• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stanton wants out if they rebuild

Dtwncbad

I just wish the Angels would learn their lesson on all these long term high money contracts. They have been burned more times than not. GMJ, Pujols,Hamilton. After hearing complaints of how much these deals have hurt the teams flexibility to sign players to fill holes, fans want to take on a $288 mil deal?  That trade will create more holes in our lineup and farm system  than we currently have. Not to mention the loss of flexibility of payroll to fill holes and stay under the tax. NO THANKS! 

43 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I just wish the Angels would learn their lesson on all these long term high money contracts. They have been burned more times than not. GMJ, Pujols,Hamilton. After hearing complaints of how much these deals have hurt the teams flexibility to sign players to fill holes, fans want to take on a $288 mil deal?  That trade will create more holes in our lineup and farm system  than we currently have. Not to mention the loss of flexibility of payroll to fill holes and stay under the tax. NO THANKS! 

What about Vladdy, Hunter, and Weaver?

I don't disagree with you about the money as there is no way Stanton is an option if Upton stays. That would be 100 million committed to 4 players. 

On 10/4/2017 at 9:30 AM, arch stanton said:

You can't compare Pujols and Stanton like that. Albert was nicknamed the machine, Stanton actually looks like a machine. He's much more athletic. His power will hold up as long as his interest in hitting a baseball holds up and he should be able to run much better

Thats the comparison of the 2, basically.

main-qimg-c3fb348d2c816ebea07af5377e19633a.png

I wont get all hot and bothered by this, because i just dont see us being a player. But if there is even a shred of possibility, you do it.

The pairing of trout with a bonafide tier 1 player, still in his prime would be huge. The marketting of having both would be huge. We can afford him and it wouldnt break us. There is seriously zero downside.

The money he costs obviously is a huge gamble. But so would any of the available free agents out there. Plus we wouldnt lose a draft pick.

But sadly, id say the dodgers are before anyone. I think agons contract is almost up, too.

Don't really understand the pujols/stanton comps.  Stanton is likely to age way better.  Pujols decline is unprecedented for an inner circle HOFer.  Is there risk for Giancarlo as well?  Sure.  But I would take my chances.  

That mentioned, I am not sure I'd like the halos to pay the price in prospects.  

Agree that Machado isn't getting $300 mil.  At least not anymore after his mediocre 2017.  

The FA class after the 2018 season is amazing but I can't help think that there will be several really good players not getting the bounty they expect.  

Of course the big boys will have money but there can only be so much to go around.  

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:33 AM, ettin said:

By my estimation he is double Stanton's price in terms of surplus value. As I said in a different thread I just don't think we have the prospect value to get him. We'd have to send MLB players too.

Skaggs, Heaney, Bridwell, Middleton, Bedrosian, Perez, Barria, Chris Rodriquez, Adell, Jones, Canning....etc...The Angels have the requisite MLB and prospects to get Yelich.

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Don't really understand the pujols/stanton comps.  Stanton is likely to age way better.  Pujols decline is unprecedented for an inner circle HOFer.  Is there risk for Giancarlo as well?  Sure.  But I would take my chances.  

That mentioned, I am not sure I'd like the halos to pay the price in prospects.  

Agree that Machado isn't getting $300 mil.  At least not anymore after his mediocre 2017.  

The FA class after the 2018 season is amazing but I can't help think that there will be several really good players not getting the bounty they expect.  

Of course the big boys will have money but there can only be so much to go around.  

Even if he ages better, Pujols was so far above Stanton to start with that it makes it risky. If Stanton drops off by half as much as Pujols did then he's basically the bad AP. Stanton put up his highest OPS+ this season, 165. AP had 7 seasons higher than that before he came to the Angels. 

That's before taking into account injury history. Stanton rarely plays 150 games or more (2 times in his career). Through his age 28 season Pujols only had 2 seasons when he didn't play 150 games.

Even if we leave all that aside, "better than the Pujols contact" shouldn't be the goal. It may be the worst contract in baseball history in terms of surplus $ paid out over production created. There is a huge gap between "better than the Pujols contact" and a good move. 

I think we all have bad contract hangovers. Angel fans especially, sfter pujols/hamilton/wells. Thats after dodging a bullet on crawford. Perhaps on fielder. Tbe current mccab situation.

That said, look at beltre. Agon. Etc etc. We absolutely should be hesitant to take on huge money. But at some point you have to. Trout could fall off at 30, too. We should still do everything to resign him.

Not only is stanton a beast, but if in fact he could be bad for little prospects by just taking on the money, there really isnt a more perfect situation for this team. The only way it would be a better fit would be if he played 3B.

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

What about Vladdy, Hunter, and Weaver?

I don't disagree with you about the money as there is no way Stanton is an option if Upton stays. That would be 100 million committed to 4 players. 

Vlad and Weavers deals were bargains. Way under value for both players. Hunters was one of the few where we got value for the dollar for the entire length of the deal.

4 hours ago, ksangel said:

Pair him with Calhoun and Trout in the OF - WOW...rather have those three than Trout, Stanton and another LF like the Angels have been putting out there before Upton...

I like how he doesn't open his hips early. If allows him to square up those outside pitches the other way. When i look at Calhoun and Pooholes, they open the hips up too early and have a hard time reaching outside pitches.  I was always taught that "your hands follow your hips".

5 hours ago, ksangel said:

Skaggs, Heaney, Bridwell, Middleton, Bedrosian, Perez, Barria, Chris Rodriquez, Adell, Jones, Canning....etc...The Angels have the requisite MLB and prospects to get Yelich.

That's what I said.

Highly doubt he ends up here but if Upton opts out, it's a pretty good fallback plan. The question I had before and still have now is how much prospect currency is this going to cost? That contract is still likely an albatross in the end and the Marlins will want prospects as well. Finding that middle ground with the Marlins will prove to be highly difficult for any team trying to acquire Stanton.