• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Season over?

Season over?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. With Ohtani out for a significant period of time, is the season over?

If Fernadez can replace his bat we could still win the division.  Chances got more difficult.  Our starting pitching has to continue to pitch well, we still need to find help in the bullpen.  The injury forced up to bring Fernadez up which could turn into a blessing for our offense.

Yep. Just like when Trout went down last year.

Wait shit.

This isn't basketball. Teams can overcome the loss of their best player.  So, second or third best player in baseball?  With a roster twice as big... arguably more considering how they shuttle now.  I'd like to change my answer to "hell no"

If you guys are looking for a reason to not freak out....

Ohtani (3.10 ERA) had pitched about 50 innings and he was probably going to throw about 75 more. Now those 75 are going to be split up by Richards (3.25), Heaney (3.12), Skaggs (3.27), Barria (2.48) and Tropeano (4.35). Allowing for those guys to do a little worse, what do you think their ERA would be in those 75 innings? 3.80? 4.00? And let's say Ohtani would be a very optimistic 3.00. The difference between 3.00 and 4.00 over 75 innings is 8 runs.

Offensively, he was going to bat maybe another 160 times. I have no idea how those ABs are going to be doled out, but it's worth noting that Ohtani wasn't really setting the world on fire as much lately. He hit .204 with 1 HR and a .686 OPS over the last 59 PAs. I assume he would have made some adjustments and gone back to somewhere between April Ohtani and May Ohtani. Also, the difference between a .350 OBP and a .280 OBP over 160 PAs is 12 times on base.

All these numbers are just guesses, but the point is he was pitching 6-7 innings a week and batting 12-13 times a week, so simply losing him doesn't dramatically change the Angels chances of winning. 

I will grant you that it does make them less interesting, though.

Also, he may come back in a couple months, although I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

4 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Looks like Sosh and his fans have another excuse if they don’t make the playoffs. Wonderful

Because Sosh gives excuses as to why his teams don’t make the playoffs.  

I swear you guys are morons.  You talk about how bad the players are, but then of course have to have a comment like this.  Teams win with good players that perform.