• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Another Mass Shooting

m0nkey

Out of curiosity @Catwhoshatinthehat, how old is your friend, and when did the problems start? And are you aware of any substance abuse issues?

Unfortunately, his mom is like a lot of other people. They end up supoorting an adult kid and go broke doing it. (Sad when its a mental health issue, but i see it a lot more with turd criminal types who go to jail a few times a year, stay with mom when theyre out).

As far as purchasing weapons, thats very true. If there is nothing on file, he would pass the background check. (He was actually in an institution before, so I assume he couldnt...but i have no idea how the background process works. Not sure how mental health stuff is checked).

A few months back, some guy similar to this killed his mom. I remember talking to her new husband. Theyd only been married about 2 years or so. But he mentioned how worried he was that the kid was going to hurt the mom some day. Not sure why he said that, i only spoke to him briefly. But i wonder if in cases like that, the parents ignore warning signs and still act in "protect" mode.

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Without due process? 

With due process. Like TORS said, put a 72 hold on them. After that maybe set them up for evaluation in front of a panel of judges/psychologists. I'm just spitballin' here. I mean, I'm as libertarian as they come but the guy I saw last month in SF jerking off under a blanket on the sidewalk while screaming at himself shouldn't be out in public. Dude should be in the nut house.

1 hour ago, LHalo said:

With due process. Like TORS said, put a 72 hold on them. After that maybe set them up for evaluation in front of a panel of judges/psychologists. I'm just spitballin' here. I mean, I'm as libertarian as they come but the guy I saw last month in SF jerking off under a blanket on the sidewalk while screaming at himself shouldn't be out in public. Dude should be in the nut house.

Give that man an AR to jerk instead!!

There’s definitely some people out there who belong in the booby hatch but they aren’t the ones committing mass murder. They’re too detached to harbor that much anger for long enough to plan, prepare, and execute the scenario. Maybe it makes more sense to look at some trigger actions (pun not intended but it works) and more immediate reactions 

2 hours ago, LHalo said:

I hold cals partially responsible for some of this individual's behavior.

I have an alternate take.

The Second Amendment says nothing about guaranteeing the right to ammunition. I think this solution is so simple, it's hard to imagine that it hasn't been thought of before (except by Chris Rock, sorta).

Let everyone keep their guns. Instead, institute a "user fee" (conservatives love their user fees instead of "taxes") on ammunition. Say, $100 per round. Have the proceeds go toward gun safety training classes (free for everyone who wants it), mental health services, or homeless vets. You know, all the things that extreme gun rights advocates SAY they care about. If you really want to shoot your gun, then you pay extra, just like those who smoke or like to drink.

After all, back when the Bill of Rights was enacted, there were no large-scale ammunition manufacturers. Many people made their own shot to use in rifles that shot, at most, 2 rounds per minute. So, if you REALLY feel the need to fire multiple rounds, you can either pay the piper, or make your own ammo.

So, you still have the Constitutional right to bear arms. You just have to pay up to fire them. Ain't nothing in the Constitution about that.

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Out of curiosity @Catwhoshatinthehat, how old is your friend, and when did the problems start? And are you aware of any substance abuse issues?

Unfortunately, his mom is like a lot of other people. They end up supoorting an adult kid and go broke doing it. (Sad when its a mental health issue, but i see it a lot more with turd criminal types who go to jail a few times a year, stay with mom when theyre out).

As far as purchasing weapons, thats very true. If there is nothing on file, he would pass the background check. (He was actually in an institution before, so I assume he couldnt...but i have no idea how the background process works. Not sure how mental health stuff is checked).

A few months back, some guy similar to this killed his mom. I remember talking to her new husband. Theyd only been married about 2 years or so. But he mentioned how worried he was that the kid was going to hurt the mom some day. Not sure why he said that, i only spoke to him briefly. But i wonder if in cases like that, the parents ignore warning signs and still act in "protect" mode.

