• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

Two of the top 4 dmen on the team needed shoulder surgery and will miss the first month+ of the season... You think that is GMBM's fault?  Also, looks like every contender I found needs one...

Ducks: 1ZNWPwh.png

Preds: oZGxLCE.png

Blackhawks: hzEja9O.png

Canadiens: 2SXnf7X.png

36 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

You just made my point. A real Cup contender usually doesn't need a $1 million dollar Dman.

Correction. A real cup contender will fill their holes with the farm, and showcase some really good players on the farm.  Thus increasing their value, and then being able to trade off players for an area of need. 

Nate,

Every single Dman on that list is easily more valuable than Beauch. The only two Beauch compares to on that list are old man Rozsival and Jordie Benn. Now tell me. Would you want either of those two on this team? So why not just save the dough and go with the kids? You said yourself it isn't a big deal to have Beauch play for a month/month and a half to fill in. Why can't Larsson or Megna do that? Their speed alone will help them adapt and cover some of their inexperience. Beauch was literally the worst player by corsi in 2016 at -257. Granted, he was on the Avs but if he couldn't cut it with them what the heck makes you think he'll even break camp with us.

I wouldn't be so sure about that Nate.  I doubt Larsson gets a full time role with the team this year. 

Ive said it before and I'll say it again.  I think Megna is a pretty predictable quantity.  I think he's perfectly adequate in the role of a 4th pairing dman this year.  Probably even as a 3rd pairing guy.  I'm higher on him then some of you guys and I think he's going to be a pretty solid blue liner period.  He plays a basic stay at home game and doesn't fuck up.  Which is a fine quality.  He's also a massive dude that skates decently.  Which is also good.    4th pair d is what Beauch is appropriate for at best.  I don't even think he belongs in the NHL tbh.  If they're planning on giving big mins to Beauchmin I believe it's going to be a problem. 

Seriously, go on YouTube and watch some of his play from last year.  He's terrible guys. 

Anyway, at the end of the day this isn't a huge deal.  It's depth, not good depth but whatever.  It's just kind of the cherry on top for a really disappointing offseason like I said before.

Edited by UndertheHalo

39 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that Nate.  I doubt Larsson gets a full time role with the team this year. 

Ive said it before and I'll say it again.  I think Megna is a pretty predictable quantity.  I think he's perfectly adequate in the role of a 4th pairing dman this year.  Probably even as a 3rd pairing guy.  I'm higher on him then some of you guys and I think he's going to be a pretty solid blue liner period.  He plays a basic stay at home game and doesn't fuck up.  Which is a fine quality.  He's also a massive dude that skates decently. 

I'm with you on Megna.  I would really like to see him get a good shot at the club.  And with Vatanen and Lindholm out, was hoping it would be a good long look and hopefully take a spot like Kase tried to do last season.  I mean, what is he 6'4", 225?  That's a pretty beefy Dman.  Then combine that with a +/- of 33 and 23 the last two years.  That shows me he plays a pretty good D.  And how good is a +33?  It led the AHL last season.  Instead, we get to watch 3 pylons.

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

I'm with you on Megna.  I would really like to see him get a good shot at the club.  And with Vatanen and Lindholm out, was hoping it would be a good long look and hopefully take a spot like Kase tried to do last season.  I mean, what is he 6'4", 225?  That's a pretty beefy Dman.  Then combine that with a +/- of 33 and 23 the last two years.  That shows me he plays a pretty good D.  And how good is a +33?  It led the AHL last season.  Instead, we get to watch 3 pylons.

Even bigger 6'5 !! 

To me, a defenseman that has displayed his level of competence at the AHL level is almost a slam dunk to transition into the NHL.  We're gonna ask him to be a competent dman.  Not a guy carrying play or scoring.  He should be fine just doing what he does.  

Heres a scouting report on him. 

SCOUTING REPORT

ASSETS:
Owns ideal size for the blueline position at the National Hockey League level. Usually keeps his game simple and safe, so he has a high level of reliability.
FLAWS:
Doesn't make much of an impact, despite his imposing frame. Needs to become more aggressive in the physicality department to maximize NHL minutes.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Solid defenseman with some upside.

14 minutes ago, nate said:

With Lindholm and Vatanen out til Thanksgiving I would think Larsson and Megna will both play a lot and Larsson starting til at least one of them gets back. 

Fowler, Montour, Manson, Bieska, Beuchemin, Holzer.  That will be your six.  They aren't going to bump Bieska, we've seen that last year.  Beuch is coming to be with Carlyle, so they won't bump him.  And Holzer was just signed for 2 years, they won't bump him.  I hope I'm wrong, and they give Megna, Larsson, and Wilinski a shot.  But I've been following sports, especially in Anaheim, long enough to know that Veterans get a long look and benefit of the doubt over rookies.

14 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Fowler, Montour, Manson, Bieska, Beuchemin, Holzer.  That will be your six.  They aren't going to bump Bieska, we've seen that last year.  Beuch is coming to be with Carlyle, so they won't bump him.  And Holzer was just signed for 2 years, they won't bump him.  I hope I'm wrong, and they give Megna, Larsson, and Wilinski a shot.  But I've been following sports, especially in Anaheim, long enough to know that Veterans get a long look and benefit of the doubt over rookies.

You know 1-3 of those Dmen will be hurt during training camp/preseason/early season. so I am sure Megna or Larson will get a few games too.  Maybe the front office is still exploring a Vats trade and the signed Beauchemin as insurance.  Its hard to complain about 1 yr for 1 mil since depth is never a bad thing. Do we really want a situation like a few years ago where we have to give up picks for someone like Brewer?

On 8/24/2017 at 1:18 PM, nate said:

Larsson will be starting the first month...

I hope so. They can scratch Holzer until Larsson messes up.

I hope all goes well and when Lindholm is back they go with

Fowler/Manson

Lindholm/Montour

Larsson + Bieska/Beauch/Holzer/Megna

If Larsson makes the most of it, there's no sense in them keeping Vatanen & they trade him.

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

On a side note the Ducks offseason has been way more exciting than the Angels current 2017 MLB season.

I bet Bob Murray could do a better job running the Angels than the Angels GM running the Ducks. I don't even know the name of the Angels GM anymore lol.

Billy Eppler and I think he's done great.  

Also, the Ducks offseason craptacular is definitely less amusing then how the Angels have somehow managed to stay alive for the wildcard.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

50 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Billy Eppler and I think he's done great.  

Also, the Ducks offseason craptacular is definitely less amusing then how the Angels have somehow managed to stay alive for the wildcard.  

I didn't even know that, assumed they were dead last in the West.

13 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Yea they're a game or 2 over .500

not a great team.  But there's hope for next year I think. 

I'm surprised the Rangers are worse but they did trade Darvish.

Back to NHL: imagine if Carlyle has Beauchemin/Bieska be the 3rd pairing for some games....they might as well just park it next to the net to block shots lol.

12 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

I'm surprised the Rangers are worse but they did trade Darvish.

Back to NHL: imagine if Carlyle has Beauchemin/Bieska be the 3rd pairing for some games....they might as well just park it next to the net to block shots lol.

I'm sort of expecting that we will see that shit show.  Cuz veterans. 

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I'm sort of expecting that we will see that shit show.  Cuz veterans. 

In that scenario hopefully their minutes are very limited by increasing Fowlers minutes to 27 per game while Lindholm is out, Manson increased to about 24 or 25 minutes per game.

When healthy I hope they limit their minutes even more. They really could have Fowler/Manson, Lindholm/Montour playing enough that Beauch/Bieska get hardly any ice time like how other teams do it.