• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Heyman: Angels likely to pursue Moustakas

Chuck

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is how many of these offseason stories, including some I may write, come to be.....

1. writer thinks to himself: Moustakas is from SoCal.

2. Writer to himself: Angels need a 3B

3. Writer to himself: Angels need a LHB

4. Writer to himself: Angels have some money freed up

(So far this is no different than what you can do yourself.)

5A: Writer asks Angels exec, off the record, about Moustakas. Told: "We are looking at everyone. He is part of everyone." Or:

5B: Writer asks exec, off the record, from other team if Moose to Angels makes sense. Exec does 1-4, just as writer did, and says "Yeah, that seems logical." Or:

5C: Writer asks Moose's agent, off the record, if Angels are interested. Agent says: "Oh yes! Many many teams are interested including the Angels." Agent then spends 30 minutes convincing writer that Moose is the best player ever  

Welcome to the hot stove season.

Sounds not unlike the process before folks start posts here, at least 1-4 - except said writer actually gets paid.

Just now, ThomasSutpen said:

Might help land Moustakas if the Angels bring in Pablo Sandoval too - they share the same nutritionist and personal trainer so they are pretty tight.

Regarding Gordon, after the GMJ and Hamilton experiences, I have a hard time imagining Arte green-lighting a dude that's recently been busted for PEDs.

Pablo Sandoval is great if your main problem with pujols is that we get way too much production out of him.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is how many of these offseason stories, including some I may write, come to be.....

1. writer thinks to himself: Moustakas is from SoCal.

2. Writer to himself: Angels need a 3B

3. Writer to himself: Angels need a LHB

4. Writer to himself: Angels have some money freed up

(So far this is no different than what you can do yourself.)

5A: Writer asks Angels exec, off the record, about Moustakas. Told: "We are looking at everyone. He is part of everyone." Or:

5B: Writer asks exec, off the record, from other team if Moose to Angels makes sense. Exec does 1-4, just as writer did, and says "Yeah, that seems logical." Or:

5C: Writer asks Moose's agent, off the record, if Angels are interested. Agent says: "Oh yes! Many many teams are interested including the Angels." Agent then spends 30 minutes convincing writer that Moose is the best player ever  

Welcome to the hot stove season.

I wish that sentiment 5A especially could be expressed in the form of a Venn diagram.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I can't figure it out - who's the mystery player? 

Here's another 3B option I've been thinking about: 
4-year average:
160 games, .264/.320/.447/.767, OPS+ of 112, 108 WRC+
Averages 34 doubles, 25 home runs, 87 RBI, 4 SB, and 3.5 WAR annually. 

In fact, over those 4 years, WAR has been 3.3, 3.2, 3.9, 3.6. Very consistent. 
Annual average value of his contract? $9.6m.

You can't figure out the mystery player because it is staring you right in the face.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I can't figure it out - who's the mystery player? 

Here's another 3B option I've been thinking about: 
4-year average:
160 games, .264/.320/.447/.767, OPS+ of 112, 108 WRC+
Averages 34 doubles, 25 home runs, 87 RBI, 4 SB, and 3.5 WAR annually. 

In fact, over those 4 years, WAR has been 3.3, 3.2, 3.9, 3.6. Very consistent. 
Annual average value of his contract? $9.6m.

18 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Evan Longoria

I'll give you a hint: He's already on our roster.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yep.  It’s also possible that a discount to come here could still be an over pay.  If the Yankees or Red Sox offered him $100 million and he came here for $85 million it doesn’t mean us fans will be happy with his contract. 

This is what Im thinking. A significant discount, IMO, is probably still more than the Angels should spend on him.

9 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Valbuena is frickin horrible. Sorry but you don't bat .190 for an entire season and get to pass it off as a fluke bad year...

It's not like he didn't get every opportunity to turn things around

Except BAbip indicates he was really unlucky. His OBP was still 100 points higher. 

He's never been a high BA guy, and he definitely had some terrible cold streaks, but he good chance he will rebound next year. A .245/.345/.445/.790 line with 20 HRs would be fine in a platoon.

38 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Except BAbip indicates he was really unlucky. His OBP was still 100 points higher. 

He's never been a high BA guy, and he definitely had some terrible cold streaks, but he good chance he will rebound next year. A .245/.345/.445/.790 line with 20 HRs would be fine in a platoon.

You make your own luck. They put the shift on him and he can't adjust and hit the ball the other way. He's not going to put up that line at Angels Stadium with the approach he had last year trying to pull everything. Maybe in a bandbox like Houston it's possible

Good players don't get 450 at bats, bat under .200, then say it was bad luck

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

You make your own luck. They put the shift on him and he can't adjust and hit the ball the other way. 

Good players don't get 450 at bats, bat under .200, then say it was bad luck

He was shifted against prior in his career too.

I remember early into Valbuena's Angel career Gubicza pointed out that Luis would go into stretches where, in an effort to beat the shift and go the opposite way, he'd fall into a pattern where he popped up a lot of pitches and throughout the year, I saw him go through stretches like that frequently.

I don't expect him to hit .199 again next year, nor do I expect him to maintain his second half .546 SLG and .866 OPS. 

5 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

Moustakas at third would be an upgrade. But first things first. The Angels have no MLB second baseman on the roster, unless I've forgotten Bobby Grich's pending comeback. Or is Adam Kennedy ready to give it another go?

This is another thing I need to remind fans each year. You make deals when they are available, not in the order of importance.

inevitably, when a team does X, some fans will respond with "why aren't they focusing on Y first?"

You just have to finish by Feb 9. Doesn't matter what moves come in what order.