• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

On 3/10/2023 at 10:44 AM, PattyD22 said:

If you drive up Highway 18 through Lucerne Valley, just above the Mitsubishi Plant, there is actually a road sign that has a picture of Big Horns on it, warning they are in the area.  I’ve never seen one in the years I’ve been driving up, but then again, I’ve never looked either.

I will from now on.

Jason: “I also didn’t know they make cars in Lucerne Valley.  Awesome!”

On 3/9/2023 at 11:23 PM, Tank said:

BB928ADC-10B5-4AEB-8C73-664C8B69FDFF.jpeg

I've been going down the rabbit hole with custom vans or Rv's that look like this. I follow a few people on YT that live in vans and just trek the continental US and cook out of their vans, etc. Get you one of these bad boys and live in style.

Spent the weekend camping near Randsburg, CA.  Nice little one bar, one restaurant, a few shops, town and area.  Surprisingly not as much flower bloom as I thought there would be.  A lot of the dirt roads were rough and damaged.  Definitely needed a high clearance suv/jeep/buggy.  

The Benson Canyon cemetary.  A lot of prospectors, some very recent, and even some pets.  20230316_230539.jpg

20230317_115222.jpg

Lot's of stars at night.  Not as much as pictured, but definitely more than in the city.

20230316_233920.jpg

Sunset and Sunrise.

20230318_065211.jpg

20230318_071433.jpg

Some flowers, but not really a superbloom type situation.

20230318_082901.jpg

20230318_082940.jpg

20230318_083034.jpg

Randsburg

20230318_110119.jpg

20230318_110729.jpg

20230318_110837.jpg

20230318_111445.jpg

20230318_125359.jpg

20230318_130156.jpg

And no, not where I spent the night.  Maybe.

20230318_130038.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Video captures dramatic helicopter rescue of injured hiker in Angeles National Forest

If that picture is correct, then that is an area called first water on the Old Mt. Wilson Trail.  Which is odd, because it's not that far from the trailhead.  Maybe 2 miles.  And not even the hard part of the trail, and it's a wide open part of the trail.  My guess is, they went down to the water, where it's probably still flowing hard, and did dumb things.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I see it all the time on trails.  Let's go hiking and don't drink or bring water.

Man complaining of heat exhaustion dies on Lakeside hiking trail

Anyone that doesn’t take water on a hike is probably hiking in flip flops.

It’s how God separates us from the idiots.

Edited by PattyD22

I know Joe, he is part owner of a small bakery in San Dimas. One day he just decided to hike up into the hills and shoot a cooking on the trail show. He really needs some editing and production advice but since I don't want to end up hiking with him he will have to learn by reviews. 

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I know Joe, he is part owner of a small bakery in San Dimas. One day he just decided to hike up into the hills and shoot a cooking on the trail show. He really needs some editing and production advice but since I don't want to end up hiking with him he will have to learn by reviews. 

Nice video.  Looked really good.  The only suggestion I have is more drone shots when climbing, like in the end.  Especially either difficult sections or scenic sections. 

The only other things to add, which isn't production.  Make sure he has a campfire permit.  It's an easy online thing to do, but since he's cooking, better to have one.  Biolite, while effective, I find is too heavy and feeding it constantly is kind of a pain in the ass when cooking.  Also, biolite is an actual fire, so watch the fire restrictions, especially if posting things online, as you may get an environmental nutjob after you.  

One other thing he can show, since he is cooking, is the differences that elevation makes.  Especially if he decides to go up to the mountains, where he will be high up.  

Oh, and @Blarg, man up, get in shape, and go up there with him.

He had a partner that blew out his labrum so camera work is limited. So now he is going solo, which I think is kind of dumb. Cooking on the trail is great but a juicy steak smells pretty good to other carnivores out there. He really needs a partner in case of an accident. You've been up enough trails to know cell phones have spotty coverage. 

His production could use a lot more descriptive dialogue of his recipes, cooking technique, equipment chosen for whatever reason and even some background story about who he got this recipe from that brings the story to life. Too much dead air, not enough descriptive storyline. 

I'm going to see him tomorrow and relay your message about permits and being damn careful of restricted areas. Once the fire season starts he may have to shut it down. 

As for me joining? I have a MRI scheduled next Tuesday for a miniscus tear. No hiking any time soon.