• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Cron was projected to be a star-what happened

ghoetke

15 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I projected CJ to hit .280 with 25 HR's in his peak years, and my outlook was more optimistic than most. .280 and 25 HR's would make him about league average among 1B. 

Not sure who thought he'd be a star.

He might at some point do that for his "career year."  The problem would not be with that year.  The problem is what you have to get through to finally get that year.

I am not very excited to have to breathe through five years of bench player level production to be paid back by a .280/25 hr year.

You let guys like this toil with the Padres until maybe they look good enough and then maybe take a look.

I know the Angels don't have a lot of choices right now so I get why he is here.  But I would hope the long term goal would be to have either a much more productive, established hitter playing first, or a younger guy with way, way more upside than Cron.

1 hour ago, ghoetke said:

Sorry if this has been covered before,.Everyone thought CJ would be a superstar.  He's been sent down to SLC several times even as a veteran to find himself again.

Is it a confidence problem; was he overrated; other ??

I dont think I ever heard anyone say he would be a superstar...   Are you talking about these board or BBA?   Because honestly, there were always questions about him -- the one thing that was said and has never happened -- it was believed he was going to be a good OBP guy...  and Nope....

55 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I projected CJ to hit .280 with 25 HR's in his peak years, and my outlook was more optimistic than most. .280 and 25 HR's would make him about league average among 1B. 

Last year in 116 games he hit .278 with 16 HR. If he would have played 158 games there is every possibility he would have hit 25 HR. This year the powers that be thought it would be a good idea to platoon him against LHP even though he hit RHP better last season by .290 to .237.

7 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

I'm pretty sure Cron was never even on any major top 100 prospect list. He was never seen as a superstar but rather a "safe" prospect who should hit and offer little else. A safe floor, low ceiling prospect who could move through the system fast because he was a college player

The Angels selected Cron in the first round (17th overall) of the 2011 Major League Baseball Draft.[4] He made his professional debut that season with the Rookie-level Orem Owlz of the Pioneer League that year.[1]

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Former Ute C.J. Cron becoming a top prospect in MLB

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865594654/Former-Ute-CJ-Cron-becoming-a-top-prospect-in-MLB.html

From that article

Recently, mlb.com dubbed Cron the third-best first-baseman prospect for the upcoming year — right behind Houston prospect Jonathan Singleton and Mets up-and-comer Dominic Smith.

Singleton was unable to make the adjustment to MLB pitching in the Huston organization with two call ups, Dominic Smith has yet to get out of the minors.

Compared to those two, Cron is a superstar.

3 hours ago, ghoetke said:

Sorry if this has been covered before,.Everyone thought CJ would be a superstar.  He's been sent down to SLC several times even as a veteran to find himself again.

Is it a confidence problem; was he overrated; other ??

I never read anyone refer him as a superstar.  Solid major leaguer maybe but never a star.  Where did you get that from?

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Last year in 116 games he hit .278 with 16 HR. If he would have played 158 games there is every possibility he would have hit 25 HR. This year the powers that be thought it would be a good idea to platoon him against LHP even though he hit RHP better last season by .290 to .237.

The platoon idea was really stupid.  He never got the consistently ABs

it's not like cron has been a disaster, his first three years in the league his ops+ has been 111, 106, 115. that means adjusted to park that he was 11%, .06%, and 15% better than league average player. ops+ is park adjusted for combined obp and slugging percentage, so it's an excellent stat, better than WAR in my opinion. the problem with cron is twofold. firstly, this year his ops+ is 72. meaning he's been really bad this year. secondly, the angels offense is so goddamm bad that it can't tolerate another bad offensive addition. if you put cron on a good team, that needed a firstbasemen, then he'd likely do fine. he's not a carry the water type of player. unfortunately, the angels only have one man who can do that.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

it's not like cron has been a disaster, his first three years in the league his ops+ has been 111, 106, 115. that means adjusted to park that he was 11%, .06%, and 15% better than league average player. ops+ is park adjusted for combined obp and slugging percentage, so it's an excellent stat, better than WAR in my opinion. the problem with cron is twofold. firstly, this year his ops+ is 72.

Cron is a player that needs to every day to stay sharp. There are so few LHP, so Cron only got very limited AB (120+) before being recalled this last time. With Valbuena. and Marte, and Cron all competing for AB he was set up to fail from the get go. As far as defense goes this year he has proven to be an above average first baseman.

Since he hit that PH HR to win the game and has gotten to start 4 games in a row he has a six game hitting streak including 2 HR.

4 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Cron is a player that needs to every day to stay sharp. There are so few LHP, so Cron only got very limited AB (120+) before being recalled this last time. With Valbuena. and Marte, and Cron all competing for AB he was set up to fail from the get go. As far as defense goes this year he has proven to be an above average first baseman.

Since he hit that PH HR to win the game and has gotten to start 4 games in a row he has a six game hitting streak including 2 HR.

Some guys just need someone to show some confidence in them.

5 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

i had him hitting 330/480/950 with 45 stolen bases and about 100 BB each year.

i may have been off a little bit.