• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This Team is Fun Again

red321

I agree, @red321.. I also noticed Kinsler cheerleading from the dugout.  The lineup just gets even better when he gets back! 

We may have found a closer in Middleton, just hoping Blake Parker comes back around. 

But yeah, the Ohtani factor is making for some exciting baseball once again in Anaheim. Funny to think that Trout's struggles have had zero bearing on the club's success early on. Scary to think that once he starts being Mike Trout and Kinsler comes back....damn! 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree, @red321.. I also noticed Kinsler cheerleading from the dugout.  The lineup just gets even better when he gets back! 

We may have found a closer in Middleton, just hoping Blake Parker comes back around. 

But yeah, the Ohtani factor is making for some exciting baseball once again in Anaheim. Funny to think that Trout's struggles have had zero bearing on the club's success early on. Scary to think that once he starts being Mike Trout and Kinsler comes back....damn! 

Kinsler is definitely that player you hate when he isn't on your team but love when he is. Dude seems to already be good buds with Ohtani and I love this quote from him after Ohtani's first HR game against Cleveland

“There are a lot of unwanted and unnecessary negative comments about his game,” Ian Kinsler said. “He didn’t have a chance to prove himself. It’s a lot of fun to see something like that from a guy who has a huge spotlight on him and obviously doesn’t let it bother him. He’s played extremely well the first week of the season. It’s real exciting to see.”

I know a lot of people here were against getting Kinsler for his previous remarks against our team, but I'm glad we have him.  It sounds like he'll be ready to return after 10 days, so I think that puts him on track for Tuesday?

So with Kinsler back, I'm guessing we will see:  Kinsler, Trout, Upton, Pujols, Calhoun, Cozart, Simmons, Valbuena/Marte/Ohtani (depending on LHP/RHP/Ohtani's off days), Maldonado.

If Ohtani keeps hitting like a BOSS, I could perhaps see a lineup like this later on in the season:

Kinsler, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Pujols, Calhoun, Cozart, Simmons, Maldonado.

Assuming Calhoun finds his way, we'll have two legitimate LH power hitters in the lineup.  Nice balance!

I would have normally turned the game off after being down 6-0, but just enjoy watching them.  They have a vibe going right now and it's a lot of fun.  Even if they don't come all the way back last night, it was still a good game.  

It's even more fun to think that they might not even be playing their best baseball.  I think Richards and JC could be better.  Heaney coming back is huge if he can stay.  

Trout is hitting .206 with a .185 BABIP and has the second highest avg exit velo in all of baseball through the first 8 games.  

We have the lowest bb rate in baseball at 5.5% which I think will increase over time.  We also have the third lowest k rate.  (offense).

Anyway, there are gonna be other ways for us to win besides what we've shown which is encouraging.  

Great teams are never really out of a game. The Angels can score runs in bunches, either by the long ball or providing continuous pressure on the opposition until they make a mistake (like the A's did last night). 

The Angels defense prevents runs from being put on the board. They get outs every night in places no one else does.

The Angels rotation can be very effective for six innings a night when healthy. 

And while the bullpen appears to be an adventure, you can't argue with the fact that despite the unproven nature of our relievers, the sheer depth we have with Eduardo Paredes, Dayan Diaz, Felix Pena, Akeel Morris and Miguel Almonte suggests that the Angels should find some combination that works. 

And early returns on Jim Johnson, Noe Ramirez, Luke Bard and Key Middleton look very promising.

1 minute ago, Scotty@AW said:

Great teams are never really out of a game. The Angels can score runs in bunches, either by the long ball or providing continuous pressure on the opposition until they make a mistake (like the A's did last night). 

The Angels defense prevents runs from being put on the board. They get outs every night in places no one else does.

The Angels rotation can be very effective for six innings a night when healthy. 

And while the bullpen appears to be an adventure, you can't argue with the fact that despite the unproven nature of our relievers, the sheer depth we have with Eduardo Paredes, Dayan Diaz, Felix Pena, Akeel Morris and Miguel Almonte suggests that the Angels should find some combination that works. 

And early returns on Jim Johnson, Noe Ramirez, Luke Bard and Key Middleton look very promising.

I like how Bard is looking so far for a Rule V pick.  If he can stick around all year, he'll be a useful piece moving forward, as he'll still have 3 option years after this year.  Flexibility is very important in terms of the pen.

The pen is definitely a work in progress, but we do have a lot of potential.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I would have normally turned the game off after being down 6-0, but just enjoy watching them.  They have a vibe going right now and it's a lot of fun.  Even if they don't come all the way back last night, it was still a good game.  

Game thread the last few years has been pretty steady -- Angels go down 2 or more runs and people said game over and tuned out...   Nobody is turning the game off anymore. 

I had people in Miami today see my Angels cap and stop me to talk baseball.   So much hype about Ohtani, Trout, Simmon, shocked to see J-Up is an Angel now...   That had not happened in years...   Dude today kept telling me how he wasn't an Angels fan but that he couldn't help but keep watching because the team was so fun to watch.

Miami has it's issues with the Marlins, so it's cool to see the baseball fans here being so vested in the happenings of a team 3K miles away.

The cool thing with this team is they are exciting.  Even being down 6-0, fans were still standing up from their seats to watch and film Ohtani batting.  I mean how often do you see fans getting excited down 6-0 with nobody on and two outs?  

We have a very good team, but not an elite one just yet.  There will be ups and downs.  Enjoy the ride, and know that as an organization, we are gradually accumulating more and more talent.  This team is being set-up for a run of some great years in the very near future. :)

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Game thread the last few years has been pretty steady -- Angels go down 2 or more runs and people said game over and tuned out...   Nobody is turning the game off anymore. 

I had people in Miami today see my Angels cap and stop me to talk baseball.   So much hype about Ohtani, Trout, Simmon, shocked to see J-Up is an Angel now...   That had not happened in years...   Dude today kept telling me how he wasn't an Angels fan but that he couldn't help but keep watching because the team was so fun to watch.

Miami has it's issues with the Marlins, so it's cool to see the baseball fans here being so vested in the happenings of a team 3K miles away.

Thats good to hear. I like that Simmons is getting noticed. Hes gonna be under the radar forever, with trout and now ohtani in the mix. But damn that guys cool.

I think the biggest difference is upton. Not specific to him personally, but we finally have depth in the lineup. The last few years hwve been TROUT, Pujols, then calhoun. And once it became pooholes, and calhoun slipped, it was tune in for trout, and who knows, maybe some dude will get lucky.

This isnt the 2012 offense, but its still impressive. Im really hoping kinsler can just be a pest at leadoff. Trout, Upton, and likely cozart should be enough pop. Pujols and calhoun should round it out nicely. And ohtani and simmons will make the non MOTO innings fun.

Lets just hope the pitching holds up this year.

Debbie downer warning...most of the games have been against the AAA A's.  Not exactly a serious test of MLB capability and their defense is second to everyone.

As noted, Ohtani and Kinsler have injected some welcome enthusiasm.  When Kinsler returns, lead him off, then Cozart, Trout, Upton, Ohtani, Calhoun, etc.  Put some OBP guys in front of Trout.