.  

not me.  I don't think what we do this year has any impact on whether Trout stays.  If he's smart, he want the team to be good during his extension.  

I’ve always had the opinion they have to go on a deep run either this year or next year if they want to re-sign Trout.

i don’t see him agreeing to a deal until the team proves they are more clearly headed in the right direction. Having a good farm system is great but Trout is 27 now so it needs to start translating to wins really soon

45 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

have they though?  When's the last time we've had a stud prospect not work out?  Brandon Wood?  that was almost 10 years ago.  Outside of the '09 draft, we've had exactly jack squat in terms of prospects.  I think that's what has everyone so gun shy about waiting for the farm to develop.  

A lesser Trout at age 30 surrounded by actual young controlled talent supplemented with free agents and trades is better than peak Trout surrounded by varying degrees of free agent talent around him.  

If right now is the bird in the hand, then that little birdie is the same one that told us we might be in on Machado.  That little guy has a broken wing and is blind in one eye but can't see out the other.  

Kaleb Cowart?

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I guess that's where our opinions differ.  I just don't see us being that close.  If we're talking about risk, I see a shit ton investing in the current team.  Granted, I don't want to see them sit on their hands.  I'm all for some solid upgrades that at least give the team a shot.  But beyond that, I hope they don't make any drastic moves like Machado, Harper, Keuchel or big time trades.  

The best teams are the ones that wait out the farm system.  Sometimes it doesn't work out and there's always that risk.  But it's the one way we know works.  We've got the resources to supplement that if need be.  That's what I'd save my big bullets for.  

Hey, I’m all for the farm.  We can always buy free agents.  Most of these guys won’t be more the 2 or 3 years deals . Kikuchi is the only one that would maybe require more then that.  

Just get in the playoffs.  Once you’re in the dance anything can happen.  That’s what I mean when I say we’re close.  Playoffs is a possibility for them.  They can increase their odds getting some players this offseason. 

Edited by UndertheHalo