• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What's the goal?

16 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Meh. I see it as "draft pick comp vs trade prospect value". I dont think maybon or norris get us a first round draft comp pick, but at least trading them for an average prospect is more valuable.

You do bring up a good point.   I guess it comes down to can the current players plus Trout and MAYBE Skaggs and Shoe take the team into late September still in the 2nd WC race, vs getting what we can for especially the FA-to-be relievers who figure to get good offers from other teams in the off-season. 

30 minutes ago, DMVol said:

At .275, there were a lot of calls for that.... At .245, not so much.... 

Since moving to the lead off spot he's batting .292/.379/.481/.860 with 5 HRs and 16 SBs 

We've been looking for a LF and leadoff hitter for what, a decade? Well, we have one now. Why not try to keep him? 

52 minutes ago, Lou said:

Since moving to the lead off spot he's batting .292/.379/.481/.860 with 5 HRs and 16 SBs We've been looking for a LF and leadoff hitter for what, a decade? Well, we have one now. Why not try to keep him?

I'm not oppposed....and I'm not downplaying the leadoff number but the (perhaps) more revealing number is that he seems to have reverted close to his career norm in BA (.258) as opposed to last year in Detroit (.315)....

The issue that makes it nearly impossible to come up with an agreeable plan at the trade deadline is the inability to predict the health of the pitching staff for next year.

With a healthy Richards, Skaggs, Shoe, Heaney, and Tropeano, the Angels probably have the first wild card spot right now, even with the anemic offense.

This is why the Angels can not do anything dramatic. Too many unknown going into next year.

However, I would concentrate on removing players that are nearly certain to have virtually no impact on the future of the club, and trading them for lower regarded prospects.

Going forward, I doubt that Espinoza, Valbuena, Chavez or Nolasco will have any impact on the future, so there is nothing to lose by trading them for prospects that might never see the ML field.

If all injured starters come back productive, then you keep Maybin for two or three years, and you keep Norris and Escobar. 

If they do not come back healthy, then you trade Norris, Escobar, and Maybin for some good prospects and concentrate on the longer term future.

We just don't know what will happen with these pitchers. therefore, you don't do much, just get fringe prospects for Espinoza, Valbuena. Nolasco. and Chavez.

16 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

The issue that makes it nearly impossible to come up with an agreeable plan at the trade deadline is the inability to predict the health of the pitching staff for next year.

With a healthy Richards, Skaggs, Shoe, Heaney, and Tropeano, the Angels probably have the first wild card spot right now, even with the anemic offense.

This is why the Angels can not do anything dramatic. Too many unknown going into next year.

However, I would concentrate on removing players that are nearly certain to have virtually no impact on the future of the club, and trading them for lower regarded prospects.

Going forward, I doubt that Espinoza, Valbuena, Chavez or Nolasco will have any impact on the future, so there is nothing to lose by trading them for prospects that might never see the ML field.

If all injured starters come back productive, then you keep Maybin for two or three years, and you keep Norris and Escobar. 

If they do not come back healthy, then you trade Norris, Escobar, and Maybin for some good prospects and concentrate on the longer term future.

We just don't know what will happen with these pitchers. therefore, you don't do much, just get fringe prospects for Espinoza, Valbuena. Nolasco. and Chavez.

Agree.  Although I think I'd move Maybin, Norris, and Escobar regardless.  But I know they won't.  I just think their odds of getting the 2nd WC slot are very slim and even if you do, you've added one game to your season.  

I also think I would keep Valbuena for now.  He's having an off year after three consecutive solid season and has some decent positional flexibility.  He's also fairly cheap by baseball standards.  Still think he could turn things around.  

42 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I'm not oppposed....and I'm downplaying the leadoff number but the (perhaps) more revealing number is that he seems to have reverted close to his career norm in BA (.258) as opposed to last year in Detroit (.315)....

But that's still because of the first month or so of the season. 

Ok, so we trade Maybin. Now we need to acquire a player(s) who can play LF and bat leadoff. 

I've watched this movie for the last decade. Care to know how it ends? I'll give you a hint . . . 

image.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Agree.  Although I think I'd move Maybin, Norris, and Escobar regardless.  But I know they won't.  I just think their odds of getting the 2nd WC slot are very slim and even if you do, you've added one game to your season.  

I also think I would keep Valbuena for now.  He's having an off year after three consecutive solid season and has some decent positional flexibility.  He's also fairly cheap by baseball standards.  Still think he could turn things around.  

I am not a huge fan of Maybin; I just don't know what other options there are in LF if he is gone.

I think that Valbuena's career average is around .230. so I would like to see if Cron can do better if given a decent chance to develop any rhythm.

Since he is flexible, maybe the Angels could get a couple B grade prospects for him.  I was thinking more of grade C prospects. however.

25 minutes ago, Lou said:

Ok, so we trade Maybin. Now we need to acquire a player(s) who can play LF and bat leadoff. 

I've watched this movie for the last decade. Care to know how it ends? I'll give you a hint . . . 

image.jpeg

I'm digging the old style late 1960s baseball card look.

16 minutes ago, Lou said:

image.jpeg

Maybin in his last 24 games.

.219 / .283 / .365 / .648 

26 minutes ago, Lou said:

It hasn't been pretty since GA left....but Maybin at .245 is 20 points below what we got in a half season from David Murphy in 2015....so you can make stats say anything....I like Maybin, I'd like to see him hit .275 as a leadoff hitter with speed for a full season but I can't ignore where he is at the half way point....it's not like we've hit the jackpot.....I'd look at a 2 year deal.....but no more than that.....I'd take my chances on the FA market or a trade if he wants 3 years....

12 minutes ago, DMVol said:

It hasn't been pretty since GA left....but Maybin at .245 is 20 points below what we got in a half season from David Murphy in 2015....so you can make stats say anything....I like Maybin, I'd like to see him hit .275 as a leadoff hitter with speed for a full season but I can't ignore where he is at the half way point....it's not like we've hit the jackpot.....I'd look at a 2 year deal.....but no more than that.....I'd take my chances on the FA market or a trade if he wants 3 years....

Again, everything changed once he was moved to the leadoff spot. 

As far as a wild card spot is concerned, I would be amazed and thrilled if we sneaked in there this year. I don't think there's a 1% chance of that happening, but it would be a strange and wonderful thing.

As far as 2018 is concerned, the goal for me is to have our pitchers last more than one or two starts before suffering a twinge or a cramp and disappearing for months or even years.

Also to have our hitters figure out how to actually hit a baseball.

Those things would be nice.