• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia NOT stepping down

Glen

Just now, BackUpTheTruck said:

Perhaps the real plan is to fire Scioscia?

I am sure the report from Rosenthal is accurate and that Scoscia will step down.  The guess is that Scoscia doesn't want the last two months to be about him and his final days as a manager.  I think he wants the focus to be on the field and the performance of his team.

Once the season is over, he will step down, the FO will throw him a big party, and all of his managerial achievements will be celebrated, especially 2002.  

With regards to communication, I do think what we saw today is an example of what a FO tends to want to avoid in terms of communication.  Per Fletcher's tweet:

"Mike Scioscia said “nothing’s changed since October” regarding his job status. Called reports of him stepping down “poppycock.” (Yes, he said that.) Also said he still “loves” managing. Cut off other questions."

So I think a "new age" manager (like Roberts, Boone, Cora, etc) would be more inclined to say "no decisions have been made yet.. these are questions that will be addressed in the offseason .. right now, my commitment and focus is on winning games" etc.  

Communication is a broad term, but it includes managing player' personalities, relaying the vision and views of the FO, and effectively navigating the media.  In our world now, more than ever, communicating effectively with the media is huge.  I cannot really comment on Scoscia's clubhouse communication, as I cannot see that interaction at all, but he hasn't been great with the media over the years.  He does tend to bristle fairly easily in a way that I cannot imagine seeing from some of these "new age" managers.

The next two years are vital for Eppler’s tenure. No way he goes into that time with Scioscia as his manager. Eppler needs to take total control of the team and hire a guy who shares his vision. I just hope his vision doesn’t involve signing old guys who have already peaked. 

16 minutes ago, mp170.6 said:

I think that because of his on field managing style.  He can't let the players win or lose a game on their own.  There has to be some sort of Scioscia "stamp" on every game with some stupid hit and run, stolen base, defensive switch, bullpen disaster, etc, etc. 

Oh so you haven’t been watching for a couple of years.  

4 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

The next two years are vital for Eppler’s tenure. No way he goes into that time with Scioscia as his manager. Eppler needs to take total control of the team and hire a guy who shares his vision. I just hope his vision doesn’t involve signing old guys who have already peaked. 

Eppler's FA moves haven't been too great, but to his credit, he has largely avoided gigantic, back-breaking contracts.  That said, if you look at ANY GM's signings, most of them don't pan out too well.  These days, GMs tend to make or break the team by their draft and development strategy.  To Eppler's credit, he has done a GREAT job in this domain, and it gives me hope that we'll continue to see an overall organization turn-around under his purview.

My hope this offseason is he signs Grandal to a 4/60-type deal, and other than that, avoids any other significant FA deal.  Briceno and Arcia look like they can be backup catchers for us, but we need an elite catcher, as we have no minor league pipeline to speak of.

We need to truly avoid spending money on a free agent reliever.  I know everyone is desperate for a closer, but most free agent reliever signings turn out to be bad ones.  

We need to continue to limit doling out $$ for free agents for the most part.  I make an exception for catcher, because we have no viable alternatives at all.

I am not even reading this crap.  Scioscia is stepping down. The handwriting is on the wall long before Rosenthal tweet.  Scioscia response today is just spin nothing more than that.  You would think after 19 years you guys would know not to take Scioscia public statements as fact.

4 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am not even reading this crap.  Scioscia is stepping down. The handwriting is on the wall long before Rosenthal tweet.  Scioscia response today is just spin nothing more than that.  You would think after 19 years you guys would know not to take Sciosvia public statements as fact.

He's Russian now?

Guess he's brushing up on his propaganda!

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Same. I really hope it's not a leak to influence Scioscia to walk away. 

It is a stormy, rain-filled evening. The solid oak-wood door swings open, spilling a sliver of light into the room. The shadow of a tall, lithe man enters the office and suddenly the room is filled with a soft red light as the man smacks his hands together to activate The Clapper he lovingly cherishes from his days at the old office.

As the light spills across the room the man, Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto, slides into his chair behind his custom-built mahogany desk and presses a carefully hidden button underneath his tabletop. A quiet click is heard as a special compartment opens up and slides open revealing an electronic box that Dipoto carefully extracts and places on top of his desk.

Jerry quickly flicks a switch on the device and grabs the attached microphone; the voice modulator is now active. Pulling out a special key from his pocket with a Jedi light saber key FOB attached, Dipoto unlocks yet another secure desk drawer and pulls out one of the many burner phones he is rumored to keep around him at all times.

He starts the call with no hesitation. Everyone knows Ken Rosenthal is an automaton that does not sleep and Jerry chuckles to himself, recognizing a kindred spirit in the award-winning, bow-tied Athletic sports reporter. Dipoto is now committed.

As the fresh and energetic Rosenthal answers the phone, Dipoto begins his final revenge reaching out all the way from Hell..... errr, Seattle, to wreak havoc on his former "colleague" and team.

As Jerry carefully provides Ken with the concocted story, he quietly thinks in his head, "If I can't have you.... then no man shall!"