• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rebuild? Time to consider it for fans, players

budice0

11 hours ago, Calzone said:

They sure are exciting to watch though. They've won 102 games so far and have a +193 run differential. They're playing in October and that's what it's all about. I'm sure that their fans are good with it. 

A new GM, Owner and Manager can really make a difference.

So does an ownership group that has more money than the apollo program. Every team should sign a several billion dollar media deal, so you can take on contracts like crawford just to get gonzalez. 

Pretty simple. Youd think more teams would mimic.

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So does an ownership group that has more money than the apollo program. Every team should sign a several billion dollar media deal, so you can take on contracts like crawford just to get gonzalez. 

Pretty simple. Youd think more teams would mimic.

Imagine if the Dogs SportsNet deal was actually including everyone in SoCal.   That's a scary thought.

No way Arte can compete with that in any way, shape, or form.

19 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'd like to punch that guy's face. I don't like him. 

Nunez or Moustakas. 

I dont get the fascination with Nunez personally, at least not as a 3B.  I feel like whoever we get to fill the other infield spot needs to bring some added pop, as Mous would, as opposed to being a possible leadoff guy.  
Then again i suppose we really need both but it will come down to $$$ im sure.

On 9/27/2017 at 6:01 PM, Farmbuildingfan said:

my biggest concern is the health of the starting rotation next year.

That's my biggest concern as well.  It does get confusing when the pitchers are outperforming the position players.  I really can't picture the best Angels team that can be assembled in a short time frame.

26 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont get the fascination with Nunez personally, at least not as a 3B.  I feel like whoever we get to fill the other infield spot needs to bring some added pop, as Mous would, as opposed to being a possible leadoff guy.  

1. He'd be much cheaper than Moustakas and is more versatile position-wise (can play 2B, SS, 3B).

2. Moustakas is in the midst of a career year, and we'd have to pay for that.

3. If we're keeping or re-signing Upton, our resources would be better spent on a starting pitcher and other needs.

4. See #1.

13 hours ago, Lou said:

Since 2013, the dodgers have spent about $1.2 BILLION on payroll (that doesn't include luxury tax fines)

I'd say winning their division five times in a row makes it worth it.  

However, I'm not saying the Angels need to spend that much money, but I do think Arte needs to spend more than he has the last few years.  I think Arte trading for Upton knowing that Upton can choose to stay at 20+ million a year shows he recognizes this and is willing to do so.  I really think we'll be seeing some moves this year.  

Really? Your going to pull the Cleveland argument where it isn't warranted?

We have a good front office right now, an improved scouting department, and an improved minor league development team. 

The only thing separating us from where Cleveland is at now is time. From 2008 to 2015 Cleveland was only involved in one Wild Card play in which they lost. They had 4 sub .500 years in a row during that time span. 

Every team that falls from Grace needs time to recover. You don't see the Giants in any playoff picture. Where are the Royals? Go down the list of divsion leaders in the AL and see very few have stayed in contention after their short bursts of success.

The Angels are on an accelerated time line compared to most of the teams leading their divisions now, that once were cellar dwellers for an extended period of time.

Time is now all the Angels really need. They have all the right people in place making player aquisition decisions.

Edited by Blarg

49 minutes ago, floplag said:

Nunez offers a decent hitter, a decent glove and good speed on the bases.  He can play anywhere in the infield too.  He will also be affordable.  

I'd love Mous, but he is coming off of a career year and the Yankees need a 3B.  I think they'll spend big to get him.

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Imagine if the Dogs SportsNet deal was actually including everyone in SoCal.   That's a scary thought.

No way Arte can compete with that in any way, shape, or form.

I don't think Arte could or should compete with the Dodgers.  He just has to do better than he has over the last few years.

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I'd say winning their division five times in a row makes it worth it.  

However, I'm not saying the Angels need to spend that much money, but I do think Arte needs to spend more than he has the last few years.  I think Arte trading for Upton knowing that Upton can choose to stay at 20+ million a year shows he recognizes this and is willing to do so.  I really think we'll be seeing some moves this year.  

What's funny is there are a lot of posters here who say not winning it all is not a successful season. I know a lot of dodger fans who don't give a damn about winning their division. 

1988 was a looooong time ago.

11 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

1. He'd be much cheaper than Moustakas and is more versatile position-wise (can play 2B, SS, 3B).

2. Moustakas is in the midst of a career year, and we'd have to pay for that.

3. If we're keeping or re-signing Upton, our resources would be better spent on a starting pitcher and other needs.

4. See #1.

All these are true, but they are all financial, not in regards to the quality of the player.  Which is the better 3B, thats the bottom line. 
Are we going for that or best bang for the buck?  
I agree on Upton, I dont agree on the starter as thats going to be the worst cash sink this of season imo.  not enough quality to justify the cost. 

The starting pitcher may or may not end up being a cash sink, but it's a necessary one. If we're serious about competing for the division (not just to sneak into a wild card), then we have to be willing to look at Otani, Darvish, or Arrieta. At the very least, we ought to be looking at the next tier (Lynn, Cobb, Garcia). All come with risks, but if there's one thing that this season has taught us, there is really no such thing as minimal risk when it comes to pitching. The "minimal" risk pitchers (Scherzer, Quintana, Leake) are simply not available.

20 minutes ago, Lou said:

What's funny is there are a lot of posters here who say not winning it all is not a successful season. I know a lot of dodger fans who don't give a damn about winning their division. 

1988 was a looooong time ago.

For me, getting to the playoffs is the goal because as most sane baseball fans know, anything can happen in the playoffs.  You just gotta get there first.

As for the Dodger fans who are currently saying that they don't care about the Dodgers winning their division, you know what they are?  Spoiled.  It is easy not to care about that when you've won it so many years in a row.  I bet Braves fans in the 90's were saying that too and guess what?  They'd bust a nut to win the division right now.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Speaking of rebuilding, what were the Royals thinking?  

I kinda get it - this was their last shot with their homegrown WS team to stun the world again. Some things are worth more to a fan base than prospects. The rental position player market was shit in terms of trade return this year too.

I think they'll re-sign one of them, or make a strong effort to at least, and then 'rebuild' by signing rebound vets on one-year deals and trading where they can.

5 hours ago, Lou said:

1. A shitload. They are owned by the Dolan family.

2. I agree 

Who cares how much money the family has? Pro sports franchises are a vanity item, not a money pit. Arte has made a killing off the Angels. If he was in the red I don't think anyone (mostly) would give him a hard time about not spending.