• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Unusual Baseball Trivia

I think I'll retire the Photo Trivia thread and start a new one. There's some really neat and unusual trivia on Tim Kurkjian's Twitter page today.

Roger Clemens won 7 Cy Youngs & never threw a no-hitter. Nolan Ryan threw 7 no-hitters & never won a Cy Young. Clemens' only NL Cy Young? With HOU. Ryan's only NL no-no? With HOU. 18 years separated Clemens' 1st & 7th Cy Young. 18 yrs separated Ryan's 1st & 7th no hitters.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1010139046805475328

On May 6, 1925 Pee Wee Wanninger started in place of Everett Scott at shortstop in the Yankees' lineup, ending Scott's record streak of 1,307 consecutive games. 

A month later, on June 1st, Lou Gehrig pinch-hit for Wanninger in the 8th inning, beginning Lou's new record streak of 2,130 consecutive games played.

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

On May 6, 1925 Pee Wee Wanninger started in place of Everett Scott at shortstop in the Yankees' lineup, ending Scott's record streak of 1,307 consecutive games. 

A month later, on June 1st, Lou Gehrig pinch-hit for Wanninger in the 8th inning, beginning Lou's new record streak of 2,130 consecutive games played.

Who replaced Gehrig at 1B to end the streak?

In 1973 it was a different game and hitters were trying NOT to strike out. That year when Nolan Ryan struck out 383 batters, only 10 American Leaguers struck out 100 times that season, none of them more than Bobby Darwin's 137. Last year in the AL, 73 hitters struck out 100 times, 24 of them more than Darwin's total.

9 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

In 1973 it was a different game and hitters were trying NOT to strike out. That year when Nolan Ryan struck out 383 batters, only 10 American Leaguers struck out 100 times that season, none of them more than Bobby Darwin's 137. Last year in the AL, 73 hitters struck out 100 times, 24 of them more than Darwin's total.

And Albert has never struck out 100 times in a season. Think about how deep he used to go into counts and how many pitches he used to take.  Now think how much he’s slowed down.  It’s pretty impressive.  

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

And Albert has never struck out 100 times in a season. Think about how deep he used to go into counts and how many pitches he used to take.  Now think how much he’s slowed down.  It’s pretty impressive.  

I just looked and even though we are not quite at the half way point, 4 guys have 100+ K’s already led by Gallo’s 109. Upton is 6th with 90.

Getting back to Gehrig's streak and the day it ended in Detroit, May 2, 1939. Wally Pipp was in the stands. Long retired from baseball, he was in town on business and decided to take in the game. There are reports he had breakfast that morning with Lou at the hotel where the team was staying.

While at the game today, I was thinking about Nolan Ryan. I always think of him when at the Big A because I saw him pitch on numerous occasions to include being lucky enough to see a no-hitter in 75.

Anyway, we all know he had 7 no-hitters, but did you know he pitched 12 one-hitters (tied for most ever with Bob Feller), and 18 two-hitters?