• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

1 hour ago, HaloCory22 said:

So for some reason the Ducks just signed Beauch to a 1 year 1 million deal with 500K in incentives.

i am assuming its just a stop gap. lindholm and vatanen wont be recovered from their surgeries for a few weeks into the season.

I mean I get that it's not really a significant move payroll wise.  But still, that million could have been helpful come the spring.  

I mean can you imagine Beauchamim and Bieksa out together.  Holy shit.  Nightmare.  

This has been a really disappointing offseason. Apparently it was Marleau or bust.  So they obviously agree we need another top 6 forward but failed miserably in acquiring one.  So I guess we just burned a million bucks on busted ass Francois Beauchamim to "shore up" the D while Vatanen and Lindholm recover.  God help us if he ends up playing significant minutes. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Murray is who he's always been and always will be - the dumpster dive king.

If there's one thing that will eventually do Murray in, it will be pissing away a million at a time on his stop gap/ this may work out real well deals instead of just putting the money/ prospects out for a top quality player.

He's kind of playing not to lose instead of gambling big to win.

The difference between a 3-4 million dollar player v. a 5-6 million dollar player could be huge for this team. So, if you piss away a million dollars twice...

23 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Murray is who he's always been and always will be - the dumpster dive king.

If there's one thing that will eventually do Murray in, it will be pissing away a million at a time on his stop gap/ this may work out real well deals instead of just putting the money/ prospects out for a top quality player.

He's kind of playing not to lose instead of gambling big to win.

The difference between a 3-4 million dollar player v. a 5-6 million dollar player could be huge for this team. So, if you piss away a million dollars twice...

Yea you summed it up pretty perfectly.  

I mean that argument has nothing to do with this season.  There weren't even any forwards that would be a couple million more than Eaves without giving twice as many years.

This was just 1 mil of cap they had to fill in the D corps.  You guys way over value the farm, Megna is nothing and Beauch is at least insurance.

The biggest problem is all the $ already locked up in Getz/Perry/Kes/Lindholm/Rakell.  They will need to pay to keep Silf in a couple years and maybe Cogs.  Plus Ritchie, Montour, etc.

Is he though ? Beauch was getting smoked when we had him 4 years ago.  He's worse now.  The Avalanche, whose D is horrible bought him out cause he's worthless even to them.  I mean we complain about Bieksa, from what I've seen of Beauchmin he's even worse.  I sincerely doubt a guy like Megna gives us less then a guy like Beachumin. 

As far as the offseason.  FA in the NHL is always slim pickings.  I think most of us hoped there would be a trade which very easily could have included a prospect(s). I have no problem trading prospects.  We could have made the Drouin trade happen, Murray was unwilling to roll the dice on it.  Somehow Duchene still hasn't been traded.  Maybe that will happen yet, but giving up 1 million of salary to Francois Beauchumin hampers our efforts at it. 

I think the Drouin trade was just about what was available, the Ducks didn't have what it took, especially because of the exp draft.  With that said, fuck Manson, I would have given him up to keep Theo and I think Theo was terrible this year.

Edited by nate

4 hours ago, nate said:

I mean that argument has nothing to do with this season.  There weren't even any forwards that would be a couple million more than Eaves without giving twice as many years.

This was just 1 mil of cap they had to fill in the D corps.  You guys way over value the farm, Megna is nothing and Beauch is at least insurance.

The biggest problem is all the $ already locked up in Getz/Perry/Kes/Lindholm/Rakell.  They will need to pay to keep Silf in a couple years and maybe Cogs.  Plus Ritchie, Montour, etc.

It's not just about this season. But it does include this season.

You and the rest of us have little idea what is available. Most sportswriters columns are made up of a little bit of info (and sometimes not very good info) and a lot of speculation. Better GM's often make deals with/for players no one thought were available.

It's not that Murray dumpster dived this year and didn't put together a trade that brought a better quality player here. It's the pattern that's developed during his tenure as GM.

He's been GM what ten tears now? Look at the total body of work and see the patterns in it.

Every team dumpster dives to fill out their roster, otherwise they would have too many players committed for multiple years and would get screwed by the cap.

They also have been one of the best teams in the NHL the last 10 years.

Your not getting the point I'm trying to make.

Saying every team dumpster dives is like saying everyone drinks. Some do it too much because they can't stop themselves and it becomes a problem. 

But, that's still not the point. Murray's problem is he does it as a panacea in place of being able to do what good GM's do - make quality deals happen that bring top quality players to your team. A better GM will be able to do this probably every 2-4 years. 

Murray's had ten years. In that time he's shown he doesn't have the ability to do this. The guy is basically an excellent Asst. GM (Now... what job did Murray have when we won the Cup?)

I know this sounds a little harsh because you're right that we have been one of the better hockey teams for about 7-8 years. But this just makes my point even stronger. 7-8 years of being one of the better NHL teams and not one Cup appearance. Maybe this flaw in his abilities is creating a ceiling for this team?

Man, you really don't pay attention to what other teams do.  They all dumpster drive for several players every year, you have to when you are dealing with a salary cap.

Not making it to the cup has more to do with a few highly paid choke artists during the Murray years IMO.  The teams that make it to the cup always do it on the backs of their stars.

Not sure what else is expected here.

We have two of our top four out, we need a body for short term. Beach is cheap, knows the coach and org, and is known to be a good mentor to younger players. Of course he sucked on the avs, it's the avs. He can come here and be a servicable low-minutes guy. 

I'm sure they would have signed cody franson if he was available for this price, but he wouldn't take $1m. 

On 8/21/2017 at 6:01 PM, nate said:

I stopped reading at "You guys way over value the farm"

Nate,

Tell me. Where have every single one of our productive Dmen come from since the lockout season? FA or the farm? 

Anyway, mrwicked nailed it... Lindholm and Vatanen are out for the first month if not more, they needed depth and it was cheap and money that wasn't going to be spent anyway because they can't do any deals past this year because of the cap.

One injury on D or a setback in recovery and they are totally fucked.

The point I was making is GMBM has absolutely zero success with Dmen trades or FA signings. He knows how to draft and that's about it. Again, $1 million is essentially chump change. Beauch on the ice is gonna cost us. When he couldn't cut it on the worst team in the NHL what makes you think he'll even be remotely serviceable for us? Hampus and Sami are our till probably Thanksgivingish? A month and a half or so of the season. Again, not the worst thing imaginable having Beauch fill in for 15 games or so but yikes.. I'd much rather have the younger, faster skater on the 3rd pairing than this aging pylon.

In the grand scheme of things this should be the least of our problems. How the Ducks didn't pull the trigger on a top 6 FW baffles me and that's my main issue overall with this incredibly disappointing offseason.

10 hours ago, nate said:

Some of you don't understand what depth is.

agreed. this is a smart move. with lindholm and vatanen out, you absolutely cannot start the first 4-6 weeks of the season relying on both megna and larsson.  if one or both falter you are scrambling for help and falling behind in the standings. 

with this, opening night looks like:

Fowler-Manson
Beauch-Montour
Megna/Larsson-Bieksa

looks fine to me while the big boys are out.