• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Wake up, Eppler

Chuck

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

What I am about to say is not comparing the Angels to the Astros, so I hope it doesn’t turn into that by the usuals on here.

Imagine being an Astros fan right now.  That is a team that is really good, that could have been in the World Series last year.  They have lost 3 starting pitchers and possibly Marwin Gonzales.  With all of the pitchers on the market they haven’t signed any.  They also have a farm that could acquire most of the arms on the trade market.  Lastly they have a payroll that could easily increase.  As of right now their payroll is $125 million for next year.  Boston brought back their pitching.  Yankees are looking to upgrade.  It seems as though Cleveland is upgrading after their 3 team trade.  Just curious what Houston is waiting for.  

Don't let recent success fool you, Houston is a loser franchise, so this isn't really surprising.

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What could be keeping players from wanting to come here?    The farm is solid now.   The club is generally well supported in attendance, even if more stayed away after buying tickets in recent years.   Or is Eppler being overly cautious with the ones who already signed?

Taxes.

Or... they've read posts here on AW.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

What I am about to say is not comparing the Angels to the Astros, so I hope it doesn’t turn into that by the usuals on here.

Imagine being an Astros fan right now.  That is a team that is really good, that could have been in the World Series last year.  They have lost 3 starting pitchers and possibly Marwin Gonzales.  With all of the pitchers on the market they haven’t signed any.  They also have a farm that could acquire most of the arms on the trade market.  Lastly they have a payroll that could easily increase.  As of right now their payroll is $125 million for next year.  Boston brought back their pitching.  Yankees are looking to upgrade.  It seems as though Cleveland is upgrading after their 3 team trade.  Just curious what Houston is waiting for.  

I think Houston is looking down the barrel of losing it's entire starting rotation between now and the end of 2020.  Springer in his walk year in 2020, and some other potential upcoming extensions with a very good group of ready or near ready pitching prospects like James, Perez, Whitley, Martin, Bukauskas, Valdez, Armenteros, and several others.  

They're in a position to graduate a bunch of guys and still have a pretty clear path to winning the division.  They've also got the prospect depth to make a move should they need additional support at the deadline.  

They've also got enough financial ability to extend Cole and to bring back Verlander on a series of 1yr deals should they need to supplement.  

They added Diaz to replace Gonzales who is probably equivalent.  They could probably use an OF upgrade, but they've also got Kyle Tucker and Yordan Alvarez.  Both of whom are top 50 prospects and mlb ready.  They've got JD Davis who is mlb ready as depth for Gurriel at 1b.  They've got Myles Straw as a CF replacement or depth for Springer (no power, 70 sbs, 400 obp in AA/AAA, plus defender.  could only be a 4th OFer type but who knows).  Garrett Stubbs is also a solid platoon LHed hitting C prospect who had a nice year at AAA (someone I'd love the halos to acquire to pair with Smith but I doubt that happens).    

They really only need maybe one back end stater and they're set for 2019.  

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

I am eagerly awaiting your next installment in this series entitled 'Imagine being the Angels right now'.  

5 hours ago, Tank said:

reading through this threads reminds me why "big splash" and "TRAAAAADES!" were such successful threads in this forum for a few years.

seems there are an awful lot of people clamoring for action - any action - like a freshman on his first dance of the year after loading up on his dad's aqua velva and a bow tie and wondering how soon the magic is supposed to happen.

You cant help it when we see everyone else getting laid.

"Hey, what happened with you and corbin? You sign him or what bro?!?!"

"Naw man. He was being freaking stupid. So i just said "whatever". Then me and oaklamd went and signed some free agents at the mall."

"Who?..."

"Naw. You dont know them. Theyre not from around here."

That plus bour is kind of hot, and yeah, we got some, but not all the way got some.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I am eagerly awaiting your next installment in this series entitled 'Imagine being the Angels right now'.  

Imagine being the Angels right now.  We have lost our closer (Parker) our best left handed reliever (Alvarez), our #1 (Richards) 2 (Ohtani) and 3 (Shoemaker) starters from last year.  We have signed no major free agents.  Our catchers are guys no one on the Angels have ever heard of.  We traded our 2nd base man that had a .700 OPS for us.  Our RFer had the worst year of his career.  We probably won’t get any help from our farm the first half of the year.  Oh and we will win about the same number of games as last year.  

You’re welcome @Dochalo

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Imagine being the Angels right now.  We have lost our closer (Parker) our best left handed reliever (Alvarez), our #1 (Richards) 2 (Ohtani) and 3 (Shoemaker) starters from last year.  We have signed no major free agents.  Our catchers are guys no one on the Angels have ever heard of.  We traded our 2nd base man that had a .700 OPS for us.  Our RFer had the worst year of his career.  We probably won’t get any help from our farm the first half of the year.  Oh and we will win about the same number of games as last year.  

You’re welcome @Dochalo

So...Brad ausmus for manager of the year?

I don’t think being concerned or disappointed about the Angels basically not doing anything is irrational.  At the end of the day, it’s better to do nothing then do bad deals, but I think that if spring training rolls around and the Angels haven’t done anything you’re a liar if you claim to be unsurprised.  I think many/most of us expected this offseason to be an opportunity to plug some holes.  I recall when a bunch of us were saying the Angels didn’t have enough internally to fill out the rotation.  We obviously don’t have good internal answers at catcher.  We can upgrade other areas.  

Anyway.  It’s  not the end of the world.  The long term out look still seems positive.  But I’d be liar to pretend that this isn’t disappointing thus far.  Anyway, there’s still guys to be had and time to get them.  Hopefully it’s just playing out slow. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You’re welcome @Dochalo

I thought this was going to be more funny than true.  

Imagine being an Angel fan right now.  Their owner is some marketing genius who is still shell shocked from having his lasagna loving manager no longer with the organization.  The owner is so devastated that he is causing a “factor” that is very concerning to a small amount of fans.  The owner despite having some money, refuses to spend it thus being cheap regardless of how he compares to the other payrolls in the league.  Angel fans have to suffer another year of watching Yoda’s older brother play 1st base.  Angel fans have to deal with a manager that is smarter than they are and not just about baseball.  The fans are all wondering how the GM who 12 months ago brought some Asian dude to the team, has suddenly lost his ability to encourage players to sign with the team.  Word on the streets of Norco is that players don’t want to sign with the team because the big 14 is no longer there.  I guess the real fans will have to wait another year to watch a guy be a full time DH and a full time closer.  Such a Bouring off season.  @Dochalo

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Imagine being an Angel fan right now.  Their owner is some marketing genius who is still shell shocked from having his lasagna loving manager no longer with the organization.  The owner is so devastated that he is causing a “factor” that is very concerning to a small amount of fans.  The owner despite having some money, refuses to spend it thus being cheap regardless of how he compares to the other payrolls in the league.  Angel fans have to suffer another year of watching Yoda’s older brother play 1st base.  Angel fans have to deal with a manager that is smarter than they are and not just about baseball.  The fans are all wondering how the GM who 12 months ago brought some Asian dude to the team, has suddenly lost his ability to encourage players to sign with the team.  Word on the streets of Norco is that players don’t want to sign with the team because the big 14 is no longer there.  I guess the real fans will have to wait another year to watch a guy be a full time DH and a full time closer.  Such a Bouring off season.  @Dochalo

thought this was going to be more funny than true. 

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

lol at Yoda's brother.  

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

What could be keeping players from wanting to come here?    The farm is solid now.   The club is generally well supported in attendance, even if more stayed away after buying tickets in recent years.   Or is Eppler being overly cautious with the ones who already signed?

I don't think MLB players really care about the farm.