He's in his 30's and I think his problems have somewhat always been there.  He's not on anything now but in our early 20's we partied regularly, after a while it kind of got away from him and his parents confronted him.  He did a complete 180, had a good job, was out on his own, didn't even drink and became extremely religious and regimented.  That end of the spectrum was definitely better but I think he needed to find some kind of middle ground where things weren't so hardcore one way.  He kind of retreated into his own world, lost his job because he was difficult to deal with, ran up debt and so on then rather than trying to get help he just embraced it while his mom supporting him allowed it to get worse.  Like you I really don't know exactly how the background checks work and whether or not he could get a gun but someone who doesn't have a record or hasn't been institutionalized that has issues like him being able to buy a gun is a problem.  As you said though that's a hard situation to protect against unless gun laws changed dramatically.  To be honest with you my fear is that he is a danger to not only himself but also his mom.  I really hope I'm wrong.   

On 2/21/2018 at 4:41 PM, LHalo said:

With due process. Like TORS said, put a 72 hold on them. After that maybe set them up for evaluation in front of a panel of judges/psychologists. I'm just spitballin' here. I mean, I'm as libertarian as they come but the guy I saw last month in SF jerking off under a blanket on the sidewalk while screaming at himself shouldn't be out in public. Dude should be in the nut house.

I see what you did there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2018 at 3:15 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Well said @LBHalos17. And you cray cray for living in town, holmes! Ive run into dudes 3 cities over from where i work....lucky for me i look different without my makeup i guess.

Great story regarding this...  My buddy and I usually take-off early on Weds. to hit a bar for some shuffleboard or pool.  We went to play pool, and I see this crazy-looking dude dressed all in black come rolling in after awhile.  There's about 6 people in the bar, including us and the obviously Tinder-matched couple playing the other pool table.  Well, he comes strolling over to our game after stink-eyeing us from afar for awhile.  I pretty much immediately recognized him from arresting him the week before for a restraining order violation against his own family (he has threatened to shoot or stab his cousin).

He says to me, "You look familiar to me."  I said, "Well, if you've been in this bar before you've probably seen us.  We're regulars."  And that was the end of it.  I went into the restroom to relieve myself, and stood sideways fearing he might follow me in there to get stabby.  My buddy ran in instead, and asked if I had my gun.  Told him I didn't, and he ran out to his car to get his!  Nothing happened, and the guy eventually left.

I don't do much makeup at work, but I'm pretty much bald and wear ball caps outside of work.  8}

On 2/20/2018 at 5:05 PM, Vladdylonglegs said:

The government's inaction has seriously perplexed me for a long time. You would think the government would be elated to have everyone begging the government to take their guns away and happily accommodate.

Makes you wonder if an amateur really did precisely maneuver a 757 well outside its structural limits for over an hour to eventually make a 10 foot hole in the Pentagon and that the start of a never ending war and the cancellation of the 4th Amendment just kind of happened.

Saw this today...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3684835-the-secret-government

There's a passage regarding school shootings, "The government encouraged the manufacture and importation of military firearms for the criminals to use.  This is intended to foster a feeling of insecurity, which would lead the American people to voluntarily disarm themselves by passing laws against firearms.  Using drugs and hypnosis on mental patients in a process called Orion, the CIA inculcated the desire in these people to open fire on schoolyards and thus inflame the antigun lobby.  This plan is well under way, and so far is working perfectly.  The middle class is begging the government to do away with the 2nd amendment."

I'm working on getting a copy of this book, that was written back in 1991.

On 3/10/2018 at 8:07 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

One of the psychologists killed was a friend of a friend of mine. This isn't too far from where my daughter went to college (she's safe as she came home for this current quarter).

1 hour ago, LBHalos17 said:

Saw this today...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3684835-the-secret-government

There's a passage regarding school shootings, "The government encouraged the manufacture and importation of military firearms for the criminals to use.  This is intended to foster a feeling of insecurity, which would lead the American people to voluntarily disarm themselves by passing laws against firearms.  Using drugs and hypnosis on mental patients in a process called Orion, the CIA inculcated the desire in these people to open fire on schoolyards and thus inflame the antigun lobby.  This plan is well under way, and so far is working perfectly.  The middle class is begging the government to do away with the 2nd amendment."

I'm working on getting a copy of this book, that was written back in 1991.

somebody somewhere was talking about project orion. is this the same as that? @Vladdylonglegs?