• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Predict one player

1 hour ago, krAbs said:

No one major. My gut says that Moreno is too stubborn to admit that this season is done, and Eppler is too pragmatic to tank future seasons to try to recover this one. Maybe they make some minor minor deals, but nothing important.

This is pretty much what I think, except the part about Moreno having false hopes about the season. I think he's on board with just treading water this year and doing things in the off season. Not that he's had much success off-season acquisitions but, seriously, what would anyone want from our farm system that could return something that helps us beyond 2017?

My fervent hope is that we trade Escobar, and let Valbuena, Cowart and Cron play every day in the infield, till the season is over. These guys might really come around, if given the job, and they are controlled through next year.. If they dont, well, hell, we ain't going anywhere this year, anyway. Cron and Valbuena are really starting to look good and Cron's play at first has improved significantly. Cowart is the bigger question mark, but he cant be any worse than what we've had since the gold days of Howie. Well, except that Johnny G was actually pretty serviceable with the bat in 2015. We would take JGs numbers now, wouldnt we? 25 doubles, 5 triples, 4 HRs., 320 OBP, .272 average?

Edit: I stuck a phrase in the wrong place.

8 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

This is pretty much what I think, except the part about Moreno having false hopes about the season. I think he's on board with just treading water this year and doing things in the off season, and they are controlled through next year. Not that he's had much success off-season acquisitions but, seriously, what would anyone want from our farm system that could return something that helps us beyond 2017?

My fervent hope is that we trade Escobar, and let Valbuena, Cowart and Cron play every day in the infield, till the season is over. These guys might really come around, if given the job. If they dont, well, hell, we ain't going anywhere this year, anyway. Cron and Valbuena are really starting to look good and Cron's play at first has improved significantly. Cowart is the bigger question mark, but he cant be any worse than what we've had since the gold days of Howie. Well, except that Johnny G was actually pretty serviceable with the bat in 2015. We would take JGs numbers now, wouldnt we? 25 doubles, 5 triples, 4 HRs., 320 OBP, .272 average?

Thanks for the pep talk Lou Brown!!!

56 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Fletcher said that one was dead....we'll see I guess....

Yeah it definitely was. I just know that the Phillies have some middle infield prospects that are pretty good and will be ready to compete all within a short time of one another. They'll want to clear a space for them while also getting prospect to help in the long term, or young major leaguers that can help in their window of contention. 

Last I heard, the Phillies wanted Skaggs for Hernandez. I wouldn't do that deal on the surface because Skaggs' upside is higher and he can help the Angels compete. Having said that, I think we might see a larger deal where the Angels get Hernandez and Hererra for LF.

That'll probably cost us Skaggs and Hermosillo+ another or something but I can see Eppler getting his offseason shopping out of the way nice and early.

I do not think we have the pieces to get anything of substance and even if we did should we?   I dont see a lot of reason to send out a lot of prospects casue i dont think we are one guy away from a post season run.  Only options i see are taking on cash dumps, which is still under that stigma of spending that i think the FO is genuinely terrified of right now. 

I think Gordon might be semi realistic if we assume the deal and i dont think its a bad deal so i would be willing to do so, but aside from that, i think we are what we are for the duration.

I mean we could perhaps go get Elsbury from the Yanks if we want to take on that contract but would you?  i dont.  Then again they are supposedly trading him for a front line starter according the the media cause that makes sense, lol  

Too much uncertainly around guys like Maybin/Escobar.  FO needs to decide now if we are not keeping them then trade them and get something. 

Norris may have had value before Monday night, but he obliterated that in less than 10 minutes. 

a decision needs to be made, buyers or sellers, and act accordingly .

2 hours ago, krAbs said:

No one major. My gut says that Moreno is too stubborn to admit that this season is done, and Eppler is too pragmatic to tank future seasons to try to recover this one. Maybe they make some minor minor deals, but nothing important.

I think we are trending towards nothing special -- it's been a weird weird trade deadline so far.   I think the Tigers really shot everyone in the knee when they sold low on Martinez or maybe teams finally have figured out that the most valuable commodity in MLB is young talent...  

Once the deadline passes the best they can hope for is for all the injured SPs to come up pitch well and prove healthy....   That and good performances from young players...   

