• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

TV ALERT - MLB CHANNEL - VLAD HOF INDUCTION NOW

Frankie Rodriguez - K-ROD -- gotta check were he stands on the all time saves list.

As the 'magic' numbers game in terms of total career numbers stats decline (as today's wealthy players play on average far fewer seasons than the HOF numbers they are chasing) -- K-Rod's numbers may look better --- especially his 62 save season (is that still the record or did that get broken already?)

I was at the game where K-Rod got his 62nd save that season. It was sort of a surreal Anaheim / Angels Stadium moment.

Late in the season, the Angels were pretty much out of the division race -- K-Rod was in his contract year about to become a F/A and was going to test the market and everyone knew it -- so the chance of him remaining a Halo was slim to none. So he breaks the single season saves record -- Halos fans applaud politely (like they do) but very anti-climatic type feeling.

Then K-Rod tests the market -- ends up signing that off-season with the NY Mets ?  (do I have that right) and switches leagues - my recollection is that he sort of lingered on the market checking offers that were no where near what he was seeking and then finally signed a one year with the NY Mets for not that much more than what the Angels were offering -- I remember thinking the difference was not that much -- he  switches leagues - got off to a lousy start before unforgiving NY Mets fans (from very forgiving/ almost nonchalant Anaheim crowds to 'in your face at all times/ every turn" losing team NY Mets -- OUCH !!)  He reallty was never the same pitcher since.......had moments of his old brillance but not sustained. Another guy who probably should have stayed in Anaheim -- a place where he was comfortable playing and was effective. He's out of baseball now I take it. Still fairly young. In 2002 (wow - is that really 16 years ago?) I sat near K-Rod's family in the family section in one of the ALDS games vs. Yankees when he first came up as a September call up (and then in the playoffs) when he mowed down the opposition.

He was just a kid being lights out against the odds on favorite Yankees -- NY crowd complained that Halos scammed the DL rules to bring K-Rod onto the playoff roster and have a fireballer sneak attack on playoff teams who had never faced him before......and  I think they were right. Halos pulled a fast one and it worked for a change.

46 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Did you know Rmunkee used to do Braves broadcasts under the name of Don Sutton? Little known fact. 

Little did they know how common that sort of thing would become for Vlad. Really the best bad ball hitter ever. It was so fun getting to see him play every day when he was with the Angels. When he was locked in and seeing the ball well I would’ve taken him over anyone else in the game, mainly because he just wouldn’t let anyone pitch around him when he was hot.

i remember watching a game with my cousin once, and he hit a ball way up and in off the plate into right-center for a double in the first inning. My cousin looked at me after that hit and said very matter of factly, “Nobody’s getting him out tonight.” I think he ended up 4-4 with a HR that night. That’s the way I’ll always remember Vlad. Once you could tell he was locked in, you knew nobody was gonna stop him that day, or that week, or whatever stretch it might have been.

5 hours ago, disarcina said:

SCOTT T -- "I think I'll be there the next time a player in inducted as an Angel"

Better buy your trip insurance now, then -- it'll be a while.

Depends if Trout goes in as a Halo or a Yankee/ Phillies.........

seriously - are there any other Halos HOF candidates lurking out there?

I don't think Garret Anderson gets there -- he may get some votes but that's about it -- in fact, is GA about off the HOF ballot list now?

I can't see anyone else.  Bob Boone (Veterans' Committee)  for games played at catcher ?  Not likely and he goes in as a Philly or some other team.

What does everyone think about these Veteran's Committee selections (Trammell and Morris today)?

Me? I am not a big fan. Either you get voted in or not. The Vets committee selection should be reserved for managers, GM, executive, "Ambassadors of the Game type personnel (induct BUCK O' NEILL posthumously - NOW -- should have been done during Buck's lifetime -- a huge misjudgment by HOF committee and MLB).

Scioscia?

Fifth most wins with one team, 1-4 (Mack, McGraw, Cox, and Alston) and #6 (LaMoutha) are all in the HOF

Scioscia -- good call there -- not as a player so we sort of over-looked that possibility.

ok - another poll -- of the folks calling for the Halos to replace Scioscia -- how many of you will be attending his HOF induction ceremony? (I pretty sure we know that answer -- ALL of them !! If it's NEXT year post-retirement.............."  LOL !!

But, yeah, Scioscia deserves consideration from a managerial perspective and then if you add his playing days -- the combo makes it - not necessarily is stats, but Sosh is considered by many one of the best for blocking the plate by catchers -- a skill that has now been made illegal by the Posey Rule.

Yeah , baseball is falling in popularity so let's take away one of the most exciting plays -- the OF throw to the plate with the linebacker catcher there to meet the runner with the ball.

that, plus the double-play break up slide now outlawed by the Chase Utley Rule.

no wonder MLB is losing fans to the NHL.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

anyone see AO on camera today?

p.s. cracker barrel blows (unless you're going there for breakfast)

The fried chicken was really good.

One article claimed 53,000 were there at the ceremony.   Not sure it could be near that, as the open area didn’t extend that far back.

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The fried chicken was really good.

did you buy any back country kitchen signs, scented candles, or railroad memorabilia from the gift shop?

and you better have won that little peg game where you leave just one golf tee left on the peg board. if not, i'm not sure we can be friends any longer.

Unknown.jpeg

Talk about how much times have changed, and maybe why some of us on here are more patient than others.

Aside from 02, and before trout, Vlad was the best thing this franchise ever had. (Ryan is obviously up there, but the teams were crap). Vlad was THE guy on the best run this team has ever had. And at the end there were some on here who hated him...because he was merely average, and we were so used to having dominant teams.

Still my favorite all time Angel.

Ten Ocho Recon Scout --  well, I don't think any regular posters on AngelsWin.com "hated' Vladdy,

I mean, Vladdy was a tough guy for opponents to hate -- that smile was infectious -- everyone in the game loved Vladdy -- he made MLB better.

There are not that many players (Ken Griffey Jr.) that you can say that about.

This era's guy in that regard is probably Francisco Lindor........tough guy to root against -- even when your team is playing Cleveland !!