• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox dump Farrell as manager

yk9001

18 hours ago, California Cajun said:

Let me say after participating on the MLB board with him for 15 years AnaheimBob is a solid baseball man and has been an Angel fan since 1965 (if I remember correctly).  He does , however, dislike Scioscia as a manager.  I hope we can keep on speaking our minds here.

Yeah, Bob was much less fixated on Scioscia back then but he clearly and openly hates all things related to the Dodgers and that includes Scioscia. I'm sure Bob hated Scioscia long before he ever managed the Angels. lol As a long time Angel fan myself I understand the animosity some of us have toward the Dodgers. They get the lead on every local news stations sports cast all through the baseball season even in the years they were doing poorly and the Angels had great teams..the Angels have always come second to the Dodgers in the media. There are other reasons for long time Angel fans to hate the Dodgers but I don't think they need to be rehashed now. 

I much prefer the Bob of the old MLB Angel board but I get where he is coming from even though I'm not a Scioscia hater.

5 hours ago, ThomasSutpen said:

No need to even speculate either - the Yankees were in this position last year with Arod and they benched him and forced him to retire in August. There was no debate about 3rd or 4th hole in the lineup and there was no scoreboard erected to count his milestones. A quote from him at the time that Pujols would do well to re-read 2,000 times:

"No athlete ever ends his or her career the way you want to. We all want to play forever. But it doesn’t work that way. Accepting the end gracefully is part of being a professional athlete. Saying goodbye may be the hardest part of the job, but that’s what I’m doing today."

While true, Arod was subject to a league investigation and suspension. By the time the Yankees took this action, it was understood that he wasn't going to have tremendous support for the Hall, and no one cared about the records because they were considered tainted.

17 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Huh? Find a post of mine that suggested trading Trout or Simmons. I'll wait. There was a podcast years back that went through the Angels team and showed the prospects they could have gotten back for trading away most of the team and the haul was decent. I'll look for it later.

Since you didn't bother to quote what you were responding to I'm going to assume you're responding to me....   At no point did I or anyone else say you suggested trading Trout or Simmons, what I did say was that they had all of two players who had any real value beyond Trout and Simmons -- reading is fundamental.  This was in response to your prattle about how the team would have been so much better off if they had only listened to you and traded off last offseason (2016) like you were "pining" for.   So whatever was said in that podcast "years back" the reality was the Angels had two legitimately trade-able assets beyond Trout and Simmons in July of 2016.   

On 10/12/2017 at 8:09 AM, Inside Pitch said:

Just who exactly where they going to trade off that would bring in this talent?    Did you actually see what the team put out on the field last year?   Jefry Marte was among the top ten WAR earners...   

So -- lets recap the amazing tradable assets...   Their .209 hitting 25 year old catcher?   The guy that was obtained as part of a package deal along with Tropeano for Hank effing Conger?   Their 26 year old 1B/DH still looking for his first .500 slg% season?   Their 28 year old 2B who couldn't catch the plague in medieval London and got DFA'd despite the massive gaping hole that was 2B?  Simmons?  Who they traded away two pitchers for 3 months earlier and who at 26 is arguably the best SS in the AL?   Mike Trout??   because nothing says "we are serious about winning" like trading away a generational talent.  Rafael Ortega was the leading at bat getter in LF -- he was so in demand his only taker last off-season was San Diego where he spent the entire season in AAA.    Pujols and his 24 mil AAV?   Escobar who they did try to move and the guy who covers the team repeatedly told us nobody wanted?    They had ONE guy with any semblance of value -- Calhoun.  One.   

Pitching wise they had Weaver, his magically disappearing FB and Jhoulys Chacin two guys so much in demand they too ended up signing with the Padres.  Street was injured.  Richards, Skaggs and Tropeano were injured and gone for the year.     Salas WAS traded.   Santiago WAS traded....    So you had Bedrosian at 24, and Shoemaker who was sporting an ERA of 4.50 at the deadline...   

I think people who believe this probably wanted to see the team spend like the Yankees and Red Sox and was happy to see the team jump into the AP sweepstakes.   Because -- "Oh boy, they were REALLY trying."

Yes, yes.....    The only way Moreno can show he really cares is to spend even more money...    Angel fan logic 101.   

vintage IP. the only thing missing is a follow-up post from Bads85.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

To play Devil's Advocate Dombrowski said winning wouldn't have saved Farrell's job:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/red-sox-fired-farrell-for-reasons-that-would-not-have-been-prevented-by-winning/

Sounds like there was some kind of disagreement or discord between the manager and either the players or upper management.   

Hard to believe that.