• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Driverless Car Kills Pedestrian

2 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

Cars will tell the computer system managing traffic the route that everybody is taking, and adjust the speed of all other cars. No need to even have stoplights anymore. 

That's the utopian version, anyway.  There's always a dystopian version, though, lol. (see last link)

https://engineering.illinois.edu/news/article/21938

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriewinkless/2017/05/26/just-one-driverless-car-could-ease-traffic-jams/&refURL=https://www.google.com/&referrer=https://www.google.com/

http://www.businessinsider.com/self-driving-cars-traffic-congestion-2017-6

That test proves nothing when it comes to driving in real-life traffic. Twenty cars driving in a circle with no lane changes, traffic stops, drivers hurrying to get somewhere, angry drivers, traffic accidents, roadwork delays, "old or Asian" drivers ( right @Adam ?)  . . . I could go on and on. 

Edited by Lou

4 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

They couldn't.

I think there's going to need to be some serious discussion about pedestrian right of way laws and all of that with driverless cars. 

But driverless cars are going to be a reality, I think.  I can't wait.  No stoplights.  No traffic jams.  

Just in time for when @Blarg finishes his Spitfire.  

3 hours ago, Lou said:

That test proves nothing when it comes to driving in real-life traffic. Twenty cars driving in a circle with no lane changes, traffic stops, drivers hurrying to get somewhere, angry drivers, traffic accidents, roadwork delays, "old or Asian" drivers ( right @Adam ?)  . . . I could go on and on. 

Right.

Self-driving is not the hard part - anyone can in a month build something that works for 99% of traffic situations.

It's the one-offs: the canonical ball coming into the street, or old asian drivers, or blowing a tire, or sliding in the snow, or teens on their phone, etc that you have to worry about. That sh*t is really, really, really hard to handle programmatically. 

This is why the first generation of these will be on highways, not the last-mile in the city. Much less things happen on a highway than in town. So normal driver gets the truck out of the city, self-driving takes it down from east bay to the grapevine along the 5, and normal driver finishes the route. As long as the self-driving truck stops at Harris Ranch for a steak they are golden.

5 hours ago, LHalo said:

What a weird set of situations.  That the car didn't even brake or swerve.  Questions about whether the system even recognized her as a human.  Then the fine line of the car going 38 in a 35 zone.  Doesn't seem like much.  But when you are talking about an autonomous car.  Should programming be allowing it to break the law?  It sounds like a stupid argument.  But if a person is driving, they make a choice to speed and have to face the consequences of their actions.  What do you do about an autonomous vehicle?  Then the part about Uber having someone convicted of armed robbery behind the wheel.  it'll have nothing to do with the accident.  But just further shows that Uber just doesn't vet who they hire at all.

7 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Right.

Self-driving is not the hard part - anyone can in a month build something that works for 99% of traffic situations.

It's the one-offs: the canonical ball coming into the street, or old asian drivers, or blowing a tire, or sliding in the snow, or teens on their phone, etc that you have to worry about. That sh*t is really, really, really hard to handle programmatically. 

This is why the first generation of these will be on highways, not the last-mile in the city. Much less things happen on a highway than in town. So normal driver gets the truck out of the city, self-driving takes it down from east bay to the grapevine along the 5, and normal driver finishes the route. As long as the self-driving truck stops at Harris Ranch for a steak they are golden.

takeaway: there will never be autonomous cars self-driving in glendale for the foreseeable future.

and i think you meant Anderson's Pea Soup, not Harris Ranch, you heathen.

7 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Right.

I was sure this story was going to end with a bowl of Anderson's Pea Soup 

can't believe anyone who has had to deal with a commute through LA is opposed to driverless cars.  i used to drive from long beach to hollywood every day up the 110 to the 101 and i guarantee you that commute would've been half as long if you didn't let all the morons anywhere near the gas pedal.  the problem in LA isn't really the number of cars on the road, it's the speed that people drive in heavy traffic, causing frequent hard braking and a cascading gridlock effect backwards.  driverless cars (presumably) won't have a incessant road rage and feel the need to try to "win" traffic, just a nice steady 30-40 mph through the downtown interchange with sensible merging and few lane changes. 

46 minutes ago, well_red said:

can't believe anyone who has had to deal with a commute through LA is opposed to driverless cars.  i used to drive from long beach to hollywood every day up the 110 to the 101 and i guarantee you that commute would've been half as long if you didn't let all the morons anywhere near the gas pedal.  the problem in LA isn't really the number of cars on the road, it's the speed that people drive in heavy traffic, causing frequent hard braking and a cascading gridlock effect backwards.  driverless cars (presumably) won't have a incessant road rage and feel the need to try to "win" traffic, just a nice steady 30-40 mph through the downtown interchange with sensible merging and few lane changes. 

i like you thoughts on this. i think it would work best on the highways first as there are just so many unpredictable (i.e. idiotic) things that happen on side streets and avenues, especially when you factor in pedestrians and the idiots on bicycles.

this would probably work best if somehow everyone on the road could get their car equipped with it at the same time. it'll be filled with a lot of learning curve issues when some cars have it and many/most do not.

The real question is about who ends up being at fault. Other than that, this means very little - driverless cars don't need to be perfect, they need to be as good as humans. The reality is so far, they are much better, per mile driven.

In this case, the person behind the wheel will probably be at fault. Until we really figure out how to deal with this, this will be the bigger issue - its really not hard to make a machine better at not killing people than people are.

44 minutes ago, krAbs said:

The real question is about who ends up being at fault. Other than that, this means very little - driverless cars don't need to be perfect, they need to be as good as humans. The reality is so far, they are much better, per mile driven.

In this case, the person behind the wheel will probably be at fault. Until we really figure out how to deal with this, this will be the bigger issue - its really not hard to make a machine better at not killing people than people are.

I will ask again, what is the end game for this?  

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

I will ask again, what is the end game for this?  

Short term end game: cheaper transportation, both for people and for goods. Chance to lower price of goods somewhat (self driving trucks lowers shipping costs a lot), and price of taxi services (taxi, uber, etc) dramatically. You could also see economic models quickly emerging where it is cheaper and more efficient to just not own a car, so general transportation costs would go down.

Long term end game: the above, with the added benefit of 1) far fewer road fatalities/injuries, and 2) higher efficiency as self driving cars should be capable of using roads much faster than humans can, as they have near-perfect reflexes. Added benefit here of being more environmentally friendly.

I mean, other than a cheaper, more convenient society, I guess not much.

2 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Anderson's Pea Soup is on the way back you jerks.

Harris Ranch down, Anderson's coming back up.

But I have been known to hit up both. 

And sometimes.... a stop in Gorman for carl's jr. 

I forgot you're upside down from me