Play Trout everyday..   Play Simmons everyday...  Play Cron everyday...   Play Cowart everyday...    Call up Perez and have him DH if they need to but just get him at bats -- let him prove he's more than a SLC creation..  whats the worse thing that could happen?  he ups his trade value?   Sit AP -- tell him to get in the weightless pool and lose weight and get healthier... if he needs to be romanced, tell him he's too important a part of their future to have him risk further injury in a lost season.. Whatever..  I don't want another story about his needing another surgery.   Call up Cesar Puello -- throw him into LF and play him everyday...   Neither Revere nor Maybin need any help in obtaining their next contracts -- they are known quantities, Puello is not..  so let's see if he's viable even if it's just as a 4th OFer...

I'll throw out some names I think are possible: Brad Miller, Ildemaro Vargas, Cesar Hernandez, Mark Zagunis, Brandon Belt, Dee Gordon, Daniel Norris, Chance Sisco, Francisco Mejia, Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins, Jonathan Villar, Joe Panik, Chih-Wei Hu, Yonny Chirinos, Michael Chavis, Mauricio Dubon, Ryan McMahon, and Tony Kemp among many. To be clear it will probably be only one, maybe two of these names if we are buyers. If we are sellers it may be 2-4 names we acquire (speaking in general terms).

If I had to put money down I'd say Yonny Chirinos is probably the best bet at this moment in time.

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

I'll throw out some names I think are possible: Brad Miller, Ildemaro Vargas, Cesar Hernandez, Mark Zagunis, Brandon Belt, Dee Gordon, Daniel Norris, Chance Sisco, Francisco Mejia, Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins, Jonathan Villar, Joe Panik, Chih-Wei Hu, Yonny Chirinos, Michael Chavis, Mauricio Dubon, Ryan McMahon, and Tony Kemp among many. To be clear it will probably be only one, maybe two of these names if we are buyers. If we are sellers it may be 2-4 names we acquire (speaking in general terms).

If I had to put money down I'd say Yonny Chirinos is probably the best bet at this moment in time.

I was going to say all of them. 

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think we are trending towards nothing special -- it's been a weird weird trade deadline so far.   I think the Tigers really shot everyone in the knee when they sold low on Martinez or maybe teams finally have figured out that the most valuable commodity in MLB is young talent...  

Once the deadline passes the best they can hope for is for all the injured SPs to come up pitch well and prove healthy....   That and good performances from young players...   

Play Trout everyday..   Play Simmons everyday...  Play Cron everyday...   Play Cowart everyday...    Call up Perez and have him DH if they need to but just get him at bats -- let him prove he's more than a SLC creation..  whats the worse thing that could happen?  he ups his trade value?   Sit AP -- tell him to get in the weightless pool and lose weight and get healthier... if he needs to be romanced, tell him he's too important a part of their future to have him risk further injury in a lost season.. Whatever..  I don't want another story about his needing another surgery.   Call up Cesar Puello -- throw him into LF and play him everyday...   Neither Revere nor Maybin need any help in obtaining their next contracts -- they are known quantities, Puello is not..  so let's see if he's viable even if it's just as a 4th OFer...

It's not the Tigers it's the current economics I think IP.

You have Division leaders who are doing so well that the additions they need to make are very specialized (Quintana, a SP, to the Cubs for instance) which is creating less demand on the sell side. To top it off the Wild Card in the National League is not very competitive which is limiting how many buyers there are. On the flip side the American League is wide open for the Wild Card but many of those teams are still deciding whether they should go for it or not and is it worth it?

Because of the limited Buyer's market, seller's, particularly at certain positions (such as OF), are finding it more difficult to sell their rental pieces. Many A.L. team are waiting right up to the last minute to see if they can get the prices low enough on rentals to spend less to make a run at it.

Basically if some of these Division leaders weren't so strong and there were more Wild Card contenders in the N.L. this market would have been cooking by now. Now we're just stuck leading up to the deadline. Eppler is probably waiting as long as he can in deciding if the prices are low enough for him to commit the Angels to a course of action. I think he wants to buy but he knows that our chances aren't terribly great so if it costs too much he will give up the chase. It is made even tougher by the fact that we really should buy long-term assets not pure rentals. Difficult spot.