• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Crazy, maybe even DUMB trade idea..

Chuck

If Machado wants to stay at SS, we can't make that work under any scenario. Pass

The guy that we need to throw big money at in a couple years is Nolan Arenado. Obviously Trout and Simmons will be the priority but if you can get him too that's one hell of a team. He has a Beltre-type vibe to him (a guy that's going to be good for a long time).

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I actually think you'd be better off pitching that package to Kansas City for Moustakas, Herrera, and Duffy, and the Angels would get more bang for their buck, as they'd very likely be able to re-sign Moustakas in the offseason (less likely with Machado) and giving up that prospect haul for Duffy at least gives you another long-term pitching solution. Herrera would be much more appealing than Britton too.

I would trade just for Moustakas, and Herrera and forget about Duffy. We could send fewer prospects in the deal. If we're going to do this we should it soon because Herrera is on everyone's radar including Boston, and Houston.

Appreciate the effort Chuckster, but that's an awful trade.  

Britton is just getting off the DL.  gave up 39h and 18bb with 29 k in 37.1ip last year.  Risky. Risky.  

Adam Jones is no longer a starter at the major league level.  He's got 7 bb in 266 PA.  -1.3 dWAR in CF already.  Maybe moving him to RF helps his d.  maybe not.  But it won't help his fairly putrid offense.  He's also making 17m this year.  

So it's basically Machado for half a year in exchange for Suarez, Marsh, and Thaiss plus Cozart as a salary offset?   Also, we are never going to afford both Trout and Machado.  

And most are saying we're not giving up enough?  

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Britton is just getting off the DL.  gave up 39h and 18bb with 29 k in 37.1ip last year.  Risky. Risky.  

Adam Jones is no longer a starter at the major league level.  He's got 7 bb in 266 PA.  -1.3 dWAR in CF already.  Maybe moving him to RF helps his d.  maybe not.  But it won't help his fairly putrid offense.  He's also making 17m this year.  

So it's basically Machado for half a year in exchange for Suarez, Marsh, and Thaiss plus Cozart as a salary offset?   Also, we are never going to afford both Trout and Machado.  

No. But the cost isn't worth the return. 

Machado is having a ridiculous season and will easily cost two of our best prospects. Possibly more. The other two wouldn't cost that but we'd still be destroying our farm system.

35 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I would trade just for Moustakas, and Herrera and forget about Duffy. We could send fewer prospects in the deal. If we're going to do this we should it soon because Herrera is on everyone's radar including Boston, and Houston.

I don't see Eppler dealing any combo of premium prospects in Marsh, Suarez, or Thaiss for rentals, no matter how good they are.

That deviates waaaay too far from every other deal he's ever made. Maybe one of our Top 10 for an elite rental, but I can't see him budging much more than that, even if Moose is very likely to re-sign. Adding a 3rd player with some control into the KC deal allows Eppler to part with more quality in the prospect return for the Royals, without mortgaging the future he's worked hard to build. 

I don't doubt that he'd deal Top 10 prospects, but just can't see it happening for rentals. I mean, if you're going to shop Suarez, one of Thaiss/Ward, and Marsh, or all in a package, there will be come clubs interested in those players and capable of offering something beyond a rental.

43 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

If Machado wants to stay at SS, we can't make that work under any scenario. Pass

The guy that we need to throw big money at in a couple years is Nolan Arenado. Obviously Trout and Simmons will be the priority but if you can get him too that's one hell of a team. He has a Beltre-type vibe to him (a guy that's going to be good for a long time).

Mentioned here a few weeks back. Rumor is he wants to come here. I have to wonder if hes who they have their eye on.

Id love to get machado. But hes not the answer to this year. I wouldnt give up prospects for him (even as good as he is). If he wants to come here get him in the winter. But hes not going to replace ohtani in the rotation, or fix the bullpen. And if we replace ohtani in the rotation, and fix the bullpen, wed still need to replace ohtanis bat. We cant do all 3.

Stay the course. Focus on the team emerging next year and the year after...i think its going to be better than anyone is seeing right now.

Unless we are doing a Simmons type trade I would pretty much let the season ride with an infusion of youth from guys playing well in the minors. To give up stud prospects for a rental when the odds of the Angels even making the wildcard game is probably 40% at best. The odds of winning that game in New York or Boston is probably 40% at best. 40% of 40% is 16%. It's not worth it to me.

Any trades the Angels do will probably be similar to what Eppler has done in the past..... the one thing I do not see him doing is giving up stud prospects for a short term rental.

The last thing we should want is a Grienke trade.... we gave up Jean Segura for 10 starts of Grienke and did not even make the playoffs anyways.

I've offered a Tampa and a Kansas City alternative in this thread so far, so why not add a Toronto idea?

Thaiss, Suarez, and one of Marsh or Herm (whichever you feel is more fair) for Donaldson, one of Stroman/Sanchez, and a reliever - Clippers, Axford, Tepera, heck, any promising or vet reliever on their roster really.

Or maybe expand further or take a vet SP like Happ, Garcia, Estrada instead of a young SP, take an expensive middling Jim Johnson vet RP to save Toronto money, and tack on Grichuk or Smith.

20 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Mentioned here a few weeks back. Rumor is he wants to come here. I have to wonder if hes who they have their eye on.

