• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox dump Farrell as manager

yk9001

48 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The 10 year contract was no doubt a factor too.

Tito was victim to the Beer and Fried Chicken..   Clubhouse shit always seems to be the downfall of Boston managers.   I think the last guy to get fired cause of actual baseball stuff was Grady Little and his great offense was trusting Pedro Martinez to finish an inning.  Valentine, Francona and now Farrell seem to have been due to clubhouse issues.

The ten year deal with MS was a mistake.   Even a 5 year deal was unheard of for a manager, ten years was a trip.

I suspect (and I could be wrong) that Moreno is the type of guy who likes to build long-term relationships (probably helped him to build his fortune) and so handing out a long-term contract to "his guy", whether it is Scioscia, Pujols, et al, is probably originating from his past business and personal dealings. It is probably a contributing factor to why he got so pissed off with Boras because it sounds like they had a handshake agreement for a long-term contract for Teixeira.

It is, perhaps, a dual weakness/strength in the baseball world.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Scioscia gets NO pass on the condition of the roster when he has positioned himself to be highly influential in putting the team together rather than just making out lineups and deciding when to bunt.

No pass.  No way.  You make your bed, you sleep in it.

Annectdotal evidence at best, you really think Scioscia had much to do with the roster during Dipoto's run as GM? 

How about now with Eppler, do you really think Scioscia had anything to do with picking up Simmons? Or the refusal to be part of the bidding wars for the free agent class of 2015, even though most wanted at least one of those guys. 

This whole patience with the farm, picking up arms that were castoffs, do really think a manager wants those guys as opposed to paying for some veteran pitcher like Sale, Price, or the likes?

Fuck and no, Scioscia would like to manage the damn Red Sox lineup and instead he's trying to find something to use out of players like Espinosa instead of Pedroia.

Many of Scioscia’s coaches have become good managers in the game. That speaks volumes for Sosh ... one of the best managers in the game today. 

Joe Maddon struggled as a manager in his early years. I believe Sosh’s knowledge of the game helped put him on the map. They definitely made a good team together. 

To play Devil's Advocate Dombrowski said winning wouldn't have saved Farrell's job:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red-sox-fired-farrell-for-reasons-that-would-not-have-been-prevented-by-winning/

Sounds like there was some kind of disagreement or discord between the manager and either the players or upper management.   

The Angels have simply had bad teams without enough talent to compete that also ran into more than their share of bad injuries.

People can blame Scioscia all they want to for the last couple of years but if you don't have the talent and they aren't healthy to boot how in hell is that Scioscia's fault.

I honestly don't think there is any other manager in baseball that could have won with the last two Angel teams but I also recognize that there is a large hate Scioscia contingent here that will blame him for everything and credit him for nothing. There are people here that probably think it was Scioscia's fault that Shoemaker got hit in the head.

I also happen to think it's time for Scioscia to go but not for the reasons many here believe. I feel it's time for a change in the Angel dugout but I'm realistic enough to know that unless some of the problems with the players are addressed then nothing will really change. Players with talent win in sports not managers. 

If the Angels were to acquire a new manager and the team doesn't meet the critics unreasonable expectations, they'll just have another daily bitch fest here about how crappy the new guy is. How anyone could have seriously or reasonably expected the 2017 Angels to make the play-offs or to actually advance just flies in the face of reality and to blame Scioscia for that is just as ridiculous.

If the Angels don't shore up the damaged and injury prone pitching staff and fill a couple of other position don't expect much to change even if there's a new manager.

YMMV

I think Scioscia’s Dodger connections have helped him.  The Angels had a checkered past and the FOX Dodgers quit operating like the 1940s-1980’s Dodgers with 6 WS championships.  Scioscia installs Dodger baseball and bloop! WS championship.  Over the years the Angels evolved into a team that can’t do that kind of thing with an Albert Pujols batting 4th.  And now the injuries.

I don’t recall the Red Sox having a manager with local ties, so firing one might not upset the community as much.  Theo Epstein and Dombrowski have brought better players to the team and the duds they bring in are risks management is willing to take.  Fans will pay through the roof to go to a game.  So the Red Sox managerial job is one where the manager knows from the outset his days are numbered, more so than for other teams.

43 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Give me some odds of his return in 2019

I honestly don’t think he’ll be a manager in 2019. I think he’ll get a nice front office position that doesn’t require him to show up to work everyday. He’s easily flown over a million miles throughout his career as a player and manager. He’s had a good run, earned enough money and it’s time for him to move forward. 

47 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Upton is MAYBE proof that Arte Moreno does care.   Let's see how that works out this winter, and what acquisitions are brought in during the next 4 months.

I don’t think Upton prefers other clubs over the Angels, so I think they can sign and get that LF albatross off their backs once and for all.

57 minutes ago, Calzone said:

I honestly don’t think he’ll be a manager in 2019. I think he’ll get a nice front office position that doesn’t require him to show up to work everyday. He’s easily flown over a million miles throughout his career as a player and manager. He’s had a good run, earned enough money and it’s time for him to move forward. 

That’s a opinion ... what about the odds

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

If we sniff the second wild card again, two-year extension.

If we make the playoffs, he'll get the credit and a five-year extension.

Win the World Series, and he's Manager For Life.

Will they pull a Dusty Baker on him and wait until after next season to make a decision?

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Scioscia gets NO pass on the condition of the roster when he has positioned himself to be highly influential in putting the team together rather than just making out lineups and deciding when to bunt.

No pass.  No way.  You make your bed, you sleep in it.

When has soscia ever had the position of general manager?