• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Crazy, maybe even DUMB trade idea..

Chuck

But...

The O's have made a call out to all other GM's saying they're ready to be sellers well before the trade deadline. Apparently there are tons of scouts at the game tonight already against the Red Sox.

So with that said.... in an attempt to salvage this season, would you (and would the O's) be willing to do this trade for 1/2 a season of Manny Machado.

The O's receive: 

Zach Cozart - He has a pretty damn good contract for the next couple years who they could flip at the deadline or in the offseason if they wanted as well. They could keep him to go along with Beckham and Schoop so that they're not complete garbage over the next couple years. 

Matt Thaiss - The Angels have Jared Walsh and if Ohtani comes back and is our DH this season, next and beyond, where does Thaiss play? BTW, the O's current 1B options are gawd awful. The Angels also have Jose Miguel Fernandez. Pujols will retire when he feels like it too. 

Brandon Marsh or Michael Hermosillo - Hermosillo is a guy the O's could plug into CF right now if they're going to tank it.  Marsh is a long term, top 100 prospect so they would probably value him more.

Jose Suarez - He's only 20 years old and is a southpaw strikeout artist and on the cusp of a big league callup. 

The Angels receive:

Manny Machado - Plays SS until Simmons is back, then heads over to 3B. Maybe after playing with Trout and team he signs with the Angels, like Upton did.

Adam Jones - He'll be a rental much like what Machado will be, but at least we got a good bat and great defender that would be roaming RF next to Trout.

Zach Britton - He becomes our closer or setup guy behind Blake Parker

Final thoughts: Even if both players leave via FA at the end of the season, we would have lost a 1B prospect who may not even see the Angels dugout until 2021, a southpaw who has been lights out over the past two seasons, but has also shown he can't go deep into games. Hermosillo is well behind in the prospect OF depth chart behind Marsh, Adell and even our first rounder Adams when you also consider Trout and Upton will be roaming the outfield over the next few years. If we deal Marsh that would be the toughest player to lose in the deal, but we do have some good depth there and we could also move Jahmai Jones back to the outfield since we have Fletcher and Rengifo. As far as Cozart, I think we can replace him with Moustakas via FA at 3B or give the job to Taylor Ward who has shown to be a stud there. JMF could play 1B, Fletcher 2B in 2019. That said, acquiring two profile players who will be leaving the O's and never to come back for four good players/prospects, I think is a pretty good offer. But will it be enough? Or, would it be too much to give up for players that most likely wouldn't sign an extension prior to the offseason or in the offseason. 

Before I leave you, here's what the lineup would look like headed toward the dog days of summer, trying to chase the Houston Astros and Seattle Mariners.

2B Kinsler

CF Trout

3B Machado

LF Upton

DH Pujols/Ohtani (if Shohei comes back)

1B Fernandez

RF Jones

SS Simmons

C Maldonado

Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, but I think they'd be able to get more separately, or at least higher quality, for Machado and Britton in separate deals. You could argue that Thaiss, Marsh, and Suarez is probably fair for Machado straight up. 

On paper, adding Jones makes sense, but I also don't think they're dramatically incentive to move him simply as a throw-in. Relievers are in high enough demand that even an injured, pending FA like Britton fetches one good prospect, and maybe a second lotto ticket. 

Great idea and creative but just think there are too many pieces for it to be realistic.

I actually think you'd be better off pitching that package to Kansas City for Moustakas, Herrera, and Duffy, and the Angels would get more bang for their buck, as they'd very likely be able to re-sign Moustakas in the offseason (less likely with Machado) and giving up that prospect haul for Duffy at least gives you another long-term pitching solution. Herrera would be much more appealing than Britton too.

Only problem there is your rotation gets awfully lefty-heavy in Skaggs, Heaney, and Duffy - perhaps you flip one in the offseason for an OF/prospects to recoup some of what you dealt - but it gives you a lot more insurance in the rotation if Richards walks or Ohtani does need TJS.

I don't think it's enough. They've reportedly asked for 4 prospects, two young ML ready and two further away, and that's just for Machado. Adding Jones and Britton means you're likely looking at two more guys from the Angels minors, and maybe even one more guy from the major league squad. And it needs more pitching. Adding in Barria and probably a guy like Canning is what it would take for those three.

And I'd say heck no.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I actually think you'd be better off pitching that package to Kansas City for Moustakas, Herrera, and Duffy, and the Angels would get more bang for their buck, as they'd very likely be able to re-sign Moustakas in the offseason (less likely with Machado) and giving up that prospect haul for Duffy at least gives you another long-term pitching solution. Herrera would be much more appealing than Britton too.

Only problem there is your rotation gets awfully lefty-heavy in Skaggs, Heaney, and Duffy - perhaps you flip one in the offseason for an OF/prospects to recoup some of what you dealt - but it gives you a lot more insurance in the rotation if Richards walks or Ohtani does need TJS.

Duffy is not having a good season, and he's got a huge velocity drop over this time last year. That could mean trouble.

I could see the Rays having some interest in dealing Archer (~$30m) and Kiermaier (~$60m owed) for Marsh, Suarez, and Thaiss as well. Saves them a lot of money and both players have had some injury issues this year that's put a tarnish on their value. 

More risk for the Angels, but enormous value if they stay healthy.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I could see the Rays having some interest in dealing Archer (~$30m) and Kiermaier (~$60m owed) for Marsh, Suarez, and Thaiss as well. Saves them a lot of money and both players have had some injury issues this year that's put a tarnish on their value. 

