• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia NOT stepping down

Glen

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

My hope this offseason is he signs Grandal to a 4/60-type deal, and other than that, avoids any other significant FA deal.  Briceno and Arcia look like they can be backup catchers for us, but we need an elite catcher, as we have no minor league pipeline to speak of.

Caught a bit of the dodgers game last night. At one point I watched Maldonado step into the box and say something to grandal.

Makes you daydream a bit.

Im still not sure hell hit the market though.

22 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Well, when your team juggernaut hits like this, its tough to make the games longer.

20180805_122528.jpg

That roster was kinda pathetic. To blame a lack of post season success on a manager when He has a roster like that is sad. The fact the angels made the playoffs that year with such a roster should be celebrated. Name a manager who would have had post season success with the roster the angels have had in the past 5-7 years? And tell me how that’s Scioscia’s fault again? 

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Eppler's FA moves haven't been too great, but to his credit, he has largely avoided gigantic, back-breaking contracts.  That said, if you look at ANY GM's signings, most of them don't pan out too well.  These days, GMs tend to make or break the team by their draft and development strategy.  To Eppler's credit, he has done a GREAT job in this domain, and it gives me hope that we'll continue to see an overall organization turn-around under his purview.

My hope this offseason is he signs Grandal to a 4/60-type deal, and other than that, avoids any other significant FA deal.  Briceno and Arcia look like they can be backup catchers for us, but we need an elite catcher, as we have no minor league pipeline to speak of.

We need to truly avoid spending money on a free agent reliever.  I know everyone is desperate for a closer, but most free agent reliever signings turn out to be bad ones.  

We need to continue to limit doling out $$ for free agents for the most part.  I make an exception for catcher, because we have no viable alternatives at all.

Since Yasmani is at the top of the free agent catcher heap, he is much more likely to get a deal similar to Brian McCann, a player he compares well with in terms of total production.

Probably more like 5/$85 give or take since he is a year older than McCann when he signed his free agent contract.

15 minutes ago, ettin said:

Since Yasmani is at the top of the free agent catcher heap, he is much more likely to get a deal similar to Brian McCann, a player he compares well with in terms of total production.

Probably more like 5/$85 give or take since he is a year older than McCann when he signed his free agent contract.

Could be possible, although given the crackdown FOs have had on FA spending, I would be a little surprised if he got a 5th year, especially at a grueling position like catcher.

Still, it is the one area I would splurge on.  I'd avoid signing FA SPs, RPs, etc to any significant deals, but I do believe we need a top-flight catcher.  Grandal's LH power and patience fit out lineup well, too.

15 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Could be possible, although given the crackdown FOs have had on FA spending, I would be a little surprised if he got a 5th year, especially at a grueling position like catcher.

Still, it is the one area I would splurge on.  I'd avoid signing FA SPs, RPs, etc to any significant deals, but I do believe we need a top-flight catcher.  Grandal's LH power and patience fit out lineup well, too.

See i don't think it was a crackdown. I think it was simply a lack of high quality position players and teams saving their money for the market this year.

It will be interesting to see how the market goes this off-season though. There may be so many good options that there are good bargain deals deeper in the weeds. However I still think the top position players/pitchers will get paid like we have seen in 2015, etc., plus inflation added in.

I could be wrong (and have been in the past) but we'll see. You may be right about the 5th year, but I still think Grandal gets paid about $18M per season give or take. Maybe 4/$75 or something similar.

Oh and I do think we will target Grandal or Lucroy. We may even re-sign Maldonado as a backup, he may come that cheap.

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

See i don't think it was a crackdown. I think it was simply a lack of high quality position players and teams saving their money for the market this year.

It will be interesting to see how the market goes this off-season though. There may be so many good options that there are good bargain deals deeper in the weeds. However I still think the top position players/pitchers will get paid like we have seen in 2015, etc., plus inflation added in.

I could be wrong (and have been in the past) but we'll see. You may be right about the 5th year, but I still think Grandal gets paid about $18M per season give or take. Maybe 4/$75 or something similar.

Oh and I do think we will target Grandal or Lucroy. We may even re-sign Maldonado as a backup, he may come that cheap.

My apologies, perhaps a poor choice of words on my point, but I think we are largely in agreement.

If 18mil AAV is what it takes, then I support that, too.  I am largely against signing SPs like Corbin, Keuchal, etc.  SP signings are usually a very poor investment, same with RP signings.  I'd prefer we continue to develop and promote them from within and roll with that. 

Ideally, we sign Grandal and have one of Briceno/Arcia serve as the backup catcher.  

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

My apologies, perhaps a poor choice of words on my point, but I think we are largely in agreement.

If 18mil AAV is what it takes, then I support that, too.  I am largely against signing SPs like Corbin, Keuchal, etc.  SP signings are usually a very poor investment, same with RP signings.  I'd prefer we continue to develop and promote them from within and roll with that. 

Ideally, we sign Grandal and have one of Briceno/Arcia serve as the backup catcher.  

I worry that as much as our farm has improved, it's to date been more on the position player side. Not sure we're going to be able to avoid signing FA arms for the next few years. 

1 minute ago, 2020worldseries said:

You guys might be right given all the money teams have saved to spend this offseason, but to sign a 30 yo catcher who will probably have a QO attached to him(?) to that kind of a deal is crazy!

It is not ideal, but we have no internal options, and I would prefer to "just" give out a contract like that than trading the necessary prospect capital to the Marlins to get Realtumo.  

It is okay, IMO, to spend $$ on FAs, but it has to be a very calculated risk for something that we truly need and have no internal options for.  Catcher, IMO, fits that description.  

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

It is not ideal, but we have no internal options, and I would prefer to "just" give out a contract like that than trading the necessary prospect capital to the Marlins to get Realtumo.  

It is okay, IMO, to spend $$ on FAs, but it has to be a very calculated risk for something that we truly need and have no internal options for.  Catcher, IMO, fits that description.  

I like Grandal but I don't think we should sign him

can you imagine our team in 2021?

Grandal - 35 yo catcher

Upton - 35 yo 

Pujols 

Ohtani

In 2021 we would have 4 full time Designated hitters