• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter meetings, implications of Othani

floplag

16 hours ago, totdprods said:

Could be the Angels and Ohtani are in agreement in how to develop his unique talents. He's only 23. We've never seen a Japanese star come to the US while still being 'raw' and developing - they're usually coming here fully developed.

Ohtani seems to have high goals on his mind - maybe he does aim to be a full-time SP who really does play 1B or OF 3-4 times a week, maybe DH once, but he is aware that won't happen Day One. So we may see him gradually move into the field. 

Totally uncharted territory.

This seems right on the mark so the Angels have to have some flexibility at 3B, 1B and DH to work with integrating Ohtani into the offensive side.

Signing Todd Frazier to match up with Valbuena at 3B makes some sense and not as costly as signing Moustakas plus Frazier could/would also play 1B at times.  Don't see Moustakas wanting to play 1B plus Frazier typically has a much higher OBP than Moustakas.

Watched a film clip of an interview with Ohtani's manager from Japan and he said Ohtani is a much better hitter than pitcher at this time and much more of a natural hitter than pitcher. He went on to say Ohtani lacks consistent control of his pitches and can get wild at times.

Hoping Angels either pick up Hernandez or Kinsler - both solve 2B/lead off issues and both steal some bases. Don't want Walker since he's basically a station to station player with no stolen bases.  Signing Walker would force Angels to bat Calhoun or Simmons at lead off - not an ideal situation.

Kinsler/Hernandez

Trout

Upton

Pujols (he'll play mostly every day at 1B or DH)

Ohtani or Frazier/Valbuena when Ohtani sits or pitches

Calhoun

Valbuena/Frazier

Simmons

Maldonado

Have an issue with six man rotation - it forces team to carry one less relief pitcher so during an entire season don't know how that would work out especially considering starting pitchers aren't going deep into games that much anymore.

By all accounts, Ohtani appears to be a pitcher who hits and not a true two-way player.  Nonetheless, to my simple mind mind, it makes the most sense to have Ohtani hit as the DH when not pitching, and pitch when not DHing.  I think that was the plan in Japan which seemed to work based on his stats.  Albert will play more 1B (probably better than Cron/et. al.) to stay in the lineup.  I have a hard time imagining Pujols bumping Ohtani out of the DH spot if Albert's performance looks like last season, and Ohtani's performance looks anything close to his Japan stats

The real question in my mind is how does this impact Albert's future?  Eppler's successful signing of Ohtani may have subtly determined Albert's future.

31 minutes ago, eligrba said:

By all accounts, Ohtani appears to be a pitcher who hits and not a true two-way player.  Nonetheless, to my simple mind mind, it makes the most sense to have Ohtani hit as the DH when not pitching, and pitch when not DHing.  I think that was the plan in Japan which seemed to work based on his stats.  Albert will play more 1B (probably better than Cron/et. al.) to stay in the lineup.  I have a hard time imagining Pujols bumping Ohtani out of the DH spot if Albert's performance looks like last season, and Ohtani's performance looks anything close to his Japan stats

The real question in my mind is how does this impact Albert's future?  Eppler's successful signing of Ohtani may have subtly determined Albert's future.

Mike is really gonna have to be a manager this season. I think this plays right into his hands.

2 hours ago, ksangel said:

This seems right on the mark so the Angels have to have some flexibility at 3B, 1B and DH to work with integrating Ohtani into the offensive side.

Signing Todd Frazier to match up with Valbuena at 3B makes some sense and not as costly as signing Moustakas plus Frazier could/would also play 1B at times.  Don't see Moustakas wanting to play 1B plus Frazier typically has a much higher OBP than Moustakas.

Watched a film clip of an interview with Ohtani's manager from Japan and he said Ohtani is a much better hitter than pitcher at this time and much more of a natural hitter than pitcher. He went on to say Ohtani lacks consistent control of his pitches and can get wild at times.

Hoping Angels either pick up Hernandez or Kinsler - both solve 2B/lead off issues and both steal some bases. Don't want Walker since he's basically a station to station player with no stolen bases.  Signing Walker would force Angels to bat Calhoun or Simmons at lead off - not an ideal situation.

Kinsler/Hernandez

Trout

Upton

Pujols (he'll play mostly every day at 1B or DH)

Ohtani or Frazier/Valbuena when Ohtani sits or pitches

Calhoun

Valbuena/Frazier

Simmons

Maldonado

Have an issue with six man rotation - it forces team to carry one less relief pitcher so during an entire season don't know how that would work out especially considering starting pitchers aren't going deep into games that much anymore.

Couldn't one of the six starters pitch an inning of relief during their five days off.

20 hours ago, floplag said:

Why not, we have the depth and it mitigates injuries to all of them 

People laughed when teams went to 5 man rotations some 38 years ago.   They will laugh at going to 6 man rotations, but with the injury epidemic in pitching and with Shohei used to pitching every 6th game, it makes sense to do. 

4 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

The only red flag that I can see is that he pitched 160 innings in 2016, and followed that by pitching 50 or so in 2017.  And, he is only 23.  I think that Mike Scioscia also came into play during the decision making process, the reasoning being is that the manager is very good at working a pitching staff. 

My guess is, health permitting, we see Ohtani for about 180 innings or so in 2018.

I more see 150-160 innings, then by 2019 about 180 innings.

Personally, i believe we need a 2nd base that has decent OBP and has speed. My first choice is the ideal choice, Cesar Hernandez but, i do believe that the asking price for him is way to high. Which it should be, But i do not thinks its wise to trade a Pitching Prospect or a starter from our rotation due to the uncertainties. My second choice would be Josh Harrison, not only can he play 2nd but he can also play all around the infield with a good glove. He doesn't strike out a lot as he's yet to K over 100 times in a season, has power 16 hrs last year, BB are low but still gets on base, .339 OBP. Also he's playing in a park that is not friendly to right hand hitter, Angels stadium is a pitcher's park but for a right hand it's still good.  To me Harrison sound like a player that is similar to what Simmons was in Atlanta, but with better offense and look at where Simmons is right now.       

On the pitching side, If Richards can stay healthy and Ohtani is at least a real good 3 or a 2 we may have a formidable 1-2 punch in the rotation, all we need is one of Shoe, Skaggs or Heaney to  return to form and create the big three, ironically i think all three of these guys have the potential to solid. With our Bp and a healthy Rotation we are looking at least 90 Wins.    

Lineup-

2nd  Jhay

Rf- Calhoun

Cf- Trout

Lf- Upton

1st- Pujols

DH- Ohtani

SS- Simmons

3rd- Valbuena 

C- Maldando

Rotaion

1. Richards

2. Skagss

3.. Ohtani

4. SHOE

5. hEANEY

Angels should focus on 2B, a platoon bat to pair with Valbuena at 3B, and RP help. I hope they pass on adding Moustakas at 3B because look at the state of the AL right now. Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, and Indians are all heavily stacked teams. It's gonna be hard for teams like Toronto, Baltimore, etc to really compete for a playoff spot. With both Donaldson and Machado on the last yr of their deals, I think we see both of them become available at the trade deadline. Orioles especially need to take a step back because they're in a bad spot with a poor farm and a marginal roster. This would be when the Angels step in and make their move to acquire one of them at the deadline. The price would also be lower since they'd both be strictly 2+ month rentals