• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This bullpen deserves its own thread

I was just glancing at stats and it's seriously impressive how quickly this pen came together and got good. We're in June now so I feel like we've surpassed the fluke stage.

Middleton: 2.19 ERA, 12.1 IP, 1.05 WHIP, 11.7 K/9

Norris: 2.60 ERA, 27.2 IP, 1.04 WHIP, 11.7 K/9

Parker: 2.42 ERA, 26 IP, 1.03 WHIP, 13.8 K/9

Petit: 2.04 ERA, 35.1 IP, 0.93 WHIP, 10.4 K/9

Hernandez: 3.24 ERA, 16.2 IP, 1.14 WHIP, 9.2 K/9

That's 4 closer level relievers right there, and we don't even have our best pen out there with Bedrosian, Street, and Bailey out. It could be even better by bumping guys like Alvarez and Pounders. We haven't had a pen this good in a long, long time and I suspect it's one of the main reasons we're still hanging near .500

41 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Eppler does seem to have the talent (and maybe the scouts) to find relievers each season that fit in here. 

Exactly. Relievers are so up and down, both in health and effectiveness, that hanging onto a hot commodity that a deep contender needs for a stretch run, and is willing to trade some solid prospects for...IMO it's foolish to hang on to the bullpen arm.

Get the future bats and replace the reliever you trade, by sifting through the peanuts in the off season.  

(Of course you need to be honest and able to throw in the towel, and look towards the future.)

50 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Exactly. Relievers are so up and down, both in health and effectiveness, that hanging onto a hot commodity that a deep contender needs for a stretch run, and is willing to trade some solid prospects for...IMO it's foolish to hang on to the bullpen arm.

Get the future bats and replace the reliever you trade, by sifting through the peanuts in the off season.  

(Of course you need to be honest and able to throw in the towel, and look towards the future.)

I'd hate to lose any of these 4 guys. Middleton is obviously sticking around since he's under control for a while.

But you're making a big assumption that they can continue to have this much success finding relief pitchers. I'd definitely try to extend an offer to Petit, Norris, and Parker. 2018 is supposed to be our comeback year with all kinds of people coming back from injury. They'll need to continue to have a good bullpen to have a shot, and i'm betting those 3 won't be very expensive. Reason I say that is because they don't have a huge track record, but that's a double edged sword because that's also a reason I don't think they'd get a lot back in trade for them. I'd rather extend them a contract.

It was mentioned in another thread, but someone said packaging two of them together may actually net you a pretty good prospect at this point. Something worth considering if the haul is looking light for what they're worth. 

Whoever we trade, hopefully Eppler and Co. can replicate the success for next year's pen.