• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Odd he's out in the day.  Usually they are nocturnal.  I've been driving on the forest roads at night many of time, and have been buzzed by owls.  Love the sound of their wings as they fly by. 

I’m not 100% sure he’s an owl, as he was pretty far away, but he had a brilliant white chest.  He looked a little big to be a Falcon, but yeah, most owl’s are nocturnal.  

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Redondo said:

Had a visitor to my backyard 

He was here most of the day before he left. Looked like a juvenile. We usually only see them by the river

imagejpeg_0(9).jpg

We have a family of them in our neighborhood.  Never see any knocked down trash cans, and they are pretty fat, like Adam fat.  So probably enough fruit trees, and people leaving cats food that they are eating.  They seem to use the sewers as their mode of transportation or cover.  From what I understand, there is a small stream a few blocks away that they call home.

4 hours ago, Tank said:

we have crows that come onto our campus and raid our trashcans. it's been so bad we've had to put lids on the trash cans for the first time in the 37 years i've been on this campus.

Happened to one of our jobs we were doing near some alfalfa fields 

They would scatter the trash all over the place

On 12/24/2023 at 10:25 AM, Redondo said:

Had a visitor to my backyard 

He was here most of the day before he left. Looked like a juvenile. We usually only see them by the river

imagejpeg_0(9).jpg

We get those bad boys in Big Bear all the time. The only thing I really worry about is that they make a nest under our porch and the parents come after our dog.  I can’t really do anything about the scavenging, that’s just what they do.

But damn, they are testy.  Gotta be careful around them.

Edited by PattyD22

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the New Years Eve thread, but thought @Redondo, @gotbeeror others might like it.  It’s the New Years Eve tradition in Big Bear at Snow Summit.  It’s called Torches at Night, and they send 200 skiers down with lighted torches.  They used to do it at Midnight, but not anymore.  Thats just too damn late, and too damn cold.

IMG_7402.jpeg

Edited by PattyD22

3 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

I posted this in the New Years Eve thread, but thought @Redondo, @gotbeeror others might like it.  It’s the New Years Eve tradition in Big Bear at Snow Summit.  It’s called Torches at Night, and they send 200 skiers down with lighted torches.  They used to do it at Midnight, but not anymore.  Thats just too damn late, and too damn cold.

IMG_7402.jpeg

@PattyD22

That's really a great picture

Thanks for posting it for us to enjoy  😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 10:52 AM, PattyD22 said:

IMG_7402.jpeg

I spent many days at Snow Summit through high school and college. My buddy owned a snowboard shop up there and we got free lift passes everywhere and anytime, including Mammoth. We went at night after school and work but those icy conditions get old lol. I haven't been snowboarding in about 15 years though. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I spent many days at Snow Summit through high school and college. My buddy owned a snowboard shop up there and we got free lift passes everywhere and anytime, including Mammoth. We went at night after school and work but those icy conditions get old lol. I haven't been snowboarding in about 15 years though. 

we used to ski at goldmine in big bear. it was a smaller operation but the slopes were terrific. all of a sudden it was gone or swallowed up by someone else. anyone know what happened to it? @PattyD22 ?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

we used to ski at goldmine in big bear. it was a smaller operation but the slopes were terrific. all of a sudden it was gone or swallowed up by someone else. anyone know what happened to it? @PattyD22 ?

Isn’t that where Bear Mountain is now?

18 hours ago, Tank said:

Bear Mountain bought it years ago @Tankand last year, Big Bear Mountain resort also bought Snow Valley, so BBMR runs all 3 resorts on the mountain.

Altierra oversees operations of BBMR.

Goldmine was where I learned to ski 45 years ago.

Edited by PattyD22