• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sean Newcomb

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Yup. I'd make that trade today still. Look how much trouble we've had filing 2B and LF recently. Could you imagine if we had to fill SS on top of that?

I still struggle with it....Hated it at the time because I didn't want to give up young arms....Simmons is terrific, no argument from anybody on that....but I'd sure love to have Newcomb....but, you're right, who would be the SS?  Aybar was done...and we still haven't filled 2b in my opinion....Maybin has given us at least one year solution in LF....

21 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I still struggle with it....Hated it at the time because I didn't want to give up young arms....Simmons is terrific, no argument from anybody on that....but I'd sure love to have Newcomb....but, you're right, who would be the SS?  Aybar was done...and we still haven't filled 2b in my opinion....Maybin has given us at least one year solution in LF....

The trade is bad because the angels need young cost controlled guys, especially arms.  Instead they trade them away for a SS that makes 10m a year and for what?  They cant even make the playoffs.

You need a SS? Draft one until you are ready to contend.

58 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If you do the math, seems like a high quality shortstop is a more difficult commodity to aquire than pitcher. 

Why did the Braves trade Simmons then?  Why did the Angels trade Segura?

Braves will be contending in 3-5 years with Newcomb at the top of their rotation while the angels are still stuck in last place with a high payroll and aging roster.

25 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Braves will be contending in 3-5 years with Newcomb at the top of their rotation while the angels are still stuck in last place with a high payroll and aging roster.

I highly doubt that's what the Angels look like in 3-5 years.

We were in a win-now mode (as best as we could afford) at the time of the trade and Newcomb wasn't going to factor into the '17-'18 teams very much. If Shoe, Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, and Trop had stayed healthy the past two years, Newcomb may have not even been needed for another year or two.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

The Braves traded Simmons because they wanted to go into a full rebuild mode and compete in the next 3-5 years.  Starting next year, they'll probably start trending upward in the wins total.  

Angels traded Segura to get Grienke as a rental for a playoff push.  He was also blocked by Aybar and Kendrick in the middle of the infield, very few people thought he would turn into the player he is but that's the risk with prospects or that Aybar would fall off a cliff.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  

38 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

The Braves traded Simmons because they wanted to go into a full rebuild mode and compete in the next 3-5 years.  Starting next year, they'll probably start trending upward in the wins total.  

Angels traded Segura to get Grienke as a rental for a playoff push.  He was also blocked by Aybar and Kendrick in the middle of the infield, very few people thought he would turn into the player he is but that's the risk with prospects or that Aybar would fall off a cliff.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  

Angels trading Segura is one reason Newcomb was traded. Segura at short and Newcomb on the mound would have been nice......

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Angels trading Segura is one reason Newcomb was traded. Segura at short and Newcomb on the mound would have been nice......

And if we have Newcomb we wouldn't have Simmons.  What's your point?  Yes, Segura and Newcomb are good players, but it's not like the Angels didn't get back what they thought they were getting back.  Grienke gave the Angels a great starter down the stretch and the Angels thought they would resign him, but it didn't work out.  Simmons has been better than advertised, what more would you want?  Sometimes prospects pan out and sometimes they don't.   

Really? People here are still comparing this trade?  Simmons proved his worth like 2 months into last season.  Dude is a stud defender and is getting better and better with the bat.  Even if Newcomb turns into a 2nd or 3rd starting guy, the deal is still worth it.  People here act like we had some young SS prospect all ready to go.  Live in the now people.  The Simmons trade happened and most of us predicted it as a win win for both teams.  Like it's already been stated, we needed to win now and Simmons did that and continues to.

6 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Like it's already been stated, we needed to win now and Simmons did that and continues to.

Ya we needed to win now and we won last year and were gonna win this year and we will certainly win for the next 5 years with all this high priced talent leading the way.  This win now strategy is totally working, my bad.

3 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Well, I would have to say Dipoto was a dipstick to trade Segura and the Braves contending in 3-5 years are behind the Angels if that is the timeline.

You're really not bouying your argument.

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Hmmm don't really see all that much complaining. Just monitoring how Newcomb is doing. A lot of people were trashing Newcomb and saying it was a lopsided deal. Wrong.

Who said anything about complaining?

7 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Simmons is the best SS this team has ever had. We've been spoiled by some very good SS over the years as Angels fans. But honestly none of them are even close to Simmons' level imo. Especially if he hits like he has this year

I don't think we've been spoiled. I'm not sure how many of our shortstops I'd put in the "very good" bracket 

13 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Ya we needed to win now and we won last year and were gonna win this year and we will certainly win for the next 5 years with all this high priced talent leading the way.  This win now strategy is totally working, my bad.

So we should only want to win 5 years from now? 

13 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Dear future, I'm ready.