• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sean Newcomb

It looks like the Simmons trade is a win, win for the Angels and the Braves. Sean Newcomb has made 3 starts so far for Atlanta and despite an 0-2 record. In just 16.1 innings he has an given up 4 ER, with 13 Ks while walking 7 batters. He has scattered 12 hits, including 1 HR to go along with the 7BB.

His ERA is 1.96, and a WHIP of 1.036 and ERA+ 225. He would be a welcome addition to the Angels rotation but Simmons is perhaps having best season ever and is playing at an All Star caliber, but with so many good SS in the AL with a bat especially, he seems to be a long shot to make the team. Him and Maybin have both played well enough to be All Stars, but if Trout is recovered in time, neither will be on the team barring injures to key players. If Trout is not ready, in time at least 1 Angel will be put on the team to satisfy the rule of at least 1 player from each is represented on the team.

Context is key when evaluating the Simmons trade. At the time it was made, Newcomb was still easily a couple years away from making any real impact in the rotation, which at the time was stacked, and the team was squarely in win-now mode. 

The Angels needed a player that could impact the team immediately to keep them competitive during the Trout window and Newcomb wasn't going to be providing that for a couple seasons. It's a win win trade for both orgs, and that's fine.

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

It looks like the Simmons trade is a win, win for the Angels and the Braves. Sean Newcomb has made 3 starts so far for Atlanta and despite an 0-2 record. In just 16.1 innings he has an given up 4 ER, with 13 Ks while walking 7 batters. He has scattered 12 hits, including 1 HR to go along with the 7BB.

His ERA is 1.96, and a WHIP of 1.036 and ERA+ 225. He would be a welcome addition to the Angels rotation but Simmons is perhaps having best season ever and is playing at an All Star caliber, but with so many good SS in the AL with a bat especially, he seems to be a long shot to make the team. Him and Maybin have both played well enough to be All Stars, but if Trout is recovered in time, neither will be on the team barring injures to key players. If Trout is not ready, in time at least 1 Angel will be put on the team to satisfy the rule of at least 1 player from each is represented on the team.

I am confused with the math.  How does 4 earned runs in 16.3 innings equate to a 1.91 ERA?  Isn't that a 2.2 ERA?

A second point.  If the Angels are over 500 at the break I wouldn't be surprised to see a second Angel on the team.  Finally Trout should stay out of the all star game if it meant costing Simmons a deserved All star selection.

41 minutes ago, Taylor said:

7 walks in 16 IP is not good. Let's see how he's doing after about 10 starts. I'm not rooting for him to fail, but it's a bit early to declare him an ace.

Actually it's 18.1 IP but yeah...

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

I am confused with the math.  How does 4 earned runs in 16.3 innings equate to a 1.91 ERA?  Isn't that a 2.2 ERA?

A second point.  If the Angels are over 500 at the break I wouldn't be surprised to see a second Angel on the team.  Finally Trout should stay out of the all star game if it meant costing Simmons a deserved All star selection.

My Bad 18.1 innings typo. 1.96 ERA

Simmons isn't the best SS. Correa has the most votes with Lindor is close behind. Even if Trout misses the All Star game it's no guarantee Simmons goes, Maybin has been awfully good since becoming the lead off man. His OBP is second only to Trout.

How do you think the Angels will get a second player on the All Star team even if we are over .500. They won't be voted in.  The player select the remaining players except for the final two also get voted on by the fans. There are 2 less players per team this year for reason. I think Simmons chances of making the All Star team is remote.

Other than Trout, I don't think any Angel farm product while playing for the Angels has ever been voted into the All- star game by the fans.

At least not since 1968, which was my first year as a fan.

This will no doubt continue.

If I am wrong, Wally Joyner might have been the exception. I do not remember.

40 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

Other than Trout, I don't think any Angel farm product while playing for the Angels has ever been voted into the All- star game by the fans.

How about Vlad? Pretty sure he was voted in 2004-2007 as an Angel. At least he was a starter in those games.

The fact that fans never managed to vote Tim Salmon into the all-star game still baffles me.  Our fan base has a history of being apathetic when it comes to all-star voting.  The organization hasn't done much to promote it either.  I can remember other ball clubs who had clever campaigns like "I punched A.J." and other campaigns to promote fan voting, but it doesn't happen in Anaheim.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

The fact that fans never managed to vote Tim Salmon into the all-star game still baffles me.  Our fan base has a history of being apathetic when it comes to all-star voting.  The organization hasn't done much to promote it either.  I can remember other ball clubs who had clever campaigns like "I punched A.J." and other campaigns to promote fan voting, but it doesn't happen in Anaheim.

He was a slow starter in first half of the season, he heated up in the second half.

3 hours ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

GA in 2003? 

Plenty of pitchers, but they arent votes in

34 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Good for Newcomb that he is having more success than Erick Aybar. Which would be our platoon at SS with Cliff Pennington right now if Eppler hadn't made the trade. 

Yup. I'd make that trade today still. Look how much trouble we've had filing 2B and LF recently. Could you imagine if we had to fill SS on top of that?