• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What's the goal?

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Oh and it was a very good chance that proved him to be right. 

If Maybin falls off I won't call you ignorant because I just don't do that type of thing.

I hope then when the dust settles in 3-5 years they will have a sustainable contending team in place. I doubt that Maybin will be a part of that plan as he'll already be on the outbound bus long before that.

15 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

If Maybin falls off I won't call you ignorant because I just don't do that type of thing.

I hope then when the dust settles in 3-5 years they will have a sustainable contending team in place. I doubt that Maybin will be a part of that plan as he'll already be on the outbound bus long before that.

I also doubt he will be here in 3-5 years.  Does that mean you're advocating signing a free agent outfielder to a 6-7 year deal?  Bottom line is we need a left fielder next year and the following until our minor league guys are major league ready.  So why not sign a guy that can lead off, steal bases, plays a solid left field and seems to be a solid dude to a 2-3 year deal?  

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Eppler took a chance on last years Maybin. .315 / .383 / .418 / .801

When that guy shows up on a consistent basis I'll agree with you on the extension idea. But don't hold your breath. 

Really?   is that was he was shooting for?  It was .800 OPS or bust???  Did he tell you that?  Because what you refuse to accept but anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence is able to discern is that if he ends the season as a 3 WAR player he's been useful -- particularly at his price tag.

You're the only person here constantly whining about what he isn't instead of appreciating what he is.   A useful player -- nothing else.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I also doubt he will be here in 3-5 years.  Does that mean you're advocating signing a free agent outfielder to a 6-7 year deal?  Bottom line is we need a left fielder next year and the following until our minor league guys are major league ready.  So why not sign a guy that can lead off, steal bases, plays a solid left field and seems to be a solid dude to a 2-3 year deal?  

Ok so he's a fill in until the young guys are ready. I don't think it's necessary to overpay him to keep him. Let him play out his current deal and make him a one year deal and if he finds a better offer let him walk. If you give him a three year deal don't plan a parade.

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

Ok so he's a fill in until the young guys are ready. I don't think it's necessary to overpay him to keep him. Let him play out his current deal and make him a one year deal and if he finds a better offer let him walk. If you give him a three year deal don't plan a parade.

I'm trying to figure out how it's an over pay when he's productive.  I'm also curious if there's a single left fielder out there where we would plan a parade.  Signing the guy simply cost Arte money.  Doesn't cost us prospects, money, that's it.  There's really no opportunity cost involved either.  He's not blocking anyone, he won't prevent us signing someone else.  So you'd be ok signing Melky or Rasmus to hang out a few years but not Maybin.  Strange.

On 7/11/2017 at 11:30 AM, CALZONE said:

Strad all i'm saying is that we could probably do better than Maybin. If Arte wants to spend than I would like to see Hosmer and Moustakas. Melky, Rasmus or Martinez would also be some good options. We need some guys that can hammer the ball. We have a pop gun lineup that even the juiced baseballs can't fix.

Rasmus is "stepping away from baseball".  

I wonder if everything is ok.  Hope so, he's a solid player.  

On 7/11/2017 at 11:30 AM, CALZONE said:

Strad all i'm saying is that we could probably do better than Maybin. If Arte wants to spend than I would like to see Hosmer and Moustakas. Melky, Rasmus or Martinez would also be some good options. We need some guys that can hammer the ball. We have a pop gun lineup that even the juiced baseballs can't fix.

While i agree with this, the reality is that even if were ready to offer the most, those guys might not be available.

I wanted upton bad a few years ago. Most on the board wanted heyward. Cespedes got a lot of votes on here, too. Those guys were huge commitments...with mixed results. We would have been better to have grabbed one (but would still have holes elsewhere).

That said, maybin is a hell of a lot better than the alternative...what proceeded him.

Hes not a star, has lots of flaws. But hes also got positives. And we got him pretty cheap.

To do better than him, we'll have to move better prospects or spend huge. Im ok with either...but im not aware of any sure thing available FA outfielders, and doubt we have the farm to trade for one.

Maybin is very good value for the position were in.

On 7/11/2017 at 0:39 PM, CanadianHalo said:

Who the hell is talking about Alex Gordon?

Dee Gordon. Yes.

We need a leadoff hitter at 2nd. So it opens up the ability to add a big bat in the outfield.

Speaking of Alex Gordon, if I recall you were in the massive group that had him ranked behind Heyward at number 2 in options they'd like in LF with Upton and Cespedes 3 & 4... the majority of you would've put the final nail in the Halos coffin if you guys had any control that off-season.

To be fair, several people in the industry i asked specific to this told me i was an idiot for wanting upton, and didnt hesitate to say the angels needed to sign gordon.

I vividly remember talking to a guy who told me that, and i disagreed and called him dumb...he turned to 3 other guys we were with (all 4 of these guys known names) and one by one they all said gordon and laighed when i said i wanted upton.