• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m going to guess it’s Dale Mitchell and he is telling him where he thought the last pitch of his perfect game was.  

Good guess! Absolutely right.

That was Mitchell's last at-bat of his career. Ironic that it ended on a strikeout, as he was a great contact hitter. He struck out only 119 times in over 4,300 career plate appearances.

Just now, fan_since79 said:

Good guess! Absolutely right.

That was Mitchell's last at-bat of his career. Ironic that it ended on a strikeout, as he was a great contact hitter. He struck out only 119 times in over 4,300 career plate appearances.

I had to google who the last out was but I saw the video a few times yesterday after Don’s passing. I read that he checked his swing but the ump called it a strike.  

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I had to google who the last out was but I saw the video a few times yesterday after Don’s passing. I read that he checked his swing but the ump called it a strike.  

That was the final game behind home plate for long-time umpire Babe Pinelli, who retired after the Series.

That checked swing looks to me like it would be called a swinging strike in today's game. I'm not sure, but I think the rules were more favorable to the hitter back then.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

This man was a World Series hero for about 15 minutes. He passed away today at the age of 89.

His namesake played in a popular American sitcom in the 1960's.

543d4ec5ead05.image.jpg

Easy one,Hal Smith 3 run HR in the 8th to tie game 7 up.Bill Mazeroski would homer in the bottom of the ninth to win it.Otis Campbell was played by Hal Smith on the Andy Griffith show.

His nephew is Tim Flannery, who posted this tribute to his uncle on Twitter:

Today my hero and Uncle Hal Smith who gave me the gift of baseball and music passed on to the Spirit World. I grew up as a kid watching him win World Series and forging a great career in the game we both loved. He taught me so many things…

EN4ZJy0XkAIqXhx.jpg

16 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

This man was a World Series hero for about 15 minutes. He passed away today at the age of 89.

His namesake played in a popular American sitcom in the 1960's.

543d4ec5ead05.image.jpg

My high school biology teacher (and baseball card avatar here) George "Red" Witt pitched in relief in a couple of the Yankee blow out wins in this series. He also pitched for the 1962 Los Angeles Angels before calling it a day and going into teaching.