Id love to get machado. But hes not the answer to this year. I wouldnt give up prospects for him (even as good as he is). If he wants to come here get him in the winter. But hes not going to replace ohtani in the rotation, or fix the bullpen. And if we replace ohtani in the rotation, and fix the bullpen, wed still need to replace ohtanis bat. We cant do all 3.

Stay the course. Focus on the team emerging next year and the year after...i think its going to be better than anyone is seeing right now.

The thought of Trout-Arenado-Upton-Ohtani-Simmons in the order is damn fappable. Add in Marsh/Adell in RF and Thaiss at 1B and that looks like one hell of a (hypothetical) lineup in 2020. Maybe Jones improves and be a serviceable second baseman as well.

The rotation is setting up to be some combo of Skaggs, Heaney, Ohtani, Barria, Rodriguez, Suarez, and Canning by that year. 

Wow.

2 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

The thought of Trout-Arenado-Upton-Ohtani-Simmons in the order is damn fappable. Add in Marsh/Adell in RF and Thaiss at 1B and that looks like one hell of a (hypothetical) lineup in 2020. Maybe Jones improves and be a serviceable second baseman as well.

The rotation is setting up to be some combo of Skaggs, Heaney, Ohtani, Barria, Rodriguez, Suarez, and Canning by that year. 

Wow.

Don't forget about Pujols.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Arenado is a total stud.  But he's got a sub .800 ops outside of Coors.  

I'm having a hard time trying to imagine trade scenarios this year.  

I just don't see them making a move for an OFer.  I don't think they'll take away jobs from Kinsler, Cozart, or Maldonado.  I'd be surprised if they added a starter unless they went big and tried to get someone like degrom.  So for me, it's all about the bullpen.  Guys with expiring contracts that won't cost much in prospect currency.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I have to admit im not too familiar with him. Ive kind of fallen out of watching anyone else the last few years. I know hes a pretty big name, but I dont think ive ever even seen an AB of his. 

So Im not suggesting they target him. I want moustakas...but i know a few of you guys on here who can read numbers better than me have pointed out his flaws. So i dont know what the best fit is...but they have to sign someone. I wanted beltre back when most wanted crawford...mainly because just like them, we have no inhouse options at 3B.

But anyway, a few friends of mine mentioned him recently...people connected with the team. Only reason i mentioned him. Makes me think hes on their radar. To be fair these guys have been wrong before, but theyve been right a lot more often.

Just had a thought....this is assuming the Angels falter and fall out of the race

Maybe trade Richards to the Brewers(they could use rotation help) for Keston Hiura. Hiura is one of the better hitting prospects in MILB and fills a need at 2B for this team. College bat who is in Double-A and should be MLB ready in 2019. Plus hit and plus power potential

Just now, bloodbrother said:

Just had a thought....this is assuming the Angels falter and fall out of the race

Maybe trade Richards to the Brewers(they could use rotation help) for Keston Hiura. Hiura is one of the better hitting prospects in MILB and fills a need at 2B for this team. College bat who is in Double-A and should be MLB ready in 2019. Plus hit and plus power potential

I love the idea, but they aren’t trading him yet.  He was just drafted last year.  Also, I think Fletcher will be our guy, but I could be wrong.  

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Actually I think the trade is a little light with what the O's would ask but I would not even entertain this trade (sorry Chuck!). We can find other upgrades that will not cost us our best prospects in my opinion.

Is Machado a game changer? Sure of course. If we did a Jahmai Jones based trade for Manny and Britton I think the Angels could put together a package that would tempt them. What that consists of I am not sure. I want no part of Adam Jones I think we just need to go in-house there.

Maybe a package of Jahmai Jones, Chris Rodriguez, Leonardo Rivas, and a reliever like Hofacket or Lillis-White would be more appropriate. Even here you have to be sure that Britton's arm isn't going to fall off and that he is effective (big point here) to even consider it. They have other excellent relievers that I'd rather have like Tanner Scott, Mychal Givens, and Darren O'Day. Heck even Brach although he has had serious walk issues this season.

If we are in it at the deadline I would not be surprised in the slightest if Eppler plucks one of the O's relievers.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm having a hard time trying to imagine trade scenarios this year.  

I just don't see them making a move for an OFer.  I don't think they'll take away jobs from Kinsler, Cozart, or Maldonado.  I'd be surprised if they added a starter unless they went big and tried to get someone like degrom.  So for me, it's all about the bullpen.  Guys with expiring contracts that won't cost much in prospect currency.  

I could see them grabbing a starter like Patrick Corbin from the D'Backs, JA Happ from the Jays, or possibly, but less likely, Bundy or Gausman from the O's if any of them are available and then a reliever from the O's or Marlins or perhaps the Royals, Reds, or Tigers. I too do not see an outfielder in our future other than an internal choice.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I just looked it up because I had checked it a couple of weeks ago and it is .861 OPS away. Against RHP away it is much worse at .675 because Arenado has some serious LHP/RHP splits. He obliterates LH pitchers. Just destroys them and leaves them in pieces.

8 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

That is by far the most realistic Richards proposal I think we’ll see. Good job

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Zach Cozart - He has a pretty damn good contract for the next couple years

he does?  why would the O's even consider taking him? 

.226 BA

.299/.373/.672

he's still owed about $34 million. the last thing Baltimore wants in return is a bad contract.