• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This team is a pathetic sh** show.

I know its not going to happen, but I think the person who needs to be fired to, as @Stradling put it, "wake up some of these assholes and get them to understand this is a result based profession" is Mike Scioscia.  It is very clear that new leadership of this team is needed and he has to go.  The Angels need to fire him and then let guys like Valbuena and Marte go as well. They should try to trade Kinsler for whatever they can get and if they can't get anything for him, let him go to.  Bring up some of the young guys and see what they can do.  Fletcher has been successful and a ton of fun to watch.  At least we could have that with some of the other young guys too.  Also, whoever is the new manager for the rest of the year might just have the balls to not play Pujols as much and/or bat him further down the line-up.

I think the analysis of the team is pretty simple.  Look at matchups.

There are maybe three guys in the lineup that represent a possible advantage over the opponent and 6 that are not.

How is that going to work out?

How about the starters? There are maybe two that you could view as sometimes having an advantage over the opponent, and three (or four) that are not.

The bullpen.  Nobody in that bullpen gives the Angels an advantage over their opponent's bullpen.  Nobody.

How is that going to work out.

The roster sucks.

And i get that people want to bring up the youngsters.  I get it.  But are the Angels really going to have a better roster with THAT particular group of promoted players?  Are they really better than what the Angels have now?

Guys like Canning and Adell seem like legit possible help in terms of wins and losses.  Way, way too many of the other guys that are very close to the majors now seem like zero impact players in terms of wins and losses.

This team desperately needs, at the very least, one All Star offensive player added to the lineup.  An impact player. Then it might be fine to fill in with a Ward or Thaiss.

This team needs at least one high impact starter, someone the other team is not happy to see starting against them.

The team needs an entire bullpen.

I can't believe I was so optimistic in April looking at the roster when it is so obvious now how much this roster sucks.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I think the analysis of the team is pretty simple.  Look at matchups.

There are maybe three guys in the lineup that represent a possible advantage over the opponent and 6 that are not.

How about the starters? There are maybe two that you could view as sometimes having an advantage over the opponent, and three (or four) that are not.

The bullpen.  Nobody in that bullpen gives the Angels an advantage over their opponent's bullpen.  Nobody.

How is that going to work out.

The roster sucks.

And i get that people want to bring up the youngsters.  I get it.  But are the Angels really going to have a better roster with THAT particular group of promoted players?  Are they really better than what the Angels have now?

Guys like Canning and Adell seem like legit possible help in terms of wins and losses.  Way, way too many of the other guys that are very close to the majors now seem like zero impact players in terms of wins and losses.

This team desperately needs, at the very least, one All Star offensive player added to the lineup.  An impact player. Then it might be fine to fill in with a Ward or Thaiss.

This team needs at least one high impact starter, someone the other team is not happy to see starting against them.

The team needs an entire bullpen.

I can't believe I was so optimistic in April looking at the roster when it is so obvious now how much this roster sucks.

It was easy to be optimistic, the team was hitting and Ohtani was pitching and Garrett hadn’t been hurt yet.   Think of the first couple weeks, Cozart was great, Ohtani pitched that gem in Oakland, then hit the homer in Anaheim, we had a couple of walk offs.  The depths of how bad Kole was going to be in the first half wasn’t apparent yet.  We had a hard thrower with a little moxie, although inexperienced at closer.   Things were looking good.   I haven’t given up on Cozart.  

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

And also move Upton down until he starts hitting with men on base.

Either that or flip flop with Simba, to take advantage of his OBP and Simba’s much better RISP BA.

And yes, if Upton ever rediscovers RISP hitting, then move him back to MOTO.

As stupid as it may sound, because it will just lead to more trout walk, but ive been thinking the same, bat upton in front of trout. See what he does with trout protecting him, instead of vice versa. Then put ohtani in front of trout. With ohtani hitting it to right and trout on, that might work better than upton.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It was easy to be optimistic, the team was hitting and Ohtani was pitching and Garrett hadn’t been hurt yet.   Think of the first couple weeks, Cozart was great, Ohtani pitched that gem in Oakland, then hit the homer in Anaheim, we had a couple of walk offs.  The depths of how bad Kole was going to be in the first half wasn’t apparent yet.  We had a hard thrower with a little moxie, although inexperienced at closer.   Things were looking good.   I haven’t given up on Cozart.  

That's fine but what about next year?  Are you really going to be capable of being optimistic about next year if the changes are things like having Ward over Valbuena?   Or the Angels get Shoemaker back to replace Richards in the rotation?

