• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Takeout "slides" at homeplate

angelduck

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't ban it, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch. 

You've got a 200 pound person running at full speed towards a person who's standing still and vulnerable to being blindsided.

People can keep saying it's part of the game, but it just doesn't seem right. 

So it is ok for a player on the defense to obstruct the runner from safely reaching a base?

You can't ban it, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch. 

You've got a 200 pound person running at full speed towards a person who's standing still and vulnerable to being blindsided.

People can keep saying it's part of the game, but it just doesn't seem right. 

the catcher is free to move out of the way

That's some groundbreaking analysis there, Lou. 

Of course the defense is allowed to block the base, the issue is that most runners aren't even going for the base, they're just mowing down vulnerable catchers at full speed by putting their shoulders into their heads.

Not the most admirable moments of those players' careers, that's for sure. 

So you guys are fine with having careers be potentially ruined by scumbags like Pete Rose? That's pretty ****ed up. Cost the Giants the 2011 season

You young whipper snappers never got to see one of the most intense players in baseball ever to play the game. I think a little appreciation for Pete Rose is not asking to much. Guys like Rose and Erstad is what makes baseball exciting to watch.

Now go back to your vidoe game and sabermetrics book and have a nice day.

Lol @ this thread because we all know Iannetta is a softy. The Pete Rose / Ray Fosse collision was one of the greatest plays in the history of baseball. Let's not forget the perfect throws that are required to make these plays happen. Shall we eliminate all outfield assists and hard slides at second base to.

That's some groundbreaking analysis there, Lou. 

Of course the defense is allowed to block the base, the issue is that most runners aren't even going for the base, they're just mowing down vulnerable catchers at full speed by putting their shoulders into their heads.

Not the most admirable moments of those players' careers, that's for sure. 

I agree that they are allowed to block the plate.  That's a decision they have to make.  How many plays in, let's say the last 5 years, has a runner "mowed down a vulnerable catcher at full speed by putting their shoulders into their heads"?

Admirable? I dont' think it takes away anything from a player who runs into a catcher who's blocking the plate.

I'd say a catcher standing there, sometimes without the ball, knowing that there's a runner coming at him trying to score knows exactly what he's gotten himself into by trying to block the plate.

No. Part of the reason I've stopped watching the NFL so much is the banning of hits on defenseless receivers going up the middle. If you don't want your receiver getting hit don't send him over the middle with a high throw. Same thing for catchers. You don't want your catcher getting run over don't have him block the plate.

Throughout little league I was a catcher but I had to quit when I got to high school. I entered high school at about 5 feet 90 lbs. I wasn't going to let someone have home if I played catcher and I was going to get killed. I wouldn't want someone not doing anything they can to score a run if they have a shot. Could you imagine the winning run in a World Series being disallowed because a guy runs over the catcher or "takeout slides" him? I would be outraged.

No. Part of the reason I've stopped watching the NFL so much is the banning of hits on defenseless receivers going up the middle. If you don't want your receiver getting hit don't send him over the middle with a high throw. Same thing for catchers. You don't want your catcher getting run over don't have him block the plate.

Throughout little league I was a catcher but I had to quit when I got to high school. I entered high school at about 5 feet 90 lbs. I wasn't going to let someone have home if I played catcher and I was going to get killed. I wouldn't want someone not doing anything they can to score a run if they have a shot. Could you imagine the winning run in a World Series being disallowed because a guy runs over the catcher or "takeout slides" him? I would be outraged.

Best argument yet.

I can buy these arguments. If a catcher is blocking the plate to the point that the base runner can't get around in a reasonable amount of time then he should be able to run him over. But if he's in a position where the runner can get to the plate by simply sliding feet first, then it should be a 5 game suspension without pay IMO if he runs him over.

why should the runner be at a disadvantage by taking two extra steps in order to get around a catcher?  If the catcher is blocking the plate, run the sob over!  This seems like another example of the woosification of america.  We don't want anyone hurt, but hell, if the guy wants to block the plate...it should be fair game.

They brought this up on MLB Network this morning.

Dave Valle, Matheny and Bochy have all said that they need to abolish this play. It sounds like they're trying to push Joe Torre to make a move to get rid of this.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with them. While it takes an exciting aspect away from the game, it keeps catchers safe. I don't think it's fair to catchers who are in vulnerable positions and the runner absolutely obliterates them.