• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Exploring an Angels-Giancarlo Stanton trade

I think Stanton is absolutely IDEAL for this team right now.

Look at it this way, we have the current AAV of his contract coming off the books this offseason, and given the nature of free agency of late, it's not like we are going to spend that money on anything worthwhile anyway. Would we rather have Yu Darvish?

Stanton's contract is long, but he'll probably opt out anyway because as a free agent he is likely to get a bit more money per season. He is a SoCal guy also so I could see a scenario play out where we actually keep him long term at a rate a little below market value, kind of like with Vlad and Weaver.

1 hour ago, Brent Maguire said:

Another thing to think about is the potential market for Stanton. Take a look at the big market teams who may have a case for Stanton.

Yankees: Their outfield consists of Judge, Gardner, Hicks and Ellsbury with Clint Frazier in the wings. They also seem more likely to sign Harper in a few years.

Red Sox: They have one of the best outfields groups in baseball. Betts, JBJ and Benintendi is a superb group and they're all under control for a while.

Dodgers: They could hypothetically make a deal for Stanton but they have plenty of outfield depth. Pederson, Puig and Taylor is a nice group and they have a top prospect in Alex Verdugo close. Bellinger/Hernandez can also handle the outfield.

Mets: Cespedes and Conforto pair up as a very good corner outfield duo but they really need a legit player to stick in center field. Stanton doesn't fit.

Nationals: One of the rumored teams interested. Eaton is good and under contract. Harper is under control one more year. Victor Robles is their top prospect who could be ready next year. Nats make sense if they believe Harper will 100% walk but they do have depth in their group.

Giants: Another interested team. They're one of the worst teams in baseball this year, have an average-ish farm system and aren't generally chasing power hitters. 

Astros: This is the darkhorse team for me. They've been ridiculed for not making that one big move to solidify their roster. Springer and Reddick will man 2 outfield spots but they could use a guy in LF and use Stanton at DH sparingly. That short porch in left field would make Stanton a monster. They have the financial space to fit him in and some blue chip prospects to send to Miami.

Rangers: Another potential darkhorse. They need another legit MOTO hitter and they have the payroll/prospects to make this work.

Quite frankly, after looking at these teams, it seems like Stanton could easily land in the AL West. The usual teams don't have much of a need for Stanton currently. 

I think as of now, if he is moved, the yankees make the most sense. And i hate when people say that, because it sounds lazy.

But they have the money. The have the farm where they can move guys to miami. They also have a farm where cheaper talent can be brought up to supplant the expensive contract.

You see the hype for judge. MLB would love to get a bonafide star in pinstripes (and stanton would crush there).

I wouldnt write off the dodgers, even though they dont "need" him. Dipoto tried to trade for stanton once, dont know if seattle can afford him though. White sox i can see, also (though who knows if stanton will agree to any of these places)

3 hours ago, DMVol said:

Justin Upton for one....

Which will be a total letdown after the stanton boner. No knock on upton, just that it wouldnt be a stanton caliber pick up.

It really comes down to what arte has in mind. Is he aiming for rhe 2018 FA class like so many others? If not at minimum sign moustakas or someone whos available this winter.

My response to the question was based on my knowledge of the Angels situation, not anyone actually telling me they aren't getting him.

I just can't imagine the Angels taking on a contract of that size, especially since they're already going to be paying Pujols so much while he's declining. 

And the only way to get the Marlins to eat a lot of the contract is to pony up a lot of good prospects, which the Angels don't have. 

It just doesn't make sense to me. 

@Jeff Fletcher, totally agree.

That said, and im not sure if you have any insider info on the situation, but is miami at all saying they would take lesser prospects if the other team took most or all of the contract? Thats the only way i could see the angels being a player. And even then...other teams will be willing to do the same, with better prospects.

I honestly think stanton isnt going anywhere, but we can dream

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

@Jeff Fletcher, totally agree.

That said, and im not sure if you have any insider info on the situation, but is miami at all saying they would take lesser prospects if the other team took most or all of the contract? Thats the only way i could see the angels being a player. And even then...other teams will be willing to do the same, with better prospects.

I honestly think stanton isnt going anywhere, but we can dream

That's how all these deals work with big contracts. It's a sliding scale: the better prospects you give up, the less money you have to take, and vice versa. 

In this case, I don't think the Angels have enough of either for a player of this caliber/salary. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That's how all these deals work with big contracts. It's a sliding scale: the better prospects you give up, the less money you have to take, and vice versa. 

In this case, I don't think the Angels have enough of either for a player of this caliber/salary. 

From your knowledge, is miami even trying to move him? Regardless of their attendance, i dont think they cant afford him. I think them trading him would be more about prospects, not a salary dump (which we're all hoping for here)

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

From your knowledge, is miami even trying to move him? Regardless of their attendance, i dont think they cant afford him. I think them trading him would be more about prospects, not a salary dump (which we're all hoping for here)

I only know what I read about the Marlins.

