• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2019 Where to spend the money?

Worth noting that Fletcher has been killing it, and may be a long term option at 3rd. Also, according to MLB.com, Thaiss at first and Jones at second are both due in 2019. I'd love to see them come up this year and try their hand. Granted, Jones has really struggled so far this year in the minors..None of these guys are going to be real sexy next year, though. May be worth looking around and trying to buy another rock solid infielder (to go with Simmons).

Arenado's road OPS has stabilized around .850 over the past 3 seasons (around .350 OBP and .500 SLG%).   That is still rock solid.

Andddd, he kills the ball overall in RISP spots (around 1.200 OPS since 2015).

This ain't Carlos Gonzalez, who we are talking about.   There's the ultimate Coors Canaveral inflated numbers guy.

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

He's been killing it for the last 4 games or so, but he was pretty bad before that. I'd like to see him settle in to some long-term success.

I mean...in 32 games he has had an OPS+ of 108 and a positive dWAR. His BABIP is on the high side, but not THAT high. I guess killing it is a strong way of putting it, and I would for sure want a larger sample size, but he has certainly looked serviceable. Granted, he plays third, and that's a pretty low bar for 3B.

35 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I like D. Fletch as an everyday 2B in 2019... not an everyday 3B

This is a good point, Fletcher seems potentially acceptable at 2b.  We’ll see.  The jury is definitely still out.  

I think that .270/.325/.440 aren’t beyond the realm of possible for him tho.  Maybe a little optimistic but let’s dream big. 

it's basically three options

1.  Move all in and have the best team possible for the next two years

2.  Let the kids play and hope they develop so you can convince Trout to stay long term

3.  Somewhere in between.  

I'm gonna guess it will be #3.  

Agree 100% with the sentiment that we need to get a preview of Ward, JMF, Fletcher, Rengifo, Hermosillo and maybe even Thaiss and Walsh (will be R5 eligible this year like Ward).  JMF , Herm and Fletch are already on the 40.  Trade Kinsler, release LVB, Young, and Marte.  That's 4 roster spots open until sept call ups.  You can probably leave Herm down to get his work in for now and use Walsh as the 4th OFer.  When rosters expand, get a look at Suarez, Canning, and maybe even throw Luis Pena in the pen (he's also R5 after this year).  

Richards and Lamb are on the 10 day so you can move them to the 60.  Nolan Fontana and few others can be dropped in order to add some people to the 40 man as well.  

I would also trade Maldo.  Some teams are actually hurting at C like the skanks, indians, braves, and nats who could all use some defensive help.  

I would also trade Parker, Alvarez, and Cam if you can get a nice deal.  I wouldn't trade them just for the sake of trading them though.  

then you start forming your offseason plan

The 2019 FA class is turning out to be fairly disappointing imo.  

My first priority would be Grandal.  He's the best FA catcher available since Martin and Mcann who both signed for 80+m over 5.  Grandal won't get that.  Maybe 4/60.  I like him because he can hit, frame well and call a good game.  he doesn't hold the running game down like Martin, but who does.  Briceno stays your backup.   They both can play some 1b so you've got some flexibility there.  He's be the second best  hitter on the team this year.  

Then the rest comes from what you saw in the last two months.  

What I hope happens is that Rengifo impresses and wins the 2b job.  Then you keep Fletcher at super util and try to trade Cozart for some salary relief.  Even if you don't get anything.  

then you pull off a block buster and move Marsh, Suarez, Soriano, and Jones (anyone but Adell and Canning) for Eugenio Suarez.  Wanted him last year dammit and now he's really broken out.  6 more years of control at a little more than 10m aav.  They've got Senzel knocking on the door.  

I'd then sign Corbin or maybe another so so starter on the cheap or someone older for a short term like Charlie Morton.  

then I patch the holy hell out of the pen and hope to get the 2017 version as opposed to the 2018 version 

Lineup

Rengifo
Trout
Grandal
Suarez
Upton
Pujols
Ohtani
Simmons
Calhoun 

bench is Briceno, JMF, Fletcher

rotation - Ohtani (hopefully), Corbin/Morton, Skaggs, Barria, Heaney, Canning, (Trop, Shoe, Pena)

pen - Anderson, Robles, Mcguire, Cole plus a bunch of random dudes acquired for Cam, Parker and Alvarez at the deadline.  Or maybe a couple of minor FA signs. 

I like Doc’s idea of acquiring Suarez. I’d do that for any prospect package not including Adell and Canning. If they could turn around and acquire Realmuto then sign AJ Pollock and plug him into right, trade Calhoun for bullpen or bench help. Sign corbin/Keuchel. It would be expensive and totally unrealistic but it would probably get us close to the playoffs. 

I was trying to figure out how we can improve the offense. Cozart isn’t the solution but he’s being paid like he is and they will run puff pieces about how his injury held him back all season. I’d love to see a combo of Fletch and Ren with Cozart round out the infield unless they plan on going crazy with a Machado signing. I DO NOT WANT Eppler to sign mid level guys for the offense. He’s been terrible at that. Valbuena, Young, Cozart. Bleh. We don’t need a ton of offense from the catcher spot, but we sure need to improve everywhere else. The hitting (especially against lefties) has been brutal to watch. 

The pitching is where I would spend. 1 or 2 bullpen signings and hope Eppler can fill the rest our. And a starter who can eat some innings. Skaggs, Heaney, and Trop are all solid, but they don’t make it far in games. This team needs a lot of fixing