• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

US to pull out of Paris Accords

30 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Love it.

it is all symbolic and that is usually bad policy

How is it symbolic?

I guess you could consider the voluntary agreements to curb emissions as symbolic, though I don't see it that way...a large part of the agreement was setting the framework for combatting the issue of climate change and getting countries to work together to address the issue. There is also significant contributions from nations in helping smaller/developing countries build their industrial base utilizing clean technologies and the US (through private/public funding) was large part of that.

But that's not fair? Well, I guess that is one way to look at it.

The US economy, still one of the largest polluters, has been making an economic transition to services/white collar activities which contribute less to greenhouse gasses. Developing countries are more likely to focus on heavy industry which will contribute to greenhouse gas emissions. By helping the poorer nations develop cleaner industries you lessen not only their impact, but reduce the impact of your own emissions or amount you need to curb.

The harsh reality is also that richer nations will face outsized financial burdens, not only to their own economy but the potential humanitarian crisis associated with climate change.

It is symbolic because it will have almost no impact on the climate.  Just a photo op to say "we did something ".

basically just like trump and the cons at the rose garden after "passing" trumpcare.

however, considering my libertarian leanings I sure and the hell don't want international governments telling us what to do

34 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

It is symbolic because it will have almost no impact on the climate.  Just a photo op to say "we did something ".

basically just like trump and the cons at the rose garden after "passing" trumpcare.

however, considering my libertarian leanings I sure and the hell don't want international governments telling us what to do

First statement is not true, data provided by the administration on .2 reduction is widely contradicted...and keep in mind as targets are met countries are expected to further reduce emissions. This is not to say it will solve the issue, but it certainly provides a mechanism for countries to work together.

https://www.climateinteractive.org/insights/response-to-white-house-talking-points-on-paris-agreement/

But that’s not correct, according to John Sterman, a researcher at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who works to analyze climate change scenarios, and Andrew Jones, a researcher with the think tank Climate Interactive.

Their analysis shows that the current country level pledges under the Paris agreement would reduce the planet’s warming by the year 2100 down from 4.2 degrees Celsius (7.6 degrees Fahrenheit) to 3.3 degrees Celsius (5.9 degrees Fahrenheit), or nearly a full degree Celsius.

They don't, it's voluntary...hence part of the reason for his withdrawing has more to do with catering to his base and the anti-science crowd.

Here is the DoD talking about climate change and it's potential impact on the US.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-martin-paris-climate-change-20170601-story.html

On July 23, 2015, the Department of Defense released a report requested by the Senate Appropriations Committee titled, “National Security Implications of Climate Related Risks and a Changing Climate.” The document was crystal clear: “DOD recognizes the reality of climate change and the significant risk it poses to US interests globally.” It stated that “climate change is an urgent and growing threat to our national security, contributing to increased natural disasters, refugee flows, and conflicts over basic resources such as food and water.”

3 hours ago, red321 said:

It's not just Ford, companies like Exxon were lobbying the US to stay as well as they understand the potential impact has on not just the US, but the global economy. 

US continues to cede leadership on key issues, allowing countries like China to take on a larger role. Hard to imagine just how shortsighted this is when it comes to who owns and builds future energy technologies. If the US thought it was a bad deal or adjustments were made, having a seat at the table would have allowed them to continue having those discussions.

Paris climate deal not open for renegotiation, says France's Macron

It was just another Obama executive order, he didn't have the votes in Congress to make it a treaty.

Trump promised on the campaign to get us out of it so nobody should be surprised by this.

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Don't forget about taking US money

5 hours ago, red321 said:

US continues to cede leadership on key issues, allowing countries like China to take on a larger role. Hard to imagine just how shortsighted this is when it comes to who owns and builds future energy technologies. If the US thought it was a bad deal or adjustments were made, having a seat at the table would have allowed them to continue having those discussions.

Trump said that the US might re-enter the accord under different conditions. What I suspect will happen instead is that he will say that we couldn't get a suitable deal, and the whole thing will die.

Of course, I'm sure that any job losses will be offset by the millions of jobs that he created by attending the G-7 Summit and pissing off all of our allies.

4 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

You need to stop getting your facts from Breitbart.

I keep wanting to agree with the libs and say Trump is totally out of control, but I can't bring myself to

And it's because of their illogical overreactions to stuff like dropping out of whatever the hell this pact is

If I didn't have to read all the whining from my liberal friends on Facebook every day I'd be a much bigger Trump hater.

But the turtles!!

5 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I keep wanting to agree with the libs and say Trump is totally out of control, but I can't bring myself to

And it's because of their illogical overreactions to stuff like dropping out of whatever the hell this pact is

If I didn't have to read all the whining from my liberal friends on Facebook every day I'd be a much bigger Trump hater.

But the turtles!!

Yea man.  Fuck the turtles.