• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sellers versus Buyers

The Mike Trout injury might make the Angels sellers as we approach the trade deadline.  In the long-term, that may not be so bad for us.  With Trout's injury, along with the injuries to Richards, Skaggs, Street, and Bedrosian, it's not out of the question that we may drop further behind the Astros and in the wild card standings.  If that occurs, we may be able to improve our team for 2018 and beyond by moving some players who might garner interest from other clubs. 

Players we might want to listen to offers on include:

• CJ Cron
  • Yunel Escobar
  • Huston Street
  • Kole Calhoun
  • Ricky Nolasco
  • Cam Bedrosian

I'm not suggesting trading everyone/anyone on the list.  I am suggesting listening to offers.  Escobar, Street and Nolasco are in the final year of their contracts.  If the team isn't going to retain them, I'd prefer to get something in return.   

With the upcoming draft, I expect Eppler to perform well and continue to upgrade our farm system. With the free agent class, we can recruit talent now that we will be rid of the Hamilton contract.  Depending on the needs of the other clubs heading into the summer, we may be able to upgrade our major league team or our minor league system via trading some the players I listed.

What do you think? 

1 hour ago, gurn67 said:

Fire sale. Everyone's available for a fair offer except Simmons & Bedrosian who would require overwhelming offers.

Absolutely. Have to have someone left if this team has any hope of winning something/anything in the next four years.

Hopefully someone will value Calhoun's defense and past offensive contributions. 

Also, that Valbuena and Escobar would get hot and they too could get shipped out. 

I honestly would listen on everyone except Simmons.

59 minutes ago, Jason said:

Outside of Simmons, there doesn't seem to be a lot of value in this team 

Bedrosian has value...I would agree with @gurn67 that Simmons and Bedrosian would need significant offers to be moved....I think it would be a bad time to consider moving Calhoun....you would be selling low....otherwise, I'd consider anybody and everybody....

18 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Nolasco might get us Cash Considerations or a 28 year old in Advanced A ball 

The hope would be that he could piece together a few good starts from here into early July....same with Chavez....Nolasco was solid last year after the trade and, before last night, was at least serviceable....Pennington ruined his chance for a serviceable start last night....

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Calhoun isn't going anywhere 

There's still two full months until the trade deadline. 
A good month and Calhoun is back to his norm. A hot month and he could be worth quite a bit. 

But also, Trout could be back in 5 weeks. Simmons had the same surgery last year and was back a week ahead of time.

Still to be determined.

First, let's see how the team plays without Trout. If they wake up, they could say around .500 and improve as injured players start returning. If the Angels are around .500 and have Trout, Bedrosian, Skaggs, and Richards back for the stretch run, they could earn the wildcard.

If the team collapses over the next month, everyone except Trout and injured players go on sale. Players like Norris, Petit, Parker, Ramirez, Shoemaker - even Nolasco and Chavez - could all have some value to a team needing a bit of pitching help. I think also the Angels will want to make room for Cron, in the hopes that he, Escobar, Valbuena, Marte, etc, play well enough to be interesting as trade bait.

At this point the focus really should be on 2018-20 - the last three years of the "Trout Window." How to build a team that gets better each year and is good enough that Trout wants to stay? The Angels can't trade their core pitching, because most of it is on the DL. So they build around Trout, Simmons, and the injured pitchers. Everyone else can be had.

All that said, a lot has to go right for the Angels to contend in 2018, even 2019. They need their starters to come back healthy and actualize their potential. They need some young position players to mature quickly and be better than expected. They need to be savvy on the free agent market.