• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

Something just dawned on me.  Was reading an article about McDavid, and how his salary is lockout proof.  Since $85 million of his $100 million is on signing bonuses.  This was hinting that the NHL could be looking at a lockout for the 2020-21 season. 

Was curious and looked at the salaries of players.  And indeed, Lindholm and Fowler take some cuts during those years.  Interestingly, Fowler also takes a cut in 2022-23, when the CBA expires if the PA doesn't opt out in 2020. 

Here is the interesting thing.  Both Perry and Getzlaf's contract ends in the 2020-21 season.  So in theory, both of their last seasons with the Ducks may be 3 years from now in 2019-2020, not the full run of their contract in 4 years.  Oh, and Sami Vatanen may be chosing the worst time to become a UFA. 

On 7/18/2017 at 8:08 AM, gotbeer said:

What to make of the Anaheim Ducks’ offseason moves

2020 Vision: What the Anaheim Ducks roster will look like in three years

The 2020 roster doesn't look all that bad.  With a few trades/signings on offense, even with the granddads, we should still be in it.

Adding someone like Connor Brown, Duchene or Galchenyuk would make a huge difference in that 2020 team.

Could a three team trade work between Anaheim, Toronto & Colorado ? or Anaheim, Montreal & Colorado ?

Toronto gets Vatanen, Colorado gets Brown + prospects or pick, Anaheim gets Duchene.

Colorado gets to Tank harder, Anaheim & Toronto get stronger.

or if Colorado doesn't want to trade Duchene to the west, Toronto could trade for Duchene & flip him to Anaheim for Vatanen.

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Could a three team trade work between Anaheim, Toronto & Colorado ? or Anaheim, Montreal & Colorado ?

Toronto gets Vatanen, Colorado gets Brown + prospects or pick, Anaheim gets Duchene.

Colorado gets to Tank harder, Anaheim & Toronto get stronger.

or if Colorado doesn't want to trade Duchene to the west, Toronto could trade for Duchene & flip him to Anaheim for Vatanen.

I know I've said it a bunch of times over the last several years but I still think Nazem Kadri is almost a perfect fit for the Ducks.  Very good 2nd line center that brings a lot of offensive skill and strong 2 way play.  He can also be an agitator which we all know the Ducks brass loves.  Kadri is willing to go to the dirty areas.  Plus on top of all that he's on a really good contract.  Toronto is stacked with guys up front.  They might listen on Kadri. 

Then again, after last year he might be untouchable. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, nate said:

Can't trade Vatanen anymore IMO.  Maybe in a couple years if Larssen steps in

I've been thinking a lot about the possibility of using Menga in a top 6 role.  He's a big guy and seems to play a mature game.  I thought he looked pretty good in the little bit of time he played in Anaheim last year.  I haven't seen enough of Larsson to really have an opinion.  The Ducks are apparently very high on him though and the scouting reports are all solid.  Dude was a 1st round pick after all.   Montour is just young, but based on what we saw last year I'm pretty high on him.  I think his ceiling is sky high.  IMO he has the potential to be the best one of all these guys we've got on D. 

I think if we could have a more potent offensive punch Manson, Lindholm and Fowler might be good enough.  They're all young and can log big mins.  You're right though, it's a roll of the dice. 

I think we're not in great shape to beat Edmonton as it stands right now though.  So not pulling the trigger on a trade is a roll of the dice as well. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I honestly think Megna is just another Holzer type.  Seems like the org isn't very high on him.  Montour was amazing in the playoffs, one of the most deft skaters on the team.  I think his ceiling is Cam Fowler and his floor is Vatanen

Edited by nate

I'm a little higher on Menga.  He's bigger then Holzer and moves better.  I was impressed with his ability to move the puck out of the zone.  He  just seemed very competant to me.  Just a very solid meat and potatoes style of play.  As I've mentioned before, I think that's something the Ducks D has missed.

im a big fan of D men that punch u in the mouth and clear the zone.  Ruslan Salei was awesome at that stuff.  Never flashy but just damn good at shutting down the zone.  I think you disagree with me on this Nate, but I think that sort of imposing presence is important.  The Ducks just haven't it recently.   I'm hopeful that Josh Manson fucks up less and becomes like that and I have hopes for Menga as well. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

21 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I know I've said it a bunch of times over the last several years but I still think Nazem Kadri is almost a perfect fit for the Ducks.  Very good 2nd line center that brings a lot of offensive skill and strong 2 way play.  He can also be an agitator which we all know the Ducks brass loves.  Kadri is willing to go to the dirty areas.  Plus on top of all that he's on a really good contract.  Toronto is stacked with guys up front.  They might listen on Kadri. 

Then again, after last year he might be untouchable. 

Kadri would also be popular among Orange County's Irvine, Lake Forrest & Mission Viejo Muslim community.
Maybe they would become more involved in watching & going to games thus leading to more ticket sales & the Ducks spending closer to the cap.

13 hours ago, nate said:

I honestly think Megna is just another Holzer type.  Seems like the org isn't very high on him.  Montour was amazing in the playoffs, one of the most deft skaters on the team.  I think his ceiling is Cam Fowler and his floor is Vatanen

Montour I could see being a 15 to 20 goal scorer especially if he continues to improve his slap shot

16 hours ago, nate said:

Can't trade Vatanen anymore IMO.  Maybe in a couple years if Larssen steps in

we will have no choice.

raises will be coming to manson, montour, ritchie, kase and gibson soon. nice thing is bieksa, vermette and maroon buyout will be off the books after this year. cogliano too, i love him but he needs to not be on the 2nd line, he just has no hands. $3m is expensive for a 3rd liner playing on the 2nd line. if they extend him i hope it's not for a raise.

but wouldn't surprise me if they keep vatanen, love our d. but man we need scoring. we can't have kesler play 22 mins a night, he was running on fumes by the time the second round of the playoffs started. 

I think what really screwed the Ducks was Vatanen's injury.  I still think once he's shown to be healthy he will be dealt. 

For the Ducks, it just doesn't make sense to hold onto him.  We have Manson/Fowler, and Lindholm/Montour.  Having a Vatanen on the 3rd pairing is a waste.  That's what the Holzers and Bolls are for.  Of course it would be better to have the Megna and Willinski and Larsons there. 

If we could get a future 1 or 2 centerman that could fill in at 3, we have to move him.