• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have more money to spend than we think?

I think 30m is the approx number that @Jeff Fletcher got from the people that are going to be doing the spending.  

could it be that the team is just setting that expectation as to not disappoint if we don't do more but that they might actually do more if they get the right deal(s) on the right player(s)?  

Arte seems very particular in this regard.  It doesn't seem that he'll ever tell Billy to go spend more and make the team better as he normally sticks to his budget.  Instead, he locks on to one player as opposed to allowing a general increase.  Could that player be Machado?  Maybe.  Doing the math on adding him and extending Trout gets pretty ugly though.  

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

If the Angels were to buy out the rest of Albert's contract, wouldn't that remove his AAV from payroll? Obviously it is still the same money spent, but it does give more flexibility in terms of staying below the luxury tax threshold, in the off chance that Arte wants Eppler to go all in.

no.  if they pay him the money, the allocation for the CBT is relative to the original contract.  Any deferred money counts to the contract term.  

33 minutes ago, nando714 said:

We’re not gonna spend 

we’ll be bargain hunting again 

the bullpen needs an overhaul and that’s not gonna happen from within so I hope eppler spends most of it there

I'm with Hubs. We need two starters and one BP arm. Starters over BP should be the priority in pitching. We got some new guys at the end of last year that seem like will work out in the pen. Not sure if they are closer quality, though.........

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Thats actually not necessarily true at all. 
What people want is for this team to win in the Trout era and hopefully keep Trout.   
No one is asking for stupidity, no one is asking for a ton of trades, all any of us that are pro making moves are asking is an effort to win on the short term to go along with the long term plan. 
It doesn't have to be DiPoto-esque at all. It doesn't have to be a choice between now and then.  It will have to be spending more than the stated budget limits though to achieve it.  
This is literally all anyone who has suggested taking action for 19 has said.  
It isnt accurate to characterize is as dipoto or any other exaggeration designed to belittle and dismiss it.  

You missed the point again. It's about budget not anything you are yammering about. And the budget is a five year plan not 2019.

As for Dipoto, he had a huge surplus budget and prospects to work with and pissed it away on a one year plan. Eppler does not have half the spending power Dipoto had and won't ever. So no Grienke, Machado or Harper acquisitions are happening. 

59 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You missed the point again. It's about budget not anything you are yammering about. And the budget is a five year plan not 2019.

As for Dipoto, he had a huge surplus budget and prospects to work with and pissed it away on a one year plan. Eppler does not have half the spending power Dipoto had and won't ever. So no Grienke, Machado or Harper acquisitions are happening. 

if i missed your point, you missed mine.  Im well aware of the long term argument, but i think its a case of not seeing the forest for the trees to only considering that an option. 
No matter, its not worth arguing about.  

Just now, floplag said:

if i missed your point, you missed mine.  Im well aware of the long term argument, but i think its a case of not seeing the forest for the trees to only considering that an option. 
No matter, its not worth arguing about.  

Are you assuming that Eppler hasn’t weighed all the options but guys on a message board have?  Please tell me you aren’t saying that.   

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Thats actually not necessarily true at all. 
What people want is for this team to win in the Trout era and hopefully keep Trout.   
No one is asking for stupidity, no one is asking for a ton of trades, all any of us that are pro making moves are asking is an effort to win on the short term to go along with the long term plan. 
It doesn't have to be DiPoto-esque at all. It doesn't have to be a choice between now and then.  It will have to be spending more than the stated budget limits though to achieve it.  
This is literally all anyone who has suggested taking action for 19 has said.  
It isnt accurate to characterize is as dipoto or any other exaggeration designed to belittle and dismiss it.  

Exactly. If I wanted to sign Trout long term then I’d do everything in my power to sign extreme talent around him to make a serious push for 2019 and 2020 which will convince Trout the team is in it to win it. No more filling potholes.

To me, a Dipoto signing is a 10 year contract to someone at the end of their prime (Pujols). Or a contract of someone older like Wilson and Hamilton were. Dishing out money for someone entering their prime is a better risk than someone exiting it. What I’m asking for is a solid starter as well as a mid rotation arm like a Kikuchi. Then a solid bat to fill RF/1B that will be on base for Trout to bat in. For the last few seasons we’ve all complained about pitching and no one ever being on base for Trout. If we don’t want to thin out our system then free agency and spending money is what you do. And when you’re in a market like the Angels are, it’s doable. You can only get so many rule 5 players and betting luck that a cheap arm turns out to be solid so many times....

What they need to do is bump up the budget to around $185 million. What the Angels will probably do is keep it between $165- $170 million. Eppler has already stated that he expects the young players to provide the boost in offense by being better next year so I guess that means they'll be looking strictly at pitchers to sign this off season. I personally don't think that the approach they should be taking when their best player might want to leave in two years.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Are you assuming that Eppler hasn’t weighed all the options but guys on a message board have?  Please tell me you aren’t saying that.   

I think what Flop is saying is that Arte has decided to avoid borrowing money against the team's equity like many other owners do and the result is a cashflow based payroll that has significant limitations.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

But aren't there ways around this? Let's say Albert says, "I'll retire if you write me a check for $90 million." 

It would probably drop their hit against the tax by 24 million but I'm starting to think Arte doesn't care about that. I think he's more concerned with the actual payroll. 

Paying out 90 million at one time is a pretty big fuckin hit to Arte's wallet, and he may consider that a part of the payroll for the year. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Of course not, what im saying is that we havent seen it yet.  Well see where we are in a month or so before we will know either way

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

Of course not, what im saying is that we havent seen it yet.  Well see where we are in a month or so before we will know either way

The point is both Eppler and Arte have looked at every way imaginable to build the team for what’s best for the franchise.  They didn’t simply choose one way without considering other options.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

The point is both Eppler and Arte have looked at every way imaginable to build the team for what’s best for the franchise.  They didn’t simply choose one way without considering other options.  

I never suggested otherwise.  
However, whats best for the franchise under what terms is yet to be answered. 

34 minutes ago, floplag said:

I never suggested otherwise.  
However, whats best for the franchise under what terms is yet to be answered. 

The terms determined by the ones running the organization, the ones that have the most vested interest in the team both long term and short term.  The ones that make a living running the team or owning the team.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The terms determined by the ones running the organization, the ones that have the most vested interest in the team both long term and short term.  The ones that make a living running the team or owning the team.  

exactly, but not my point.  what is the priority, winning, or profits?  We dont know that answer. 
Ive never questioned the long term ideals and plan, building a sustainable winner, what i question is why we have to sacrifice the now to do it.   It can be done without giving anything up thats part of that plan.  
Remember i never asked for Machado/Harper etc... just a little more in the budget to plug the gap for the next 2 years.  
How that makes me diptoto or any other bullshit i dont get but whatever. 

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

But aren't there ways around this? Let's say Albert says, "I'll retire if you write me a check for $90 million." 

we don't owe him $90m.  They can't circumvent the CBT anymore.  Trying to go around it would be a direct violation of the new CBA. 

If actual payroll matters, then deferring the money would help.  but he amount allocated relative to the cbt is the same.