• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He had a partner that blew out his labrum so camera work is limited. So now he is going solo, which I think is kind of dumb. Cooking on the trail is great but a juicy steak smells pretty good to other carnivores out there. He really needs a partner in case of an accident. You've been up enough trails to know cell phones have spotty coverage. 

His production could use a lot more descriptive dialogue of his recipes, cooking technique, equipment chosen for whatever reason and even some background story about who he got this recipe from that brings the story to life. Too much dead air, not enough descriptive storyline. 

I'm going to see him tomorrow and relay your message about permits and being damn careful of restricted areas. Once the fire season starts he may have to shut it down. 

As for me joining? I have a MRI scheduled next Tuesday for a miniscus tear. No hiking any time soon. 

Make sure he gets a Garmin.  Garmin came out with a Garmin Mini 2 I think it is called satellite messenger (about $400).  Really small, really lightweight.  (If I could trade in my big garmin, I'd get it.)  I have the cheapest satellite plan available.  It's under $15 a month.  So really, if you do any kind of hiking, there is really no excuse of it's too expensive.  Whenever I go to the mountains, I always turn it on.  The mini 2 got a battery life jump of about a week (the original mini only lasted 24 hours, which is why I didn't get it at the time)  It'll work where there is no cell phone coverage, and their SOS feature is amazing in case you get in an emergency situation.  (I haven't needed it yet, knock on wood)  It also will sync up with your phone, so you can use a phone app to send a text message.   

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

New bike. Well I've had it about a month and it was filthy so I washed it and took a photo. Scott Spark 910:

20230511_143832.jpg

looks like it's going to be difficult to ride since the back wheel doesn't even reach the ground. good luck with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rough hike today, almost quit.  Mt. Baldy, but the shoes I wore tore my feet apart.  But it was beautiful.

Falls about 1/4 up from the trailhead.  Search and Rescue was repelling down it later in the day.

20230617_062641.jpg

A stream was running in one of the canyons that normally doesn't run.  

20230617_074603.jpg

Search and Rescue were doing training on the mountain.  They were also looking for people that went missing over the winter.  Kind of neat, but really killed the vibe of being on top of a mountain.

2 hours ago, Redondo said:

Yeah, I saw that.  Not even found by search and rescue.  Some hiker found him.  On top of that, I read a different article that said that 8 official searches, and 8 unofficial searches were done.  That definitely did not happen for any of the other missing people up in the mountains over the last few years.  Depending on the conditions, I can see going a week.  But in the actors case, going more than a few days not only put a lot of people at risk, but was just recovery and not rescue.

On 6/25/2023 at 11:25 AM, gotbeer said:

Yeah, I saw that.  Not even found by search and rescue.  Some hiker found him.  On top of that, I read a different article that said that 8 official searches, and 8 unofficial searches were done.  That definitely did not happen for any of the other missing people up in the mountains over the last few years.  Depending on the conditions, I can see going a week.  But in the actors case, going more than a few days not only put a lot of people at risk, but was just recovery and not rescue.

In all honesty, @gotbeer, the dude was hiking in JANUARY, during one of the most epic winters we’ve had on record.  The winter snow melt has finally given people (search crews and random hikers) the opportunity to go up there and look.

But I’m with you.  How an “experienced” hiker thought it was a wise decision to go out and hike Baldy In January is beyond me.  Our hiking trails in Big Bear just became passable about a month or so ago.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, katie said:

I can’t believe I grew up in Claremont and have never been. 

I didn’t even know they existed. 

Descanso Gardens is pretty nice place to go. Your daughter would enjoy it a lot, especially around Christmas. 

Mountain biker dies after helping save dehydrated hikers in Jacumba

The hikers did not have food or water, according to Cal Fire spokesperson Mike Cornett.

Does not surprise me one bit.  I hiked Griffith early morning on Sunday.  It's not that long of a hike to the top.  I clocked around 4 1/2 miles roundtrip.  Yet I would say 50% of the hikers did not bring any water.  When I was finishing up, and it was warming up at 7:30 am, I would say that number was 75% of the hikers that I saw just starting out without water.  Darwin will have lot's of awards to give out this summer.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Mountain biker dies after helping save dehydrated hikers in Jacumba

Does not surprise me one bit.  I hiked Griffith early morning on Sunday.  It's not that long of a hike to the top.  I clocked around 4 1/2 miles roundtrip.  Yet I would say 50% of the hikers did not bring any water.  When I was finishing up, and it was warming up at 7:30 am, I would say that number was 75% of the hikers that I saw just starting out without water.  Darwin will have lot's of awards to give out this summer.

Rule of thumb is that you take water every time you go on a hike, especially in the summer

Longer the hike, the more water

I thought it was common sense

What makes people think they don't need water?

In the summer the earlier the better to start your hike

20 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Rule of thumb is that you take water every time you go on a hike, especially in the summer

Longer the hike, the more water

I thought it was common sense

What makes people think they don't need water?

In the summer the earlier the better to start your hike

I think people think, it's only a short hike, it's like walking around the neighborhood.  It doesn't even dawn on them that it's like a 2k elevation gain in 2 miles.  All they see is the observatory or the top of the hill and think no problem.  The worst is when these hikers with no water, are hiking with a dog.  Those people, I just want to push off the side of the mountain.