More risk for the Angels, but enormous value if they stay healthy.

When does Kiermaier come back? They probably won't need Thaiss since they have Cron and Bauers, now Ji-Man Choi. But we could flip them Hermosillo in addition to Marsh. 

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Duffy is not having a good season, and he's got a huge velocity drop over this time last year. That could mean trouble.

You could probably swap him out with Jake Junis or Whit Merrifield in that equation too, but it'd mean one more prospect. Duffy would be more palatable to give up for KC because of his contract. There's talent there and he's had some good starts, but absolutely a roll of the dice.

Just now, totdprods said:

You could probably swap him out with Jake Junis or Whit Merrifield in that equation too, but it'd mean one more prospect. Duffy would be more palatable to give up for KC because of his contract. There's talent there and he's had some good starts, but absolutely a roll of the dice.

Ian Kennedy even.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

When does Kiermaier come back? They probably won't need Thaiss since they have Cron and Bauers, now Ji-Man Choi. But we could flip them Hermosillo in addition to Marsh. 

Could swap Ward for Thaiss in the deal. Kiermaier's starting his rehab assignment soon, torn a ligament in thumb, like Trout and Simmons had. 

They're dumping players with committed money in deals bordering selling low, and if their money troubles are that bad, the injuries to both Archer and Kiermaier and mixed year of Archer might unnerve them into moving them quickly. Even at their career averages, Archer and Kiermaier would be good gets for the Halos, and their contracts would allow enormous flexibility going forward.

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Ian Kennedy even.

Yes - I'd hope they'd be able to get someone with a little more upside, but they'd no doubt move Kennedy in that deal. And Kennedy may turn out alright. Perhaps the Halos would be able to work a decent reliever with options into the deal coming back to them as well.

I dunno.. I know Kiermaier is a tremendous defender, but are we getting that much better than Kole Calhoun offensively? Especially if Kole was truly playing through an injury which caused his swing to go to shit. He did look very good in ST with the bat. 

Would have been nice to grab Span and Colome for nothing, like the M's did. :( 

I like it but it's not enough. Machado's value isn't as high as it was last year but he's still going to cost a ton. The O's would want Marsh and Canning I think. Possibly Suarez as well. Steep price for a rental. 

Jones and Britton would probably cost Thaiss, Fletcher and Chris Rodriguez.

This is a Dipoto trade.

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Honest question: Why is Ian Kennedy being brought up?   Mainly for bringing down the prospects required to go back for Herrera and Moose?    Because Kennedy absolutely sucks (mid 5.00's ERA).    If he should come here, try him in the pen.   Got nothing to lose.

1) his contract commitment would dramatically lessen the prospect expense
2) he's been talked about as a target for the Angels many times in years' past - different FOs, but there's long been some attraction
3) the Ricky Nolasco precedent
4) His ERA sucks because he's exactly the type of SP you leave in when they get shelled to eat some innings. Take away his 8ER and 9ER start, and his ERA is 3.84 with 11 other starts reasonable for a back-of-the-rotation arm.
5) Career in AL West parks: 19 G, 105 IP, 3.90 ERA, 1.40 WHIP - not great, but decent enough. Career vs. AL West teams: 29 GS, 163 IP, 4.09 ERA, 1.34 WHIP

gonig just by the thread title i thought this was gonna be filled with "hey, how about valbuena and calhoun for judge and stanton!" kinds of stuff.

glad to see it wasn't.

* if valbuena and calhoun get traded to the yankees for judge and stanton, i expect full credit for breaking the story first.

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

2) he's been talked about as a target for the Angels many times in years' past - different FOs, but there's long been some attraction
4) His ERA sucks because he's exactly the type of SP you leave in when they get shelled to eat some innings. Take away his 8ER and 9ER start, and his ERA is 3.84 with 11 other starts reasonable for a back-of-the-rotation arm.
5) Career in AL West parks: 19 G, 105 IP, 3.90 ERA, 1.40 WHIP - not great, but decent enough. Career vs. AL West teams: 29 GS, 163 IP, 4.09 ERA, 1.34 WHIP

Okay, different idea then....Tropeano has good stuff but mechanics a little iffy.   If they acquire Kennedy, put him in the 5th rotation spot and try Tropeano in the pen?

36 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I dunno.. I know Kiermaier is a tremendous defender, but are we getting that much better than Kole Calhoun offensively? Especially if Kole was truly playing through an injury which caused his swing to go to shit. He did look very good in ST with the bat. 

Would have been nice to grab Span and Colome for nothing, like the M's did. :( 

Even before this season, I would've felt more comfortable about Kiermaier's production than Calhoun's. 
I've been blowing the whistle on Kole for a couple seasons now. There was too much volatility there. Kiermaier's ceiling isn't nearly as high, but he's much more stable. Plus he can steal some bases. 

He'd struggle to hit more than 10 HRs in the AL West, but I think he'd become a doubles machine.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Okay, different idea then....Tropeano has good stuff but mechanics a little iffy.   If they acquire Kennedy, put him in the 5th rotation spot and try Tropeano in the pen?

I like that quite a bit. 

Trop's talented but I'm very leery of him maintaining or staying healthy as a starter. Even before the Ohtani injury, I felt we needed to add one more SP to our depth chart. Doesn't need to be more than another #5 type and Kennedy would fill that. 

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thanks for defending me here, Lol. Taking on this kind of Salary commitment lessens the prospects they'd have to give back in a deal.