But it makes sense that if a team isn't good and is about to have new owners, they'd like to start fresh with either a bunch of new prospects or a bunch of freed up cash.

I don't know which they'd prefer, but either is helpful. I can't imagine a team insisting on one direction or the other because that limits the deals you can make. 

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I would imagine the new owners would prefer they kept him, to retain the 19K a night fanbase at least. I just figure the only way theyre moving him is if they are blown away with a package that instantly makes them contenders.

Winning is what draws fans. 

The 2 ways they can win more are to get better young players or to be able to reallocate Stanton's cash to multiple veteran players.

Either way can work, assuming you make decisions of course on the players you pick.

7 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Yeah I'm already assuming that Machado ends up in Miami and Harper ends up in Baltimore

It would be a lot harder (if not impossible) for the Marlins to afford Machado if they also have Stanton. Just like it would be a lot harder (if not impossible) for the Angels to re-sign Trout if they are paying the bulk of Stanton's contract (which is the only way they can get him, since they don't have enough prospects). Not to mention that Pujols' contract, which is bigger and longer than Trout's, isn't going anywhere. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It would be a lot harder (if not impossible) for the Marlins to afford Machado if they also have Stanton. Just like it would be a lot harder (if not impossible) for the Angels to re-sign Trout if they are paying the bulk of Stanton's contract (which is the only way they can get him, since they don't have enough prospects). Not to mention that Pujols' contract, which is bigger and longer than Trout's, isn't going anywhere. 

I'm not seeing Stanton as an Angel but I could see him moving somewhere this winter. It would be a nice PR thing for the Marlins to get the local boy Machado but yeah, Stanton has to move first

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am so tired of hearing what the Angels cannot afford.

They can afford Stanton and Trout and Pujols and other players and they can afford to pay a luxury tax for a few years.

Choosing to not go over the lux tax is not the same as not being able to afford players.

Agreed. And, they can add Stanton to the current payroll without going over the luxury tax. Whether they want to or not is a separate question, as is whether it makes baseball sense to do so. Marketing Trout and Stanton together should be a no-brainer, so, if they want to make the move, and if it makes baseball sense, they can do the deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Giants, Rangers, Phillies, and Cardinals have called the Marlins about acquiring slugger Giancarlo Stanton.

A high-ranking Marlins executive told Nightengale that the Giants have expressed the strongest amount of interest, though they have the weakest farm system of the four named teams. Other clubs will surely get involved as this becomes the biggest story of the winter. Stanton, who hit his 50th home run of the season on Sunday, is owed around $290 million on a mega-contract that runs through 2027 (with a $25 million team option for 2028).
Source: USA Today

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Giants, Rangers, Phillies, and Cardinals have called the Marlins about acquiring slugger Giancarlo Stanton.

A high-ranking Marlins executive told Nightengale that the Giants have expressed the strongest amount of interest, though they have the weakest farm system of the four named teams. Other clubs will surely get involved as this becomes the biggest story of the winter. Stanton, who hit his 50th home run of the season on Sunday, is owed around $290 million on a mega-contract that runs through 2027 (with a $25 million team option for 2028).
Source: USA Today

So we werent involved at all?  or at least never made a call?   why am i not even slightly surprised. 

I think it's silly that fans here actually thought the Angels were going to trade for him. For years now, Arte has clearly shown that he's been burned by big contracts and that he's not interested in winning a World Series.  Yeah I know, Stanton is 27 but he still is owed a lot of money and again, Moreno only cares about drawing 3 million fans.  With the current regime we have going, I do not think the Angels will win a World Series.

24 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I think it's silly that fans here actually thought the Angels were going to trade for him. For years now, Arte has clearly shown that he's been burned by big contracts and that he's not interested in winning a World Series.  Yeah I know, Stanton is 27 but he still is owed a lot of money and again, Moreno only cares about drawing 3 million fans.  With the current regime we have going, I do not think the Angels will win a World Series.

1). Arte has been burned by some contracts.  The spending stopped when they were at the lux tax limit.  This offseason they will have lots of room.  Concluding he won't spend when he has room beneath the lux tax is 100% speculative with zero evidence to support it.

2). Saying the owner isn't interested in winning a WS instantly discredits anything you say.  There is literally no reason to think this.

3). Thinking Arte only cares about drawing 3 million in physical attendance dates your understanding of baseball revenues and economics.

4). Passing off Stanton's age as not a significant enough difference between his situation and giving new 10 year contracts to guys in their 30s is almost used car salesman stuff.

I conclude you hate Arte for no good reason, and this (somehow) is simply how you choose to be as a fan.

I think I just went 4 for 4.