• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:10 AM, makepeac said:

My high school biology teacher (and baseball card avatar here) George "Red" Witt pitched in relief in a couple of the Yankee blow out wins in this series. He also pitched for the 1962 Los Angeles Angels before calling it a day and going into teaching.

Also my P.E. coach during my freshman year in HS

Side note, my HS also had a football coach with a famous name during my first two years there.    George Allen (no, not that one, as he was still coaching the Rams during my freshman HS year) 

Edited by Angel Oracle

• 2 weeks later...

File - In this June 12, 1939 file photo, these baseball stars were pictured as they attended the dedication and their induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. Front row; Eddie Collins, Babe Ruth, Connie Mack, Cy Young; Rear row left to right; Hans Wagner, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Tris Speaker, Napoleon Lajoie, George Sisler and Walter Johnson. (AP Photo/File)

In this June 12, 1939 file photo, these baseball stars were pictured as they attended the dedication and their induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. Front row; Eddie Collins, Babe Ruth, Connie Mack, Cy Young; Rear row left to right; Hans Wagner, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Tris Speaker, Napoleon Lajoie, George Sisler and Walter Johnson.

On this day, Jan. 29 …

1936: The first players are elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. - Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson and Walter Johnson.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/this-day-in-history-jan-29

The picture exceeds the size so the heads aren't showing. You can go to the link to see the entire picture.

Edited by Redondo

On 1/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, Redondo said:
  Hide contents

Groundskeeper George Toma and Harvey the Rabbit, icons in the history of Kansas City baseball.

Image result for harvey the rabbit baseball"

Yep the legendary groundskeeper Toma (who turned 91 this week).     Harvey the Rabbit delivered baseballs to the umpire by popping up through a trap door behind home plate....was moved along with the team to Oakland later.    I actually saw the Rabbit in action in Oakland when I was very young...still can picture it in my mind.  

• 3 weeks later...

In honor of George Washington, whose birthday is today.

February 22, 1936: In celebration of George Washington's 204th birthday, Walter Johnson hurls a silver dollar across the Rappahannock River, estimated to be a 386-foot toss. The spectacle—it took place near Washington's childhood home in Fredericksburg, Virginia—was one of several events staged by townspeople in celebration of all things Washington, especially the mythological tales of Parson Weems. Congressman Sol Bloom of New York, who donated a 1796 silver dollar for the occasion, declared the feat impossible, putting the odds at 20 to 1 against it. (The Chamber of Commerce wagered $5,000; Bloom refused to pay up, claiming that the river was wider in colonial times.) 

A few days before the event, the 48-year-old Johnson sent a lighthearted telegram to city leaders: "I am practicing with a dollar against my barn door. Arm getting stronger, barn door weaker." On February 20, The Associated Press reported: "Unable to wait until Saturday, when Walter Johnson tries his arm against the legendary prowess of George Washington . . . citizens are trying to settle the matter among themselves—but with iron washers, not silver coins. All tries have fallen short." 

After hearing exaggerated tales about the width of the Rappahannock, Johnson expressed doubts as to whether he could make good. Big Train's old battery-mate, Gabby Street, wasn't worried. "After working so closely for so many years with such a brilliant performer as Walter Johnson," he explained, "one is inclined to back him in any reasonable throwing feat he might undertake, even now." 

Despite the frigid conditions (27°F), around 4,000 people gathered along the snowy river bank on the morning of the 22nd. "It looks like a mile across," exclaimed Johnson, as he cast aside his overcoat. "The Big Train" took a moment to stretch his much-celebrated right arm before giving the all-clear to the photographers on hand. He was allowed two practice throws before being presented a third coin, inscribed with his name and the date, for the official attempt. Johnson's first toss fell short, splashing down six feet short of the bank (a man in a boat attempted to recover it); his second throw barely cleared the water. Determined to impress on his final attempt, he heaved the "pay dollar" across the river, some 20 feet onto the bank. Over 2,000 boisterous souvenir seekers scrambled for the prize. 

"Well, I guess I made it," Johnson sighed, sounding more relieved than triumphant. 

It was official, Washington's seemingly apocryphal childhood feat was "possible," though silver dollars weren't minted until the time of his presidency. As for the much-coveted coin, it was recovered by a man named Peter Yon, who turned out to be quite a card. "What are you going to do with the dollar," asked a reporter. "I'm gonna put 'em in the bank," said Yon, smiling mischievously. "That's what the picture men said I should do. But if you ask me again, I should have to say: 'I cannot tell a lie, I'm gonna sell it to the highest bidder!' " 

✍️ Bobby King II . (from Facebook page, Baseball Americana)

WalterJohnsonFeb22.jpg

found this little tidbit in an L.A. Times article about Johnson's feat:

Amusingly, New York Yankees Hall of Fame first baseman, Lou Gehrig, then still an active player, made light of the event a day earlier. Gehrig stood on the shore of the Hudson River, at a point where the other side was 400 feet away. Gehrig had five silver dollars. He missed the shore on the first four before finally reaching the other side on his fifth dollar, ending up an estimated 30 feet inland on the other shore.

Hall of Famer, considered the premier shortstop of his era and one of the best all-time. His first name is actually a nickname inspired by the state where he was born.

Nine-time All-Star who hit .300 or better in each of his first ten seasons, all with the Pirates. Later, with the Dodgers, he clashed with Leo Durocher over the latter's suspension of popular pitcher Bobo Newsom, then left the team and quit baseball for three years. 

He died at the age of 40 in a boating accident while trying to save a friend who could not swim. Both men drowned.

AO and a couple others might know this one.

16e3da8d6f7f6504f7c9a1ac2ba085fd.jpg

• 2 months later...