• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Cozart to 3-year deal

jsnpritchett

8 minutes ago, True Grich said:

From mlbtraderumors.com re: his last year and whether or not it will continue...

"Whether he can sustain that level of power remains to be seen, but it’s worth emphasizing that Cozart’s 12.2 percent walk rate and 24.4 percent chase rate on pitches out of the strike zone were far and away the best marks of his career. Those positive trends suggest that much of his improvement at the dish was legitimate, even if the power could be difficult to replicate. Those of the mind that his power spike was in any way tied to his hitter-friendly home park in Cincinnati, though, should also take note that 12 of Cozart’s 24 homers came on the road, and his .279 road ISO handily topped his .230 mark at home. "

I'll take the increased plate discipline and call it a day.  I don't at all expect to see him hit 20+ homers again.  If he can be patient, work the count, and get on base, all the while providing excellent defense AND positional versatility, I'll say that's worth the 13mil/yr he's being paid.

Just now, Mark68 said:

Why would we need to sign LoMo? Valbuena can back up 1B and 3B. Figure more of a Pujols/Valbuena platoon at 1B.

We don't need to, but it'd be nice to have more LH hitting options that we currently have.

We don't need a backup utility infielder on the roster anymore with Cozart on board.  This frees up another player for us to be on the roster.  I think Cron's gone.  Adding LoMo would help balance our lineup more.  I anticipate Pujols will see significant time on the DL as well.  Maybe that's just optimistic of me, though...

8 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Pretty much ensures Cowart as backup 3b/2b.  Also makes Valbuena or Cron expendable in a trade for an arm.

Agree about Cowart but he's not a bad backup at 2B/3B defensively and I have not given up that he'll figure out hitting at ML level...did hit over .300 two years in a row at AAA and is a good pinch runner too.

I believe they'll keep Valbuena to rotate at 1B with Pujols and trade Cron since Valbuena gives them more flexibility since he can play 3B also and he bats lefty plus Thaiss may only be a year away at 1B and hits left handed so would replace Valbuena then.

Okay folks, I'm excited. We have a great group of players. Getting Upton has been an incredible boon to us, as he's been reaching out to players and trying to recruit for him (both Kinsler and Cozart). The clubhouse chemistry should be great and that was a big influence for both Cozart and Kinsler. 

Offensively, our team is night and day better. With Kinsler and Cozart, we have GREATLY improved over last year. And defensively, our pitchers will relish playing with these guys behind them. As Eppler said, we do have the chance to be something special in run prevention. 

I still think that there will be some more work to be done on the pitching side--I still sense that they are trying hard to go to a 6-man rotation, and I won't be surprised if a bullpen arm or two comes here. But Angels fans, this has been one of our best offseasons--better than getting Pujols and Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Why would we need to sign LoMo? Valbuena can back up 1B and 3B. Figure more of a Pujols/Valbuena platoon at 1B.

Its not a need, its an upgrade.  Eppler is a fan of OBP, Cron isnt :)  Plus hes clearly the obvious weak link at this point at a position with available options.  
Eppler has filled the holes at this point, now is the time he gets creative. 

Just now, floplag said:

Its not a need, its an upgrade.  Eppler is a fan of OBP, Cron isnt :)  Plus hes clearly the obvious weak link at this point at a position with available options.  
Eppler has filled the holes at this point, now is the time he gets creative. 

While this may be true, it only happens if we trade Valbuena.

32 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

IMO this means Cron is as good as gone. You don't sign a guy to a 3 year/38 million dollar contract to platoon with someone. 

Or Valbuena could be dealt, since Cowart is a very good 3B to back up Cozart with (and confusing fun with the similar names).   Cron's improved defense and sock can still be important.

I love this move, Cozart was someone I thought the Angels would consider this off-season and 3 years, $38M is an underpay in my opinion. His floor on defense alone is probably worth the price we just payed. Although his offense may regress I, like some others here, believe it will still be more than adequate for our needs.

Quite pleased with this move.

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Hopefully this new stance was the reason for the spike in offensive production 

His batted ball profile on fly balls changed -- not unlike many others who have seen an offensive surge.  Cozart's a nice pick up because he can slide over to 2B next year once Kinsler is gone.   Eppler has been yapping about putting an emphasis on defensive flexibility -- Cozart brings that.  I think this is also a further indication the Angels fully intend to roll with a 6 man rotation.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I truly hope you are right.  I hope he puts up inflated numbers in his age 32 year, which will be this year coming up.  Also, just a hunch, Eppler does see things we don't, since he is paid a ton of money to do just that.  Just as I am sure you see things in your profession that Eppler wouldn't see.  

Eppler has been wrong about a few players but that goes with the territory. 

I like this signing  ... looks solid. Let’s hope he can continue hitting. 

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

LV is important to this team. He's a nice power option to PH off the bench or give Pujols some rest.

I'm also not sold on Ohtani coming in and hitting the cover off the ball in a role that would be unprecedented (Pitching I think he'll be fine)

LV will be one of two left-handed bats that we will have. Calhoun as a regular, and LV off the bench.

35 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

IMO this means Cron is as good as gone. You don't sign a guy to a 3 year/38 million dollar contract to platoon with someone. 

Yes, true. C.J. has been a walking trade target for a while now though too.