• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

A few months back we visited family and stayed in Hayden on the lake and spent some time in Coeur d'Alene.  Really enjoyed it as it was laid back, everyone we came across was incredibly nice and you can't beat the views.  I'd love to end up some place like that some day while Idaho is top of my list.

Got into camping in the last few months and went out to Barton Flats Campground a few weeks back.  I don't think the 38 went much further than that (signs said it was closed but never specified where) because it was closed at a point due to wash outs from when the tropical storm came through.  One of the people working at the campground said she's never seen anything like the rain they got from that over such a short period.  We took our kayaks and went to Jenks Lake which was nice but I'm pretty sure it's a pond or just barely a lake by definition.  Other people had kayaks but they were using them for fishing.  The campground itself was nice as the spaces were big, there were plenty of trees and there were trails we hiked that led us across the road and back to Jenks Lake.  Looking for more options that have bodies of water we can kayak that aren't too bad temperature wise as during that same time Temecula was almost 100 degrees and even Redlands when we got off the freeway was triple digits.  The altitude knocked off 20 degrees and it cooled down more while we were there which was nice and it was in the 60's at night.

• 3 weeks later...

Cucamonga Peak.  Left when it was still dark around 6 am.  With a breeze, needed a jacket when on the peak.  Was warming up on the way down, but had cover in the last half of the decent, so it was comfortable.  Got to the parking lot, immediated started roasting, and went straight for the AC in the car.  US Forestry Service personnel are idiots.  Had a ticket on my window for not having a pass.  Pass was clearly hanging.  Looked at the ticket, and saw the license plate listed were for the car next to me.  So put the ticket on that car.

So Cal Fall.20231008_065503.jpg

So Cal Fall part 2.

20231008_065810.jpg

Sun breaking through the trees.

20231008_075807.jpg

Cajon Pass/Victorville.

20231008_080141.jpg

Cucamonga Peak.

20231008_091539.jpg

The main picture rock.

20231008_091915.jpg

The Aliens are attacking and hiding in the clouds.

20231008_094901.jpg

In the last 3 weeks, the waterfall has gone down considerably.

20231008_115631.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

San Jacinto.  Already seeing some ice forming on the creeks.  So this weekends rains will definitely bring some snow to the peaks and trails.

Tram ride up.

20231111_080044.jpg

Definitely not for those afraid of heights.

20231111_080438.jpg

20231111_080736.jpg

Ranger station about 2 miles up from the Tram in the middle of nowhere.  Would be cool to get a job there though. 

20231111_092118.jpg

Wellman Divide.  Half way through the hike.

20231111_100404.jpg

Miller Peak?  with Palm Springs in the far background.

20231111_105402.jpg

The emergency shelter just below the peak.

20231111_114446.jpg

I believe this is looking over Palm Springs also.

20231111_130033.jpg

Griffith Park.  This will be my go to through December.

Yesterday, Wisdom Tree, Lake Hollywood in the background.  I think Centry City way way in the background.  I think the wind was slightly blowing.

20231120_084440.jpg

Red Tail Hawk.  Couldn't get the phone out fast enough to take a picture when he buzzed me.

20231120_090417.jpg

2 miles later in the hike.  Fucker buzzed me again, going in the opposite direction.  Not the clearest picture, 70x zoom.

20231120_095448.jpg

@gotbeer, I’m kind of a “bird geek” and the picture of that Red Tail is pretty awesome.  I just saw one swoop down about two weeks ago in Big Bear and grab a rabbit as I was walking my dog along the Bear Mountain Golf trail.

Wildlife is cool when your high on the food chain.

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

@gotbeer, I’m kind of a “bird geek” and the picture of that Red Tail is pretty awesome.  I just saw one swoop down about two weeks ago in Big Bear and grab a rabbit as I was walking my dog along the Bear Mountain Golf trail.

Wildlife is cool when your high on the food chain.

At Griffith Park, people don't realize that while you are high on the food chain.  Your unleashed dog is not.  My buddy used to work up there, and was always telling me how every week some owner would come up to them, and wanted them to do something about the coyote that just got breakfast on their unleashed dog. 

18 hours ago, gotbeer said:

At Griffith Park, people don't realize that while you are high on the food chain.  Your unleashed dog is not.  My buddy used to work up there, and was always telling me how every week some owner would come up to them, and wanted them to do something about the coyote that just got breakfast on their unleashed dog. 

Spot on.  My neighbor up the street was sitting on his 2nd floor deck reading the paper with his 8 lb. Chihuahua sitting no further than 10 feet away.

In an instant, an owl swooped down from one of the evergreen pines and took him.  Right from under his nose.

Unfortunately the owl lost his grip on the dog and dropped him from about 70 feet and the dog didn’t survive.  But I have always remembered that incident, especially when I have my dog out on walks.  Leash or not.  Have to watch out for these little guys.

IMG_1774.jpeg

Edited by PattyD22

25 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

I saw this beautiful owl in the tree a couple days ago.  He’s been in this tree a few times on our walks, so either it’s a great spot for fish, or he has a nest near by.

IMG_1609.jpeg

Odd he's out in the day.  Usually they are nocturnal.  I've been driving on the forest roads at night many of time, and have been buzzed by owls.  Love the sound of their wings as they fly by.