• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Braves To Promote Sean Newcomb This Weekend

T.G.

Per MLB Trade Rumors: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/06/braves-promote-sean-newcomb.html

Excerpt: The Braves will promote top left-handed pitching prospect Sean Newcomb to start one of Saturday’s doubleheader games, reports Mark Bowman of MLB.com (on Twitter). Whether it’s a spot start or a potential audition for a long-term spot in the rotation — Bartolo Colon has struggled all season and was placed on the disabled list yesterday — Newcomb will be making his MLB debut this weekend. The lefty isn’t on Atlanta’s 40-man roster, though the Braves have an open spot for him.

Let the gnashing of teeth begin

Despite the walks, Nuke hasn't posted an ERA over 3.86 in the minors. He's been successful because the quality of his pitches are high. 

He walks a lot of batters, but he strikes out even more. I mean basically at this point we can surmise that in the majors, Newcomb will likely go 5 innings a night, allow one run, walk three and strikeout seven.

The Simmons trade isn't as big of a slam dunk as we all seem to think. The Braves are getting six cheap years of a good version of Hector Santiago, plus a solid reliever or back end starter in Chris Ellis.

Yeah, I think we came out on top because Simmons is a position player, and the best defensive shortstop in baseball at that, so he affects the outcome of the game every night. But Nuke's going to be a very solid big league pitcher. It's not like the Braves are major losers here.

It's more like a win-win for every side.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

So far, the Simmons trade has been a steal for the Halos.   Ellis isn't ready yet for a MLB spot, and Newcomb is still wild and entering his mid 20s.

Ellis was traded to St Louis in the Jaime Garcia trade 

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Prediction: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K and a board meltdown 

LOL..    Wonder which camp is bigger -- the people wanting to see him do well so that can question the Angels intelligence or the people wanting to see him fail in order to validate the Simmons trade. 

When it's all said and done -- Scotty was right in saying it's likely a win win trade.   The Angels got a 4 WAR SS locked up for 5 years...   For Atlanta to equal that Newcomb will need to be at worst a Chris Archer level pitcher to get the same sort of value.   I doubt either team regrets the move.

8 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Everyone could talk all the shit they want because Dipoto drafted the guy and they think Simmons was a better fit for us. Maybe he was. But we don't know what Newcomb will do in the majors. Right now, the Angels aren't winning shit, so hopefully Simmons can be part of the future. 

Simmons has been good for us as of now and has played as expected. Personally, I liked the trade. But Newcomb gets shit on here that isn't really deserved. He hasn't pitched bad in the minors at all and has moved up pretty quickly. Whether he's good or not in the majors remains to be seen. But the guy got the job done in the minors, even with the walks.

Pretty sure Newcomb and Jones are the two guys drafted by JD that everyone loved at hello.   Not sure if questioning the amount of walks is an example of shitting on the kid -- but for the most part people believe he's going to be a sure thing MLB pitcher.  

I was convinced Newcomb would settle his mechanics and start throwing the ball over the plate.  So I wasn't happy about the trade at the time because of Sean's front line starter potential.  Something that we need big time.  Simmons defense has been more than advertised.  It's other worldly.  There are so many things he does that don't show up in the box score and that would be impossible to assign a stat value.  

Best of luck to Newcomb, but I think that bb rate is gonna be a problem.  being effectively wild in the minors because just being wild in the majors.  Especially as a starter.  

I was totally against the trade. And even if he turns out just average, i wish we could have kept him.

That said, simmons is a bonafide stud, and was completely wrong. It was a good trade for both teams.

Our lack of depth in SP wouldnt be solved with one above average pitcher. But our woes would be even worse with another pennington bandaid at short.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

this is why i don't value prospects as much as proven talent.

because i said that newcomb will light it up.

To me the move all came down to money and security. Newcombs upside is a little north of Simmons, but so is every highly touted prospect. The Angels likely traded roughly equal talent but got it guaranteed in exchange for taking on Simmons meager contract. All we will miss out on are those really nice pre arb years, but as we all know, that's just extra yacht fuel for Arte.

I'm not that sure the Braves think Newcomb is ready. I'm leaning toward the opinion that the Braves are in a double-header bind and have no other options. They know Newcomb is a walking machine, but, hey, let's roll the dice. The weekend series with the Mets features a bunch of TBA pitchers from both sides.