• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

So after the 2018 season ends, what happens next?

Kevin

We talk a lot about Trout and 2020 or when the Angels will be competitive again but what happens after the 2018 season ends?

All jokes aside about another ten year extension, will Mike be given another contract? Will he finally move on? If so, who would you like to replace him? I'm not sure who will even be available but whatever happens, I believe it could be one of the more important moves the organization makes in the next three years. 

I think that question will be answered his off season.  Very seldom does a team let a long tenured manager enter the final year of his contract with uncertainty.  They will probably either give him an extension or they will "mutuallly" part ways after the season.  I could see them giving him another year or two, whatever gets him to 20 years, but I don't think we will see him get another 5 years or anything like that.  Granted this is pure speculation on my part.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think that question will be answered his off season.  Very seldom does a team let a long tenured manager enter the final year of his contract with uncertainty.  They will probably either give him an extension or they will "mutuallly" part ways after the season.  I could see them giving him another year or two, whatever gets him to 20 years, but I don't think we will see him get another 5 years or anything like that.  Granted this is pure speculation on my part.  

Angelswin will be amusing at that time

I think we're going to see Arte selling the team -- if not as soon as 2018 perhaps by 2020 --

I think the thrill of owning an MLB team has worn off/ thin for Arte.......and how he's a sole proprietor type competing against the corporate conglomerates -- can't be a whole lot of fun.........and then there's his good pals over at the City of Anaheim.....

so by about 2020 I see a whole new crew -- new owner, new front office and new manager.........

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

I don't mind having a new manager ... although, getting a better manager is highly unlikely. 

well put.  Mike is a very good manager.  Does well with the x's and o's.  Not perfect by any stretch but better than most I have observed.  His players like him for the most part.  

No manager can win without talent and there is definitely a formula of team construction that helps him succeed.  Those teams have been able to get more wins than would be expected in most cases.  

Mike won't leave or be let go because he's not a good manager, but only if he ceases to be a good fit for this org and their philosophy going forward.  Even though the public love fest between him and Eppler is fairly contrived as far as I'm concerned, there does appear to be a certain level of 'homeostasis' achieved relative to the dynamic.  

It certainly does feel like Mike is truly functioning in more of a managerial role as of late as opposed to more of a hybrid manager and front office guy.  

I have no doubt that he wields more power than most if not all managers in baseball but the current dynamic seems to be working.  

Because Eppler seems to have significant control over player personnel and development, the most important thing about the end of the 2018 season isn't going to be whether Scioscia stays or moves on but whether Eppler's process is working.  That's 1.5 more seasons of minor league play, another draft, and an ongoing influx of international signings as well as trades, and minor league free agent pickups.  At some point, that is going to have to translate into more wins on field and the only way to have that happen is if the players at the major league level get better.  The process will never be 'complete', but we'll have a much better idea of where things are going to be by then.  Whether some of our young pitchers can shake the injury bug.  Whether some of our current prospects are going to translate to the majors.  

One could almost conclude that Scioscia either gravitated or was forced into a more prominent role beyond being a manager because of Reagins ineptitude and Arte's inappropriate allocation of resources.  And slowly but surely, Eppler has changed that.  

Talent will determine what happens after 2018.  Scioscia has a hand in that, but by and large it will be Eppler and the rest of his team who determine where we are going.   

17 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Another season after 2018 takes Sosh to where only four other managers have ever gone: manage one team for at least 20 seasons.

Mack, McGraw, Alston, and Cox

More importantly, he will have racked up more commuter miles than any manager in history.  They'll have to induct his carbon footprint into the HOF.

1 hour ago, Junkballer said:

More importantly, he will have racked up more commuter miles than any manager in history.  They'll have to induct his carbon footprint into the HOF.

Think about it, all of those seasons commuting at least 140 miles round trip at least 80 times per season.

Is the manager position part of the entertainment package you are selling?

I know having a good manager is important, and stability is also important.  But you can't get stale either.

Scioscia has been here long enough.  If nothing else, I am just bored with him.

I don't believe in a revolving door annually for the manager but a new one every 5-7 years seems healthy to me.

18 years with one manager would also be fine if the team was collecting poatseason series trophies.

It's time for a change.  And that doesn't mean I hate Scioscia or that I think he has been terrible.

Good or bad, that is a long enough run.