• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How bad has the offense been?

gurn67

I was thinking last night that it sure seemed like a long time since the Angels scored a lot of runs in a game. In fact, last night was the first time since June 24 that the Angels scored more than 5 runs in a game. How difficult is it to have an offense suck that bad? Well, maybe that's not so bad, there was the All-Star break and all. It's probably normal for a team to not score more than 5 runs in a game in almost a month. I decided to look up the other teams in the division and see how many times they had scored more than 5 runs in a game during that time.

Houston 12

Texas 6

Oakland 6

Seattle 5

Well, .maybe the other teams in the AL West have been hitting the last month so I decided to look up the worst of the worst. Somebody has to be somewhere near that magic ZERO the Angels put up. Right?

Worst team in the AL, the White Sox, 5 times

Worst team in the NL, the Phillies 5 times

Lowest scoring team in the AL, the Royals 6 times

Lowest scoring team in the NL, the Padres 6 times.

I guess I wasn't imagining things. This offense blows.

31 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

But our cleanup hitter has 605 home runs and 1,874 RBI!

It can't be all that bad!

What part of the entire lineup is awful don't you understand?  I mean seriously.  You're basically the love child of Clod and AnaheimBob. Let me know what lineup out of our collection of healthy players provide us an actual productive lineup.  Oh and before you go rainman and say platoon......platoon. 

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What part of the entire lineup is awful don't you understand?  I mean seriously.  You're basically the love child of Clod and AnaheimBob. Let me know what lineup out of our collection of healthy players provide us an actual productive lineup.  Oh and before you go rainman and say platoon......platoon. 

to be fair, i do think that the offense flows through the cleanup hitter. i consider it a swing position, but that's purely subjective and just my opinion. i do agree with the suggestion that pujols is killing this offense.

1 minute ago, ukyah said:

to be fair, i do think that the offense flows through the cleanup hitter. i consider it a swing position, but that's purely subjective and just my opinion. i do agree with the suggestion that pujols is killing this offense.

On this team the only better options are Escobar and Simmons.  Escobar is now leading off again.  So if you want to argue Simmons over Albert that's fine.  I just don't think it makes an actual difference over the course of a season.  

If only Meyer, Bridwell, Ramirez, and two or three from GRich/Skaggs/Shoe/Heaney/Tropeano could be counted on for next season, then the off-season focus could be on improving the lineup without sacrificing too much defense and baserunning.   Short term fixes for LF and 1B, and long term fixes for 2B and 3B (if Cowart not producing at the plate after re-call hopefully next week)

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

When you've had absolutely atrocious production from 1B and DH where most teams have their best hitters, you're bound to struggle to score runs.  

Left field has been Death Valley for years as well. Another spot in the lineup that is supposed to produce runs.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Dusty sure thought so.

Tells you more about Dusty than Pujols.

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

When you've had absolutely atrocious production from 1B and DH where most teams have their best hitters, you're bound to struggle to score runs.  

Do not forget 2B, right field and left field,

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Start with this:

Escobar 3B, Simmons SS, Trout CF, Cron 1B, Maldonado C, Pujols DH, Calhoun RF, Cowart 2B, Revere LF.

If Albert starts hitting again, switch him with Maldonado.

NO Valbuena. NO Pennington. They're bench players. Same with Robinson.

Edited by fan_since79

11 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Start with this:

Escobar 3B, Simmons SS, Trout CF, Cron 1B[6-4-3], Maldonado [6-4-3], C, Pujols DH [6-4-3], Calhoun RF, Cowart 2B, Revere LF.

If Albert starts hitting again, switch him with Maldonado.

NO Valbuena. NO Pennington. They're bench players. Same with Robinson.

I like the thought process F_S79! The only issue I see is the cloggers in the middle! 

We just can't fix it now! It sucks. But, truly ridiculous!!!

Hopefully, next season something like this:  Simmons SS, Calhoun RF, Trout CF, Moose 3B, AP#5 DH, Moreland 1B, Martinez LF, Maldonado C, Panek 2B

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Are you referring to JD Martinez? There is no way he would be batting 7th in that lineup.

6th or 7th.

You need flexibility and righty/lefty balance! Martinez is faster than Moreland so put him in the 6th hole! AP#5 is going no where and I even doubt the chances to move him out of the 4th spot even if we were to get a power Lefty like a Moose to hit behind Trout!

And he "Martinez" hit anywhere from 5th to 7th for the Tigers..He was even hitting 8th when he first came back this season... J$

3 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Left field has been Death Valley for years as well. Another spot in the lineup that is supposed to produce runs.

This season's LF has been below average, thought we were discussing this season, but you are correct.

3 hours ago, eligrba said:

Do not forget 2B, right field and left field,

2B absolutely, but most teams are not concerned about a 2B's bat.  Even for Espinosa, we expected a low .200 batting average and double digit HR's.  So while he did suck, I wasn't betting for him to produce.  Right and Left field, I wouldn't classify as atrocious, below average for sure.  1B and DH is where one of the team's best hitters should be.  Albert is producing like a below average middle infielder (.672) while this season's middle infielders' OPS have been around .735 and he's the DH where the average OPS is .752. Valbuena and Cron and whoever is playing 1B has been worse with a combined .627 OPS, where the average is .837!