• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rebuild? Time to consider it for fans, players

budice0

On 9/28/2017 at 8:48 AM, beatlesrule said:

I am so jealous of teams like the Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs and Dodgers and Astros and Indians and other organizations that actually know how to build and sustain a competitive ball club.

The Cubs really? more than 100 years between WS wins. Indians 80+ years and still haven't won another WS. The Astros took 10 years of being terrible to become a contender again. They went 3 years in a row 50+ games below .500.

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

And the Tigers were competing on opening day, who cares?

You miss the point. The point is that at the trading deadline, the Royals still had a shot to get in the postseason. At the waiver trading deadline, they still had a shot. That's why they didn't blow up the team.

By the way, they now have a better record than the Angels. So THAT'S what they were thinking. They were thinking they were still in it, and they were as much in it as any other team.

13 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

You miss the point. The point is that at the trading deadline, the Royals still had a shot to get in the postseason. At the waiver trading deadline, they still had a shot. That's why they didn't blow up the team.

By the way, they now have a better record than the Angels. So THAT'S what they were thinking. They were thinking they were still in it, and they were as much in it as any other team.

Granted, they had the 2nd WC spot on July 31st.  

But by Aug 31st, they were 4.5 gb of the 2nd WC with 5 teams to pass.  Thinking that's a chance is delusional.  

They have a better record than a team that's 6-14 in their last 20?  congrats to them.  

They are losing their 3 best players and a couple others.  The heart and soul of their team.  They've  been to two and won one WS in the last 3 years.   They are a smaller market team with a lesser payroll.  They probably have a worse farm system than the halos.  

They could have obtained at least 3 top 100 prospects between those 4 players plus probably another 6 depth pieces that likely fit into their top 30.  At the very least, they could have returned 20% of their top 30.  

They had their run.  It worked.  

They got greedy and now their are going to be at least 10 years away from another playoff appearance.  

oh btw, they're saddled with Alex Gordon's 44 mil over the next two years.  He's 33 and had a 613ops this year.  Then there is Kennedy's 3/50 and his 5.50 era.  And Jason Hammel's 11mil for next year coming off his over 5 era season.  They've also got 8.25 mil left to Brandon Moss.  He's not good.  

They've got Sal Perez, Danny Duffy, Whit Merrifield and Jorge Bonafacio.  All solid players.  

100mil in guaranteed contract plus another 20 mil in arb and options.   

They might lose 200 games next year.   

45 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

They could have obtained at least 3 top 100 prospects between those 4 players plus probably another 6 depth pieces that likely fit into their top 30.  At the very least, they could have returned 20% of their top 30.  

How many Top 100 prospects were dealt this deadline? How many top prospect did J.D. Martinez fetch? 

I don't disagree that they missed a good opportunity to reload their farm some, but by all accounts no one was willing to give up much of anything for rentals, especially position player rentals, at either deadline. 

And as unlikely as it was, had they made the playoffs even, or even more miraculous made it to or won the Series, I'm sure Royals fans still would felt it was worth it. As you say, they're a small market team, so why not try and make the most of what remains from your championship team and see if it brings in some extra money, adds org appeal, helps retain a player, maybe even boosts attendance, interest, and TV deals up enough to impact the standing of the org. If they fail, yeah they're back to square one, but it's not like their fan base is conditioned to rebuilding by this point.

Fwiw, I agree with your thinking and I too think they should have got everything they could have, but I can see the other side of it.

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Who cares how much money the family has

Well, California Cajun, for starters. I was answering his question. 

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Arte has made a killing off the Angels. If he was in the red I don't think anyone (mostly) would give him a hard time about not spending. 

He doesn't pay his players with Forbes Team Valuation vouchers. They want something liquid, like cash. 

And to say Arte doesn't spend is 

image.jpeg