• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Football: CTE, concussions, repeated hits . . .

On 9/22/2017 at 7:53 AM, nate said:

Yeah I don't get how MMA can still exist since the goal is to give the other person a concussion...

Also I think what is really bad for football is now the research is saying repeated small hits are more dangerous than concussions.  So players like linemen that have a big impact every single play are basically exposing themselves to CTE.

Same thing with boxing, where the goal is to knock your opponent unconscious. We all saw the effects of cumulative blows to the head to Muhammad Ali.

When former players were fighting for compensation from the NFL, I saw a former offensive lineman for the Jaguars speak (unfortunately I don't recall his name) who was in his late 30s and he could barely walk to the stage due to neurological problems.

2 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Same thing with boxing, where the goal is to knock your opponent unconscious. We all saw the effects of cumulative blows to the head to Muhammad Ali.

When former players were fighting for compensation from the NFL, I saw a former offensive lineman for the Jaguars speak (unfortunately I don't recall his name) who was in his late 30s and he could barely walk to the stage due to neurological problems.

Yeah, former UCLA great and TB Buc Brian Price has dementia and he is only 28 years old...

https://www.bruinsnation.com/sunday-morning-quarterback/2017/7/25/16030682/video-former-ucla-bruin-brian-price-is-likely-suffering-from-cte

• 3 months later...

This has been known for a while, it is why linemen have the highest incidence of CTE.  The constant repeated small hits are far more damaging than the infrequent big hits.

It is why no rule change or technology in the world could significantly lessen the chances of CTE.

Edited by nate

7 minutes ago, nate said:

This has been known for a while, it is why linemen have the highest incidence of CTE.  The constant repeated small hits are far more damaging than the infrequent big hits.

It is why no rule change or technology in the world could significantly lessen the chances of CTE.

Yep, we've discussed it before, it's just more and more certain with each study.

2 hours ago, nate said:

it seems like the NFL is a modern day version of gladiator battles. fans love it, players love making big hits. announcers decry rules meant to protect players ("why don't they just put a skirt on the QB? etc).

things won't change until the people who love playing or are making the most money are willing to change things or give up certain things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First modfication, flags are attached to all players so tackling is eliminated. 

Second modification, no physical pushing or shoving allowed that would result in a player falling.

Third modfication, bubble wrap.

Fourth modfication, chamomile tea and pumpkin spice muffins.

• 3 months later...

The NCAA just settled a lawsuit over CTE with the widow of a former Texas football player who died at age 63 due to complications of CTE. This is the first such case to make it to trial. It will be interesting to see what this leads to down the road.

I'm guessing that the settlement was one of those "We're not admitting any wrongdoing, but here's some cash to go away" deals.

NCAA Settles CTE Lawsuit With Family of Former Texas Player Greg Ploetz