These kinds of changes are not going to make a difference.  Help in actual wins and losses FOR NEXT SEASON is not coming out of the minors or off the DL.  I think that's delusional.

I know the Angels got burned by Pujols and Hamilton.  But one was old and one was a drug addict.

The Angels need to go get a Machado, make a deal for a front line starter, and somehow build a bullpen.

Otherwise we are having this same conversation next July.

18 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As stupid as it may sound, because it will just lead to more trout walk, but ive been thinking the same, bat upton in front of trout. See what he does with trout protecting him, instead of vice versa. Then put ohtani in front of trout. With ohtani hitting it to right and trout on, that might work better than upton.

I said this awhile back, take advantage of Upton’s .350 OBP and bat him 2nd, bat Trout 3rd and Simmons or Ohtani 4th depending on a right handed starter or left handed starter.  

The team is mailing it in. You can see it. Time for a closed door meeting, an open door meeting, a no door meeting....This snake is rotting from the head down. Nothing will change until Scioscia is gone. Fingers crossed that's 60 days from now. The team needs a new voice desperately. Its hard to go out and want a different result night after night from players who are constantly put in the same situations. There's no reason that Valbuenas bags shouldn't have been packed for him and left on the curb. There's no reason for Marte to still be on a major league roster. There's no reason you don't just put Ohtani in every single game since he's not pitching once a week. Its always one reason or another but at the end of the day the problem is scioscia. He's a lame duck manager who has been coaching like that for 4 years.

I will say I was watching the dugout before the game with Calhoun and Kinsler clowning and laughing, and it bugged me.  I know a 10 second look at a couple of guys interacting is probably not a reliable indication of the team culture but the team just sucks so bad right now it bothered me to see them seemingly not caring and not looking like they were preparing to go take it to somebody.

Realistically this shit doesn't matter except we are the customers and we do draw conclusions from stuff we see.

Is it fair to the players?  Probably not.

But when you suck maybe look like you care?  A little?

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Tip the cap.  Turn the page.  yawn.  you can only give the other team so much credit and blame injuries.  

At some point someone has to acknowledge the lack of performance.  

It's kinda ground hog day.  Starters leave early.  Pen gives up runs.  Offense can't hit with RISP.  

We might not be a playoff team, but give us something.  anything.  

I agree.  I said this was an awful team last month.  No one agreed.  Welcome to the dark side.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

I agree.  I said this was an awful team last month.  No one agreed.  Welcome to the dark side.

So many Angels season like this. 

We're in the sleepwalking stage right now. A ten-game losing streak feels imminent. The 14-5 drubbing of the Astros was an aberration.

I'll be happy to eat crow if we kick some ass tonight and tomorrow against one of the worst teams in baseball. 

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What, exactly, is the look of caring?

I know.  My expectation is stupid and I said as much with the post.  The reality is fans do not like seeing any player LOOK like they care less than the fans.

The answer is not managing how players display emotion.

The answer is winning.

Until that happens, they will be scrutinized fairly or unfairly.

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

We need to spice things up during the games.

Hire those Milwaukee Brewer wiener mascots. Have Mike Scioscia race said wiener mascots. If Scioscia wins, he gets three free hot dogs. If the wieners win, Scioscia gets fired.

Can they do the same with Mang?

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I know.  My expectation is stupid and I said as much with the post.  The reality is fans do not like seeing any player LOOK like they care less than the fans.

The answer is not managing how players display emotion.

The answer is winning.

Until that happens, they will be scrutinized fairly or unfairly.

I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I see guys trying to take extra bases, staying in the game after getting hit on the hand, Scioscia running out on the field arguing ball calls, Upton yelling at umpires for called strike 3, Trout ripping Upton for collisions over a called fly ball, celebrating home runs, just about everything every other team does. 

You are mistaking talent with the desire to win. Every one in that dugout wants to win. But that bench is just tapped out on talent, the starting pitching staff taped out, the bullpen tapped out.

Kicking Gatorade containers isn't a replacement for talent. 

The ironic part is you claim to want to see that passion then keep arguing Ward won't change anything, a rookie wanting to lock down a starting role over the worst position player on the roster. It's as if you want to keep everything the same so you can complain about the team. 

And for you fools that think firing Scioscia and promoting an interim manager right now changes anything you are just plain rooted in your agenda and need to look at what the next guy inherits. Same roster, same pitching staff that has to play bullpen games, same bullpen that is both burned out from over usage and burned up from lack of talent replacements. A new face scowling at the umpire's isn't changing that. A new roster may but that won't be until 2019 so you're wasting your time, Scioscia is going to manage his last game on the last day of the season.