• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Carl Hubbell and Mel Ott?

Had to look it up to see how they were linked, besides the team they played for.   I knew the answers before looking them up. 

Both players were not only teammates but also close friends. 

They were linked in death too. Both men died on the same date, November 21st, thirty years apart, of injuries suffered in car accidents.

• 2 weeks later...

No clue but today I was trying to trace a catcher for a Newark team back in the '30's or 40's. One of my co-workers showed me a picture of his Grandfather and the only team in Newark that we could find were the Newark Bears, a Yankees affiliate. I did a search of all rosters and his name never popped up. 

What did was this guy. He played for the Newark Bears, the Yankees in 1921 for half a season then 3 years later for Philly for one season. He had a MLB career stat line of .316/.377/.453/.830 but spent 12 years in the minors. 

So, what is it that makes this player stand out from others?

Chicken_Hawks.jpeg

34 minutes ago, RBM said:

Wow. He and Babe Ruth missed each other by a year. 

Halas was a highly regarded prospect who got off to a slow start in 1919 when the Yankees brought him up, partly due to a hip injury he had suffered in spring training sliding into third base. He left baseball behind and helped to found the NFL. The rest is history.